• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albino Hawk??? Minneapolis Minnesota (1 Viewer)

On my way to go view swans at a local stretch of open river, I saw a bright white bird in a tree from the highway and thought maybe it was a Snowy Owl. After getting off the highway and onto the local road, I was able to find it again and got a few pictures from a distance. I am unable to identify and the only thing I can come up with is an Albino Red Tailed Hawk.

Can anyone identify?

Attachments

• White Hawk.jpg
    White Hawk.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 150
It's got a red tail, so... yeah.

(Except it's not "albino" - it's got dark beak, possibly dark eyes, and red tail. The more general term is "leucistic".)

(If you Google for "albino hawk" or "leucistic hawk" you'll find lots of similar examples; one from Ohio in 2008 looks like it could be the same bird.)

Hi jmontagu13,

Welcome to birdforum.net!

I agree with narteb - a Red-tail, but not albino.

Such birds are pretty unusual, so that's a really interesting thing to get a photo of. I find it particularly interesting that the red pigments is still available for the bird, but not of the brown; presumably, these are produced by different metabolic pathways.

Peter

Thank you both for identifying the bird. It was exciting to see it as I knew it wasn't common and I've never seen anything like it before. I'll have to head out this weekend and see if I can get lucky and find him in the same area again.

Wow, very nice shot of this hawk. You should think of putting it in our gallery for more people to see.

Great picture! It seems to be doing OK too what with it's coloration. With that solid red tail it must be at least 2 years old and going on three. Keep watching for it.

Bob

What a spectacular find! Beautifully captured as well and I agree, you should post it in the Gallery. It will be treat for all the photographers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back