• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOS to discard patronyms in English names (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you heard any recent rumblings of a split? There has been talk of a split for years without anything happening, and I’ve pretty much given up hope. (I’ve seen the North American and South American forms so I’d be excited about a split). If the split does occur, then maybe appropriate names for the North American form could include Chestnut-winged Hawk, Cinnamon-winged Hawk, Cactus Hawk…

Dave
There is a current SACC proposal about the split, which follows on a recently published paper. Last I checked the votes were positive for the most part, but I don't think any final decisions were made.

I like Social Hawk for Harris's, which I think gets at the unique social behavior of the species compared to other raptors.

Surely the rest of the English-using world can ignore whatever the AOS come up with? We manage not to call Arctic Skuas Parasitic Jaegers or Great Northern Divers Common Loons, despite the efforts of occasional fie;ld guide authors.

There was a nice one word response to the whole thing on X/Twitter today - Bullock's.
Love the often-used informal name for one of these. 'Bananabill' for White-billed Diver/Yellow-billed Loon🤣

Personally I've never really cared who these people were or what they did. What IS important to me is will I remember the species when I see the name on paper or on a screen. For example 'Anna's Hummingbird' - yes! All sorts of images and memories pop into my head, none of which have anything to do with anyone called Anna. When it comes to dull, forgettable alternatives I'd sooner just use the scientific name🤷‍♂️
It will be very interesting to see, in a couple of years time, will a canvass of members in the US show an increase in the number of members of colour? does such information exist now, are members of the various clubs and groups, asked about their ethnicity on membership forms?

If there is no increase and I don't expct a stampede, we can go back to the old names.

Last edited:
I see 'Birdwatch' has just picked up this issue in a tweet this morning, in a post illustrated with Thick-billed / formerly McCown's Longspur. As @Mysticete says upthread, this has got to be the dullest, most uninspiring name they could've chosen - admittedly I've never seen one, but they don't even look that much thicker in the beak than a Lapland. It's not like it's a dull and featureless bird with nothing else they could've chosen. And it's still got the evil Confederate mccownii preserved in its specific epithet.

It would be excellent if the AOS took this opportunity to fix other chronic English name problems. e.g. replace Parulid 'warbler' with parula, replace Passerellid 'sparrow' with towhee/junco, replace Icterid 'oriole' with troupial...

I honestly don't know if this comment will inflame or ameliorate the reactionaries on this thread!
I've a lot of sympathy for your proposal, but I'm fairly certain I have a minority opinion on this - trust me, it'll inflame everyone!

It will be very interesting to see, in a couple of years time, will a canvass of members in the US show an increase in the number of members of colour? does such information exist now, are mebers of the various clubs and groups, asked about their ethnicity of membership forms?

If there is no increase and I don't expct a stampede, we can go back to the old names.
The same thing will happen with every other name change (at least change not due to a taxonomic lump). People will move on and the old names will just be curious relicts in old field guides.

Michael Retter recently posted an excerpt from 1957 from the Carolina Bird Club Newsletter:

"To the casual field observer and backyard bird watcher, the new fifth edition of the AOU Check-List of North American Birds will seem to have only nuisance value. His Duck Hawk has become a "Peregrine Falcon" and a [Hudsonian] Curlew is now a "Whimbrel". He cannot quite bring himself to call the Olive-backed Thrush a "Swainson's", or apply the name "Rufous-sided Towhee" to the familiar bird beneath his hedge. His dog-eared Peterson, with thumb tabs laboriously glued to the color plates and his "firsts" carefully written into the margins, has suddenly become obsolete! What has he gained in return?"

Michael Retter recently posted an excerpt from 1957 from the Carolina Bird Club Newsletter:

"To the casual field observer and backyard bird watcher, the new fifth edition of the AOU Check-List of North American Birds will seem to have only nuisance value. His Duck Hawk has become a "Peregrine Falcon" and a [Hudsonian] Curlew is now a "Whimbrel". He cannot quite bring himself to call the Olive-backed Thrush a "Swainson's", or apply the name "Rufous-sided Towhee" to the familiar bird beneath his hedge. His dog-eared Peterson, with thumb tabs laboriously glued to the color plates and his "firsts" carefully written into the margins, has suddenly become obsolete! What has he gained in return?"
This, in no way justifies the reason behind the current situation, it's merely 'whataboutism'.

is the Humboldt penguin named after the person or the current? If the latter, the penguin is safe, in the same way that Hudsonian Whimbrel would be safe.
whatever is named after A V Humboldt is not woke.

Both should be renamed for the sake of the do-betters.

The same thing will happen with every other name change (at least change not due to a taxonomic lump). People will move on and the old names will just be curious relicts in old field guides.

In 1957:
  • English was not yet the international lingua franca that it is today;
  • English bird names had not yet been through the international standardization process they have been through today;
  • the changes were not politically tainted, which the current changes clearly are.
May I suggest another possible scenario ? Rather than seeing the traditional names become "curious relicts in old field guides" any time soon, you might well end up with two coexisting, politically tainted, sets of names being in use. Which names you use will then become de facto a political manifesto, and an apolitical discussion about birds in American English will simply become impossible.

I wish you a lot of fun if this happens. :(

Amazilia Hummingbird is problematic.

Here is the text from the Bird Names 4 Birds website explaining why. Worth reading in full.

If there were to be a candidate for the most arcane avian eponym, the Amazilia Hummingbird would surely be a contender. While there are a number of species named for various figures from myths and legend, Amazili is the only character from a work of pure fiction to have a bird species named for them.

Amazili appears in the 1777 novel Les Incas, ou la destruction de l’empire du Perou by Jean-François Marmontel; essentially an early work of historical fiction set during the Spanish invasion of the Incan Empire several hundred years earlier. An Incan woman on the run from Spanish Conquistors alongside the heroes Orozimbo and Telasco.

Her creator, Marmontel was a noted historian and writer, whose circles crossed with the likes of Voltaire and Madame de Pompadour. Born the son of a tailor, he excelled academically which allowed him to pursue his interest in philosophy. However, he struggled to find success upon moving to Paris and eventually turned to Madame de Pompadour, who provided him with a position as Versailles for a number of years.

Following this he would enter a period of comparative success – he would be appointed Secretary-General of the Académie Française and his publishing of Bélisaire – a fictionalised biography of the Byzantine general Belisarius would come to international acclaim in it’s time, as well as courting controversy as a banned book as it critiqued the ingratitude of those in power.

However, a decade later the publishing of Les Incas would prove far less notable. Like Bélisaire, it is a story underpinned by Marmontel’s political beliefs – in this case critique of fantacism represented by the cruelties of the Spanish invasion of Peru.

He would only live two years after the publishing of the book – the French Revoluton would leave him impoverished and he would pass from illness that same year.

As for Amazili, her name only turns up 35 times in the entire text of Les Incas – she is the sister of Orozimbo, and her presence in the story amounts to fleeing the Spanish, fighting two Conquistadors with her bow before being captured once more, before finally commiting suicide as a preferable end to being the slave of Pizarro. She is portrayed as an “exotic” beauty in her appearances, and while capable with a bow, her arc is ultimately based around well trodden European tropes of the vulnerability of women.

In some ways Les Incas could be percieved as progressive for its time in having anti-colonial themes, but that it would lead to an eponym is frankly odd. It would of course be due to Lesson, who seems to be responsible for many of the more incongruous eponyms that Amazilia Hummingbird exists as a name. But as we look to decolonise eponyms, there are few easier places to start than a name that honours a minor problematic character in a mostly forgotten book by an equally mostly forgotten author.

It is especially frustrating that this is the closest avian eponyms get to honouring indigenous woman, and it is of course the fantasiced creation of a white European man.

Concerning names which come from a geographical region which has an honorific, the Bid Names 4 Birds website includes the following on one of its pages on problematic names:

Durmont d’Urville, Adélie

Adélie Durmont d’Urville, née Adèle Dorothée Pépin (1798-1842) has an indirect eponym – her husband Jules Dumont d’Urville was in the French navy and was doctor and naturalist aboard the ship the Coquille which explored the Southern Ocean and South Pacific. He named a section of Antarctica after his wife (Adélie Land) a name which in turn was given to the new species of penguin discovered there.
That is all that is said about the penguin or the person, but given the context (being included with all selective biographies), I think it is pretty clear where they stand on the issue of epoynyms that occur via geography.

Last edited:
Concerning names which come from a geographical region which has an honorific, the Bid Names 4 Birds website includes the following on one of its pages on problematic names:

That is all that is said about the penguin of the person, but given the context (being included with all selective biographies), I think it is pretty clear where they stand on the issue of epoynyms that occur via geography.
Humboldt, coincidentally of Humboldt Penguin and current fame was mentioned the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back