• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are binoculars good for posture? (1 Viewer)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
Like many people, I often tell myself to "stand up straight" when I realise I've been slouching. I never had military training, but I did enough martial arts / boxing to create a little voice which checks my posture from time to time. These days, I regularly carry a pair of fairly sizable binoculars (42mm) on walks and wear them around my neck (the company website gives the weight as 840g). Having the object supported by the shoulders is a pretty constant reminder of deportment, and pushing the chest out and lifting the head minimises the bumping against the chest.

I have no idea if this is good or bad for the back, all things considered. I guess a lot of people would avoid wearing a 42mm around their neck precisely because it makes its presence felt in this way. But if you don't have the time or inclination for military training or martial arts, perhaps a pair of fairly chunky binoculars will do!

Thoughts?

I have terrible posture and have found that standing around for hours bending and arching back to find little birds in tree-tops, is a real stretching work out. I have to assume it's good for me, tho tiring!

The typical hide viewing position - elbows resting on the shelf with eyes level with binoculars - is not very upright, that's for sure!

Last edited:
I always tell myself on days when there’s barely any birds around that it’s still much better than sitting at home. This morning there wasn’t much happening but I got to observe a Mockingbird handling prey on the ground; beating the cicada on the asphalt for a bit and then finally eating the meat. This is better than staying at home waiting for my work day to begin.

Standing and walking and putting the binocular up to your eyes repeatedly has to be healthier than sitting for long periods of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back