• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another gull - mixed one ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

So what about this one- Poland, Podhale, august.
I can see features of Yellow legged/ Herring/ Caspian , juv. - dark belly (Herring), wing formula (YL/ Caspian), difuse, light wing bars (Caspian), dark primaries and lack of window (YL), striped tail (Herring). Ufffff ...

Attachments

• _MG_5938.JPG
    _MG_5938.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 34
  • _MG_5937.JPG
    _MG_5937.JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 34
  • _MG_5935.JPG
    _MG_5935.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 34
Had another look on a big screen. It's not a fuscus type anyway (which would show more solid greater coverts etc). One can see parts of the paler inner webs to inner primaries (not completely unvisible like I stated before). But the more or less homogenous dark body/underparts and head together with rather bold markings to uppertail coverts make it very likely a cachinnans x argentatus hybrid (often called 'cactus' among some larophiles).

I didn't consider it to be a fuscus but rather an intermedius. They are moving East after all...

Since you came back to this gull, Lou, I gave it a second look as well. I still find the inner primaries very dark esp. what can be glimpsed of the inner vanes... I always thought that hybrids would in most cases show intermediate features of both parents. So would expect lighter inner primaries, no? A few years back there was a mixed brood of LBBG X Herring Gull. Can you rule out this possibility?

Not completely from these views, Roland. But bill looks long and very pointed, belly flat (with a bump in front and a bump at rear), both structural features of cachinnans. It looks quite a bulky bird also. And I also find what can be seen from the greater covert pattern pretty cachinnans-like: dark outers with pale tips and filigrane (trapezoid - probably, not really well visible here) bars to inner greater coverts. And yes, primaries are certainly darker than in the average Caspian Gull but still possible. I've seen otherwise perfect cachs with very little pale parts to inner webs; such birds were overall dark types. I find the bold markings on uppertail coverts not very good for an intermedius but, well, argentatus heritage anyway. And yes, quite some intermedius move through eastern Europe and winter somewhere in the eastern mediterranean basin.

Not because I doubt your ID of the OP gull, Lou, but because I think it might be of general interest: I know the person who was documenting a hybrid Herring -x- Lesser Black-backed juvenile of a brood on a roof in Rostock. The two photos are shared with permission...

It shows the only juvenile (not fully grown primaries) opening it's wing, showing the intermediate paler inner primaries I would expect of such a combination. I wonder if a 'Cactus' gull shouldn't show even paler inners? But then, the reason I usually more or less ignore large gulls is their incredible variabiliy of features, which I feel I'd be never ever able to deal with properly ;)

50~2.JPG

51~2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back