• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone noticed their NL Pure binoculars misting up? (1 Viewer)

Almost the antithesis of the glare reduction caps (#61): these 'aircups' are also available, which apparently improve the edge view. They might also help with airflow, to reduce the fogging previously discussed. They're not official accessories, but custom-built. I'm not exactly sure where they're available to buy.

Has anyone tried them?

Aircups.jpg

Hi all

I'd be grateful for any views and feedback from members on whether they have found their NL Pure binoculars misting up on use.

Some background first. I'm a keen world birder and have used Swarovski binoculars for at least 15 years. More recently I was fortunate to be able to spend three months travelling and birding in a variety of habitats, from lowland forest to extended periods on ships.

Optically these are the best 10x42 binoculars out there in my view. Field of view, brightness and image clarity are superb. I'm really pleased I purchased the 10x42 NL Pure for my two ship trips. Through an improved ergonomic design they are lovely to hold, fit comfortably in the hand, and are well balanced. I was able to use them for hours without eye strain.

However, I found a phenomenon I've never experienced in Swarovski binoculars before, and it was a big shock to find that the external glass of the eye lenses misted up easily in certain situations. It typically happened in tough conditions, often when I was walking uphill, in lowland humid forest, where my body heat caused the eye lenses to mist up. Basically if you're 'running hot' then heat transfers to the glass and mists up the eye lens. A birder I was travelling with found the problem so annoying and serious that he's thinking of shifting to Zeiss. Other birders on one of the ships were also reporting concerns.

The central issue appears to be the lens coating, and I've heard Swarovski changed its lens' coatings perhaps in advance of legislation changes? It's not simply a case of cold binoculars being exposed to warm air. I used 8.5x 42 ELs in forest for a decade in equally humid forest conditions and never experienced the misting of the NLs. I also used other binoculars when in the tough conditions and no misting.

I realise there will be many members perfectly happy with their NLs. I'd stress that misting occurs in tough conditions, and if you haven't experienced such tough conditions then you might find this thread odd. I'm really keen to hear from those members that have found their NL Pure binoculars misting up unexpectedly, and when this typically arises.

In my experience I'd summarise thus: brilliant optics but flawed. Many thanks

Mike Hunter
UK

Hi all

I'd be grateful for any views and feedback from members on whether they have found their NL Pure binoculars misting up on use.

Some background first. I'm a keen world birder and have used Swarovski binoculars for at least 15 years. More recently I was fortunate to be able to spend three months travelling and birding in a variety of habitats, from lowland forest to extended periods on ships.

Optically these are the best 10x42 binoculars out there in my view. Field of view, brightness and image clarity are superb. I'm really pleased I purchased the 10x42 NL Pure for my two ship trips. Through an improved ergonomic design they are lovely to hold, fit comfortably in the hand, and are well balanced. I was able to use them for hours without eye strain.

However, I found a phenomenon I've never experienced in Swarovski binoculars before, and it was a big shock to find that the external glass of the eye lenses misted up easily in certain situations. It typically happened in tough conditions, often when I was walking uphill, in lowland humid forest, where my body heat caused the eye lenses to mist up. Basically if you're 'running hot' then heat transfers to the glass and mists up the eye lens. A birder I was travelling with found the problem so annoying and serious that he's thinking of shifting to Zeiss. Other birders on one of the ships were also reporting concerns.

The central issue appears to be the lens coating, and I've heard Swarovski changed its lens' coatings perhaps in advance of legislation changes? It's not simply a case of cold binoculars being exposed to warm air. I used 8.5x 42 ELs in forest for a decade in equally humid forest conditions and never experienced the misting of the NLs. I also used other binoculars when in the tough conditions and no misting.

I realise there will be many members perfectly happy with their NLs. I'd stress that misting occurs in tough conditions, and if you haven't experienced such tough conditions then you might find this thread odd. I'm really keen to hear from those members that have found their NL Pure binoculars misting up unexpectedly, and when this typically arises.

In my experience I'd summarise thus: brilliant optics but flawed. Many thanks

Mike Hunter
UK
I purchased a pair of 10x42 NLs a couple of days ago and whilst using them with specs have no problem. Without specs, and the eyecups fully extended, they soon fogged/misted up. As i say, because i wear specs it's not a problem but if i didn't it would be a deal breaker.

My Pure NL 12x42 bino has a tendency to fog up now during the winter. I wear glasses and I have had the eye cup out a little bit as the eye relief is extremely generous. I figured I was trapping a little warm air when pressing against the glasses occasionally so I readjusted the head rest and dropped down the eye cups completely and since then they very rarely fog up, even if the problem is not fully resolved I can live with it.

Out of all my top binos the NL Pure 12x42 has been the most ”fog inducing” bino. I don’t glass all that much during the winter and I think the 12x42 is spectacular so I have decided I can live with the shortcoming of occasional fogging.
I can see why it would - in some instances - be a real nuisance and a deal breaker.
My Swarovski Habicht’s fog up as well, great binoculars but the fogging up is irritating sometimes. I don’t have this with any of my other binoculars. When i put the rubber of the eyecups down the problem disappears but eye placement is ofcourse more difficult. Otherwise great optics.

For what it's worth: if I've been out in very cold conditions and bring my NL into a warm house then, perhaps entirely unsurprisingly, the effect is apparent but I personally haven't experienced the problem outlined in actual use and have used my NL for almost two years over all seasons in many different climatic and weather conditions.

Though it's clear that many prefer to use them, shielding bothersome light with winged eyecups does not address the glare / flare issues ordinarily discussed: which emanate from compromised internal errant light control. Further, using winged eyecups would almost certainly exacerbate any propensity to mist an eyepiece lens.

Last edited:
For what it's worth: if I've been out in very cold conditions and bring my NL into a warm house then, perhaps entirely unsurprisingly, the effect is apparent but I personally haven't experienced the problem outlined in actual use and have used my NL for almost two years over all seasons in many different climatic and weather conditions.

Though it's clear that many prefer to use them, shielding bothersome light with winged eyecups does not address the glare / flare issues ordinarily discussed: which emanate from compromised internal errant light control. Further, using winged eyecups would almost certainly exacerbate any propensity to mist an eyepiece lens.
Thank you for this first hand information, it’s just my experience with my Habicht’s and hear say from this forum that makes me reluctant to get this beautiful scope. That’s why i asked.

My Swarovski Habicht’s fog up as well, great binoculars but the fogging up is irritating sometimes. I don’t have this with any of my other binoculars. When i put the rubber of the eyecups down the problem disappears but eye placement is ofcourse more difficult. Otherwise great optics.
The Habicht is a different case because you need to get a lot closer to the eyepiece lens than with other, more modern eyepieces.

Hermann

The Habicht is a different case because you need to get a lot closer to the eyepiece lens than with other, more modern eyepieces.

Hermann
It seems that my Habicht 10x40 suffers more from fog than my 8x30. Both have GA and so the eyecups and distance on both binoculars are the same. So maybe this is due to the latest coatings? The good thing is: when i fold the eyecups down and position the oculair lenses the right way onder my eyebrow there is no fog. It takes some practice but then the Habicht rules again ;). After all it is an older design…but then my Swift Porro doesn’t have this problem?

It seems that my Habicht 10x40 suffers more from fog than my 8x30. Both have GA and so the eyecups and distance on both binoculars are the same. So maybe this is due to the latest coatings?
I doubt that. You'd need a long series of tests in different conditions to come to a firm conclusion.
The good thing is: when i fold the eyecups down and position the oculair lenses the right way onder my eyebrow there is no fog.
Hardly surprising. Better airflow = less condensation.
It takes some practice but then the Habicht rules again ;). After all it is an older design…but then my Swift Porro doesn’t have this problem?
The Habicht 8x30 and the 10x40 have got very short eyerelief. They are basically a design dating back some 70 years. The Swifts are a more modern design, and I reckon most Swifts have got more eyerelief. Plus most of the Swift eyecups are quite shallow, allowing more airflow.

Hermann

Last edited:
I doubt that. You'd need a long series of tests in different conditions to come to a firm conclusion.

Hardly surprising. Better airflow = less condensation.

The Habicht 8x30 and the 10x40 have got very short eyerelief. They are basically a design dating back some 70 years. The Swifts are a more modern design, and I reckon most Swifts have got more eyerelief. Plus most of the Swift eyecups are quite shallow, allowing more airflow.

Hermann

I was wrong about the eyecups on my Habicht’s….the eyecups on the 8x30 IF (on the right) are a few mm longer so the distance from the eye to the ocular as well. Habicht IF has longer eyerelief!

D0AB47D9-B851-41B9-952A-A5F00BF9E0B2.jpeg

I have seen enough glare in modern Swarovski binos to totally disregard anyone - regardless of credentials - claiming that ”there is no glare”.

It is fine to say that you have ”never experienced glare” but it means very little in my book. This merely suggests that the person making that statement has not used the binos in those conditions that will produce flare.

And yes, I own Swarovski Pure NL myself. (And a BTX)

And yes, my Swarovski can mist up too. I still enjoy using them, I just don’t pretend they are without flaws.

During the winter my Pure NL don’t see much use due to the misting up. It is a bit irritating. My SFL 8x40 are much less prone to misting up (it can happen though) so they are the go-to bino for adverse weather.

I have seen enough glare in modern Swarovski binos to totally disregard anyone - regardless of credentials - claiming that ”there is no glare”.

It is fine to say that you have ”never experienced glare” but it means very little in my book. This merely suggests that the person making that statement has not used the binos in those conditions that will produce flare.
I find that a slightly offensive over-simplification of things.
It could as well be that you just don‘t know how to properly operate a widefield binocular such as the NL.
Why would that be less plausible?

Last edited:
Well, I find your posting offensive too. And your thought on the matter less plausible than the idea of Swarovski having made a less than ideal optical design.

And who made you the decider of what is correct or not and what is subjective or objective - or why it should matter?

I am just pointing out that Gijs comment does not say much about anything and is not really helpful for those of us who are finding the Pure NL to have some drawbacks that we don’t see in other binoculars.

Think about it:
Some people experience fogging/misting.
One person claims ”he has never seen it”.
What does that do for the conversation - and how would it help?

Nothing. Good for him.

Some people are sometimes troubled by glare - and more so with a particular binocular. Again: ”authority” posts he has never seen it.

Exactly how does that help?
Nothing.
If you have knowledge on how to avoid glare flare up, please share it instead of making assumptious comments.

I never experienced glare in one bino, for almost 3 years. Birding at the same places at the same time of day/year, switched to another bino and do. Its not just about geography, weather, time of day.

Think about it:
Some people experience fogging/misting.
One person claims ”he has never seen it”.
What does that do for the conversation - and how would it help?

Nothing. Good for him.

Some people are sometimes troubled by glare - and more so with a particular binocular. Again: ”authority” posts he has never seen it.

Exactly how does that help?
Nothing.
If you have knowledge on how to avoid glare flare up, please share it instead of making assumptious comments.
How does posting you experience with fogging or seeing glare help though? Seems like two people reporting their respective experiences - kinda it, period, full stop. Is one more valuable than the other? Complaints are OK? But counter experience reports are not? How can this be? Maybe there's a gap that needs to be filled in but rarely is. Context is important. What do we know about each other? Seems like adding some convo to qualify one's experience might help, maybe?

I did, a number of times and in several forums, and so did other posters, but there are people who seem to prefer to complain rather than change habits … I acknowledge that some people seem to have issues with the NL, and they have my sympathy if they say THEY have issues with the NL. I can only speak for myself, and for ME, glare in the NL is a non-issue (reports about damaged arrmour worry me more).

Last edited:
One possible cause is a difference in temperature between the inside and outside of the binoculars. This can happen when you move from a cold environment to a warmer one, or when the binoculars are exposed to direct sunlight.

To prevent misting up, you can try to acclimate the binoculars to the ambient temperature before use. You can do this by leaving them in their case for a few minutes, or by holding them in your hands for a few minutes. This will help to equalize the temperature inside and outside of the binoculars, which can reduce the likelihood of misting up.

Another possible cause of misting up is moisture inside the binoculars. This can happen if the binoculars are not properly sealed or if they are exposed to moisture, such as rain or humidity. To prevent this from happening, you should store your binoculars in a dry location and avoid exposing them to moisture.

If you have already experienced misting up, you can try to dry out the binoculars by leaving them in a dry location for several hours. You can also try using a desiccant, such as silica gel packets, to absorb any moisture that may be inside the binoculars.

If the problem persists or if you have any other concerns about your NL Pure binoculars, it may be best to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

I am with HenRun on this one. There is a clear distinction between saying I see no glare in the view thru the NL, and there is no glare. It has been objectively shown on the BF and other forums that the NL binos have serious glare issues. My testing of NL 8x42 and 10x42 has confirmed that (my NLs were bought directly from Swaro immediately after the launch of the NL line and were probably very early examples of NL, I hope Swaro has made improvements in later versions).
Anyway, the suggestion often repeated on this forum that people who notice glare in the NL do not know how to "properly operate" the binos is unreasonable (almost absurd). Many people who reported glare in the NL have used binos for many years and they know very well how to "operate" their binos.
PS. As we grow older our eye pupils open less and less. So growing old is a sure way of avoiding glare (which, as the saying goes, is preferable to the alternative of not growing old...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back