• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice req'd please (1 Viewer)

JohnnyH

Aldershot till I die!
Hi All,

I have never tried seawatching before & would like some advice on the best techniques for success as I would love to see Skuas,Shearwaters etc.Some pointers on the best sites local to me & times would also be appreciated, I live in NE Hants.

Many Thanks,

John.

Hiya Johnny H

Can't help you with sites do there, but when I go sea-watching in Yorkshire, I sit myself down somewhere comfortable and just literally scan the sea looking for birds bobbing up and down on the waves - usually divers, grebes, auks, and flying between the waves - usually shearwaters, auks etc. As for Skuas, I find there is always a bit of luck involved - look for birds that seem to be trying to get the hell away from something - usually terns and gulls.

What you need for sea-watching is patience... if you have that you should have a good day. Also earlier you start the better your chances of seeing something good is.

Hope this helps - you just need sites now.

The Bird

John,

The closest (recognised) site to you would Selsey Bill, south of Pagham harbour and Chichester. Hampshire is unfortunately not reknowned for its seabird passage.

Next few weeks into early october could be good - I am not sure about ideal wind direction but I am guessing SE especially if after a strong SW blow.

Further afield two of the best sites closest to you would be Portland Bill and Dungeness, check the observatory websites for the best times and conditions.

Good Luck

That's a good one TVM. At least in this part of the world the common seabirds (Kittiwakes, gulls, Gannets, Fulmars) are, mostly, white whilst the good ones (skuas, shearwaters, petrels) are dark. When the passage of seabirds is heavy, my attention is usually triggered by dark birds.

Still, maybe that's why I've never seen a Sabine's Gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back