• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angle vs Straight (1 Viewer)

If you expect to be spending a lot of time in hides, then straight. If not, then angled.

I have a Swaro angled, and it is a great scope, but frankly, its a real pain to use in a hide, and even with the body twisted, its still not too easy to find targets quickly.

I suppose the simple answer is to buy one of each :-O

I suppose the simple answer is to buy one of each :-O

Of course ....
but:
we have come to be used to having eyepieces that can be exchanged by a very simply twist and turn mechanism.
So I wonder why not manufacturer has gone the obvious (?) one step further to "cut" the scope between the prism housing and the objective and not between the prism section and the eyepiece?!

Instead of having a two component system we could/would have a three component system with exchangable eyepieces & exchangable prism sections.

Copyright of this idea is with me!

T

If you expect to be spending a lot of time in hides, then straight. If not, then angled.
:-O
Quite agree. Its much easier in a hide or from a car to use a straight scope, but conversely an angled scope is better in a rainforest etc or with birds in flight where you are looking upwards.
Tony

Angles or straight

Tony's comment is right on - each has an advantage based on use. and if you do scan upward the angles certainly is better. Understanding the valuable information on the advantages and disadvantages of each I still believe the only way to pick the best scope for any individual is to get your hands on it and feel what is most comfortable. I choose a straight scope for this reason and have never been sorry for the choice. My friend has recently purchased an angled and after using it for a few months does not like my straight scope.

I am so pleased to have found this thread since I am trying to make a similar decision. Thanks to all who shared their experience.

I own an angled but encounter much inconvenience when I am inside a bird hide which makes me stand all the time even when I have a good seat in front of me. I may earn a few minutes of sitting by turning the scope by 90 degrees but that will cause bird locating problems in an unfamiliar position with body facing away from the birds.

Angled has the obvious benefit of easier sharing especially among people with variance of body heights. May also be more convenient if looking "up" but the benefit may not be important in the open field or marshes when birds are far away at a "level" distance (excluding those flying above). Digiscoping using an angled may also be less convenient if your DC does not have an adjustable LCD panel. If you plan to use your scope on a DSLR as a lens, again an angled is less desirable.

Due to complaints from my wife about her poor share of the scope, I may get a second one. I plan to get a straight scope to compensate for existing shortcomings (when I have the money ... ). I would confirm my "imagination" by trying it out if possible. As far as I can observe, there are more angled on demo than their straight counterparts here in HK.

The biggest issue for me is the environment in which a scope is used. I've used both an angled and a straight scope, and I feel an angled scope is much better for the beach and open places, and a straight scope is better for inland birding. It is much easier to spot birds, aim the scope, and keep a bird in view with a straight scope. I don't want to say that an angled scope is necessarily more comfortable to use, because it isn't if you can control your posture. I use a straight scope all day and don't have any back problems. However, If I've been stressed out and I feel tense, I do have to readjust my posture when using the straight scope. I haven't encountered that problem w/ a angled scope yet. One added bonus of an angled scope is you can rotate the scope from 90 degrees to 70, to 45 to 0 degrees, and the same for the other direction. So that can come in handy.

I would recommend trying both in the field, however, don't agonize too much over it. You probably won't get a great impression of a piece of kit until you use in the field for a week or two.

straight scope for me every time. I had an opticron es 80 and found this un-useable at times in hides as all the shelves are either too low or too high so and i could never get comfortable. Now i use the Kowa 884 and i'm loving it.

Staright 80 here

Bought mine at Cabellas in Michigan on the spur of the moment and the only unit they had in stock was the straight HD 80 and i bought it. Love it with no complaints. Now i have a hankering for the new Leica 82mm APO and thinking i will get this one in angled so then i will have all occasions covered.

Jerry in NW Ohio, USA

Straight scope for me as well. Started with a straight Kowa and have added a Zeiss Diascope 85. I find them much easier to use when mounted on a vehicle window. I also digiscope and the straight scope for me is more comfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back