• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Skua ID (1 Viewer)

martinattullymet

Skua pics taken on Skye on Tuesday evening, resting from mobbing Common Gulls, My thoughts are that its an Arctic Skua, but some think that it might be a Long Tailed ? Any thoughts please.

Martin

Attachments

• KICX3190.jpg
    KICX3190.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 140
  • KICX3221.jpg
    KICX3221.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 127
  • KICX3243.jpg
    KICX3243.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 172
  • KICX3255.jpg
    KICX3255.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 190
The white blaze around the bill and the lack of any strong contrast between the primaires and coverts both suggest Arctic Skua (aka Parasitic Jaeger or Arctic Jaeger).

I can see why some people may be thinking this is a Long-tailed Skua, as the grey upperparts appear to be closer in colour to LTS than to Arctic's usually darker upperparts. However, i think this may partially be a photographic effect. As Bird Hard pointed out, the lack of contrast between the coverts and primaries indicates Arctic, as does the narrow pale blaze above the bill. Also, LTS has a cleaner cut, blacker cap than Arctic, which contrasts more with the mantle.
See: http://www.svalbard-images.com/photos/photo-birds-011-e.php for a nice adult LTS, and http://www.hlasek.com/stercorarius_parasiticus_954.html
for a selection of both species.

And it should have long tail streamers this time of year, although its certainly possible for an individual to lose them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back