• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are you a "Bottle" or a "Flask" Birder? (1 Viewer)

the trick is to bring only boiled water in the flask

Actually I think it's the milk that goes squiffy, black coffee in a flask lasts fine, just bring the milk separately. Also make sure the water is has boiled but is not still boiling when adding the coffee.

I take my coffee drinking very seriously.

Edit: Top tip number 2 since I'm warming to my subject:

When you get home, put 1/2 tsp of baking soda in the empty flask and fill it to the brim. Put the cap on and simply leave it full till the next time you use the flask. A quick rinse and it's ready to go again - no smells and no scrubbing.

Last edited:
Depends on the time of day, method of transportation, weather, time I'll be out, etc... I usually carry water with me if I'm birding by bike or if it's hot, or if I'm going to be out all day. I'm a regular coffee drinker so I sometimes bring coffee (in a thermos) with me, if I haven't had time to finish it beforehand. Last weekend I went camping, and wandered around the campground in the morning with coffee in one hand and binoculars in the other.

In general, though, I don't like carrying anything extra with me unless I'm really going to need it. For a typical 3-4 hour morning birding trip I usually don't bring anything.

Ok - for me it has to be real coffee - but this doesn't "travel well" in a flask so I try to find one on the way to my birding destination. The flask is usually full of sloe gin! At the end of the day, you usually don't care whether or not you've seen your target bird - I'd better mention at this point that I can only do this when I'm not driving.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back