• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with finding this birds name - Ghana (1 Viewer)

Dorcoo

Ghana
Hello! First time bird-watcher here and I'm from Accra Ghana. I live in the city but at every day at dawn, we have a wide variety of birds that pass through. Today I saw a bird I just can't seem to identify. I use the Avibase bird site to check off the birds I see around but this particular bird just isn't there.

Initially I thought it might've been an African Pied Wagtail but the pale yellow colouration threw me off. It's tail was also split but I honestly can't tell if that's what the bird is naturally like, or if it's feathers were wet after taking a bath (it was on an electric line above me) Perhaps it isn't native to Ghana? Or it's a rare coloured mutation of an existing bird here...

Please let me know if you can identify what sort of bird this is.

Attachments

• bird.png
    bird.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
Hi Dorcoo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It would appear to be a swallow species, but perhaps the "yellow" bib was either a trick of the light, or maybe picked up some pollen or something.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Dorcoo,

[edit: sorry Dorcoo, missed that you said it was sitting on a wire--so probably a swallow despite what I suggest below]

Nice drawing of a Collared Pratincole!: https://ebird.org/species/colpra

According to eBird, they should be in your area throughout the year: https://ebird.org/barchart?byr=1900&eyr=2023&bmo=1&emo=12&r=GH-AA

But they are fond of certain types of habitats, and might be found in different areas during migration, so perhaps not always seen regularly in your immediate vicinity.

Last edited:
Dorcoo,

Nice drawing of a Collared Pratincole!: https://ebird.org/species/colpra

According to eBird, they should be in your area throughout the year: https://ebird.org/barchart?byr=1900&eyr=2023&bmo=1&emo=12&r=GH-AA

But they are fond of certain types of habitats, and might be found in different areas during migration, so perhaps not always seen regularly in your immediate vicinity.
Never seen a Pratincole sat on a phone wire, that doesn't meant they don't though?

Agree with Andy, even allowing for artistic license this doesn’t look like a pratincole to me and the behaviour doesn’t strike me as plausible either.
Looks fine for swallow of some type, difficult to say which exactly.
James

Agree with Andy, even allowing for artistic license this doesn’t look like a pratincole to me and the behaviour doesn’t strike me as plausible either.
Looks fine for swallow of some type, difficult to say which exactly.
James
Ah. I confess I missed the sitting on a wire part. So probably a swallow.

Last edited:
A (very!) rare occasion with a photo-less ID query when one can give a worthwhile answer - indeed, a definite answer - or as definite as a small species-group anyway. The OP clearly saw (and drew remarkably well, given that it's a bird s/he wasn't familiar with) an Ethiopian swallow or an immature barn swallow (immature red-chested swallow possibly, but that seems not to be present on the coast).

A (very!) rare occasion with a photo-less ID query when one can give a worthwhile answer - indeed, a definite answer - or as definite as a small species-group anyway. The OP clearly saw (and drew remarkably well, given that it's a bird s/he wasn't familiar with) an Ethiopian swallow or an immature barn swallow (immature red-chested swallow possibly, but that seems not to be present on the coast).
I just looked up the Red-chested Swallow, and that honestly might be it! Except for the reddish neck being pale yellow, the resemblance is spot on. Thank you very much. This was fun :)

Attachments

• 26377330927_257e110d4e_c.jpg
    26377330927_257e110d4e_c.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back