• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any opinions on the Athlon Cronus G2 here? (1 Viewer)

Akhil O

Some context: I am entering world of scopes, pretty much never having tried one, despite birding for 25 years. I want to up my birding skills, and get better at IDing waders, gulls... You know... The really confusing ones. I also want to increase my reach for seawatching, and dabble into casual stargazing.

I was looking at a good place to start, solid optics but under $1000 for sure.
I stumbled upon the Athlon Cronus G2 (86mm, 20-60x fixed) and it seemed to be a good deal. (Thanks gr8fuldoug)

It's on the larger and heavier side, but currently I don't intend to use it on long hikes, so I thought bigger the better if it's on a tripod.

I've ordered it without too much information - no reviews here - and can't compare it to what might have been other options (used MM4 77, used Nikon 82 etc) that seem to be the gotos in a mid budget range.

Still, I'm very curious to see if anyone has had a chance to try this, especially comparing it with other scopes. The little I've read seems promising.

Here's a YT review:

I believe the G2 is optically as good as the G1, which was known for hitting above it's price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back