• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

African Goshawk vs. Two Crows (1 Viewer)

Jan-Salie

South Africa
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd post something I caught on camera this morning. An African Goshawk (If I have it right) in a tussle with two white chested crows.

Gauteng, SA.

Attachments

• IMG_9611.JPG
    IMG_9611.JPG
    559.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9610.JPG
    IMG_9610.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9607.JPG
    IMG_9607.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 21
Hello, welcome to the forum. I don't think it's an African Goshawk (structure and overall pattern look wrong), but not sure what it is. Maybe an immature African Harrier-hawk?

Hi Jan-Salie and a warm welcome to you.

Great pictures these, I hope we may see some more of your images in the Gallery too.

Last edited:
Hello, welcome to the forum. I don't think it's an African Goshawk (structure and overall pattern look wrong), but not sure what it is. Maybe an immature African Harrier-hawk?
Hello,

Yes I wasn't too sure. I was going on the pattern on it's breast and wings.. but to faint to see. I was also wondering why the crows were atting it..? Are the not usually scavengers? 🤔

Hello,

Yes I wasn't too sure. I was going on the pattern on it's breast and wings.. but to faint to see. I was also wondering why the crows were atting it..? Are the not usually scavengers? 🤔
Crows like to mob any raptor, even the ones that pose no threat to adult crows. Some could be a potential threat to young crows or eggs, others are probably targeted in order to force them to relinquish whatever prey they might be carrying.

100% Juv Harrier Hawk. Great pics too of a wonderful bird!
Hi,

Yes, another user also said it could be a Juvenile Harrier. I initially heard the crows and then saw them twirling with the hawk. Maybe they were defending themselves? I'm not sure that crows are hunters 😅 thanks for the info!

Crows like to mob any raptor, even the ones that pose no threat to adult crows. Some could be a potential threat to young crows or eggs, others are probably targeted in order to force them to relinquish whatever prey they might be carrying.
Very interesting, now when I think about it the crows here tend to nest in the cellphonetowers and tall palm trees around my district. It could be that the hawk was trying it's luck with these crows, or as you said, it might have had food and had been passing through their territory.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back