• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amateur frustration on Coniston Old Man (1 Viewer)

MikeD57

Hello,

Yesterday, on what turned out to be a glorious day, I took my first Lakeland mountain walk in nine years. The trek was enhanced by close sightings of wheatear and a solitary grey wagtail.

There were two other species which I wasn't able to identify. One was a thrush-like bird with a plump breast and rich brown streaks. After getting back and looking in my guide book, I feel that the bird I saw was more like a rock pippit but, again, there remains that frustrating uncertainty. A slightly smaller bird had brown streaks on the upper part of its breast but my lack of expertise couldn't result in a positive identification.

Can anyone please help with identifying these birds?

Hi Mike and welcome to Birforum. The first bird would probably be a Meadow Pipit, as you only find Rock Pipit around the seashore, and if it was on the Old Man it's not quite the habitat for Tree Pipit. As judging the size of birds isn't easy perhaps the second was also a Meadow Pipit. Pipits, by the way, can be notoriously difficult to identify.

Chris

I agree. There's generally hordes of them on the Lakeland fells.

BTW- I envy you! Last time I was on the Old Man there was horizontal sleet and it was blowing a howler.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back