• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Birding Association (1 Viewer)

Yeah was wondering the same thing, but am (sadly?) far from any rumor mills

I do kind of wonder if this has less to do with the gulf coast situation and more to do with the financial issues/"redirection" ABA has made a big deal about in practically every issue this year. The emphasis they keep making makes me wonder if the organization isn't in a much more dire strait than they make out.

It would be truly a shame if they are on verge of imploding. I look forward to each edition of Birding - truly my favorite avian periodical - even if the quality is departing from what it was in prior years' issues. The articles used to rival some of the best scientific text books I've studied. While some of that continues, it's also now tending toward more general/light material. I was absolutely dumbfounded they would include an article from an apparently bitter soul where almost the entire content was complaints about wide brimmed hats. Please!

Yeah was wondering the same thing, but am (sadly?) far from any rumor mills

You're thinking like a 20th century man. If you're connected to the internet, you're right in the middle of the biggest rumor mill in the history of the world.;)

To add to the baseless speculation, I'll suggest that it may be a personal issue that caused the resignation (if that is what it was). Policy differences wouldn't usually lead to leaving a post in mid-term. If there were significant policy differences, the guy probably wouldn't have gotten the post to begin with.

As for the Birding article on wide-brimmed hats. I'm a big fan of wide-brimmed hats, and almost cancelled my membership because of that article. ;) Kidding aside, I actually thought the article was entertaining. It provoked a lot of letters, so obviously got a lot of people thinking. And it wasn't just about hats--it was a curmudgeonly take on birding tour personalities.

Cheers,
Jim

I found that article amusing, but then I am a baseball hat person :)

The road birding game article was pretty much the biggest waste of space to me, and in hindsight the articles talking about changing the ABA area were a waste, since the leadership summarily dissmissed it without any input from average members.

I found that article amusing, but then I am a baseball hat person :)

The road birding game article was pretty much the biggest waste of space to me, and in hindsight the articles talking about changing the ABA area were a waste, since the leadership summarily dissmissed it without any input from average members.

Speaking of waste of space, how about the article—published some years ago now but under the tenure of the present editor—on "sexism" in field guides? For sheer inanity, I don't think that anything has matched it since.

In general, I’ve found much less of interest to read in recent issues of Birding than when I first started subscribing to it years ago, but whether that’s because of changes in the magazine or changes in me I’m not sure.

As for the Birding article on wide-brimmed hats. I'm a big fan of wide-brimmed hats, and almost cancelled my membership because of that article. ;) Kidding aside, I actually thought the article was entertaining. It provoked a lot of letters, so obviously got a lot of people thinking. And it wasn't just about hats--it was a curmudgeonly take on birding tour personalities.
On a tour this spring, our group included a (very pleasant) couple with matching wide-brimmed hats who every day occupied the leading seats in the van, completely obliterating any forward view for everyone else as we searched for trackside birds. Whenever it was politely mentioned, they would apologise profusely and take off the hats, but next time boarding the vehicle the hats would inevitably be there again...

Ah, the joys of group birding!

Richard ;)

Here is first thing I've seen hinting at reasons Robinson is out. It's a quasi-anonymous blog so I don't vouch for the accuracy (though Kenn Kaufman links to it on his site) and have no personal knowledge of any of this, but the allegations don't look pretty, and blog seems to be saying president was forced out for perceived questionable financial management: http://thedrinkingbirdblog.com/2010/07/09/the-abas-presidency-problem-or-from-here-where/

Here's more on future of ABA from Kenn Kaufman who's on the ABA president search committee:
http://birdingwithkennandkim.blogspot.com/2010/07/which-way-for-aba.html

There's certainly a lot of talented birders out there, so one would hope some excellent candidates will step forward.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I've been a member of the ABA since 1983, except for four years following the inane article about "sexism" in field guides. Since I rejoined, my sense of attachment to the organization has been much lower than it was before Paul Lehman was removed as editor of Birding magazine in the 90s. Articles like the wide-brimmed hat article only increase the sense of detachment I have.

I've read the letter that Jon Dunn wrote, and have heard other allusions to what has been going on behind the scenes. As a result, my interest in the organization has diminished to the point that I doubt that I will renew my membership, or even my subscription to North American Birds, come January. I see little of lasting interest for me in Birding, and my interest in the subject matter of North American Birds is not as great as it once was. I survived rather well without Birding for four years and North American Birds for ten, and I can see myself doing so again. Much of the information I want I can glean from the internet.

I suppose if there's a dramatic turn-around between now and then I will renew, but as I already said, I wasn't all that involved before I read Dunn's letter.

It was mentioned in one of the BirdChat posts from Blake Maybank today. Its general comments are very highly condensed in the first blog post you linked to at 8:38 this morning, and an earlier post on the same blog.

Yes it does appear the problems do run much deeper than I had previously thought.
Rick Wright also has a great post on this, although I dont have th great post on this, although I dont have the link handy at th although I dont have the link handy at the moment.

I admit I am still rather annoyed at The ABA board quashing any attempts to expand the ABA area without a vote of members

A very good choice for the new president. Jeff is well respected in the birding community. Let's hope the ABA's glory years are yet to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back