• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another raptor for ID!! (3 Viewers)

Spud,

"The Humphrey-Parkes Terminology

Humphrey and Parkes (1959) made an effort to establish a uniform series of terms to describe the plumages and molts that express homologies between all groups of birds anywhere in the world. The following is the terminology they developed and which has been adopted by most ornithologists to describe molts and plumages from hatching onward:

Natal Down
Prejuvenal Molt
Juvenal Plumage
First Prebasic Molt
First Basic Plumage
First Prealternate Molt
First Alternate Plumage
Second Prebasic Molt
Second Basic Plumage
Second Prealternate Molt
Second Alternate Plumage
Third Prebasic Molt
Third Basic Plumage

And so on, depending on how long the bird lives.

Notice that the molts are named for the incoming plumage. The term "plumage" is applied to a single generation of feathers acquired by a molt. Any plumage that does not change with age is termed "definitive" (e.g. Bald Eagle definitive plumage is white head and tail with a dark body, acquired after about 4 years)."

Not much use with Accipiters, I fear!

Andy.

The Humphrey-Parkes terminology would benefit a lot if they'd learnt to spell 'juvenile' properly! (and moult too, for that matter, instead of making it sound like something you use to make beer)

The other problem with it is that it gives no indication of what is summer/breeding plumage, and what is winter plumage. I presume 'basic' is breeding, and 'alternate' is winter?

Michael

Michael,

Our American cousins still use spellings that were in use during George III's reign - we, via the Victorians especially, have imported spellings from French etc., purely it seems to be fashionable!

It was explained to me a few years ago in Canada, I couldn't take it all in but I think it was said that the alternate was the breeding plumage.

Andy.

In North America, BASIC plumage refers to winter, non-breeding plumage. ALTERNATE plumage is the summer or breeding plumage.
I believe the Humphrey-Parkes Terminology gets a little carried away with all the "molts", "plumages", "prealternates", etc.

Larry

Sirs,
To close out on the Northern Goshawk vs Crested Goshawk, three observers who saw the bird are certain that it was smaller than a Northern Goshawk and they had other birds circling together at the same time for comparison. Just on size, Crested is much more likely between the two.
Also, to the best of my knowlegde there are at least 3 documented records of Northern Goshawk from the south of India. I'll try and find out if they are specimen records.
Sumit

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back