• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Armor deteriorated by chemical exposure (1 Viewer)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
Some armor materials are deteriorated by heat or chemical exposure.

Canon warns about this and the customer has no surprises (when the customer reads the manual/documentation).
I do not touch sunscreen when using my IS 12x36mm. Nor mosquito (insects) repellents.
However, it seems not all manufacturers do the same; especially when new materials (sustainable ones) are in use.

Without finger-pointing and if you have "recent” experiences, what chemicals deteriorate what kind of armor?
It is not a theoretical question; therefore, examples are welcome.

Last edited:
DEET is well known to damage plastics and for this reason I use Picaridin 15-20 percent solution instead. For sun block I wear dark colored clothing and a full brim hat for maximum UV protection.

There are thousands of industrial chemicals with which we come in contact on a regular basis. Many in the USA are also known to cause cancers. The impact on your binos is the least of your worries although ignorance is bliss for many.

I switched to herbal bug spray and haven't used the synthetic chems in many years. Generally the herbal ones need to be re-applied more often but work just as well for me. Along with clothing and hats. I have bug-netting hats and shirts for when it gets really grim - people laugh at this stuff right up until the bugs attack :)

One common "chemical" that shouldn't be overlooked is the acidity of one's sweat. It does vary, so some people tend to have more problems with rubbery grips on various gear than others. This could even play into poor performance in "tropical conditions" where one sweats more. And virtually all the deterioration I've seen in photos occurs just where hands/fingers would be in contact...

One common "chemical" that shouldn't be overlooked is the acidity of one's sweat. It does vary, so some people tend to have more problems with rubbery grips on various gear than others.

I live in a warm humid climate. I use herbal insect repellant and always wash my palms with soap and water before handling bins. No problems with any make except after 5 or 6 years the armor on my Canon 12x36 IS III turned into sticky goo but only in the areas where my fingers and hands touch the bin. A friend who also owns and uses a variety of bins has experienced the same problem but only with the Canon. Not a criticism of Canon per se, just recounting experience.

Mike

One common "chemical" that shouldn't be overlooked is the acidity of one's sweat. It does vary, so some people tend to have more problems with rubbery grips on various gear than others. This could even play into poor performance in "tropical conditions" where one sweats more. And virtually all the deterioration I've seen in photos occurs just where hands/fingers would be in contact...
It's the stuff that disintegrates sunglasses frames. Plating wears off or turns green, plasticky bits turn grey and fall off, ... I have learned to only use uncoated Ti frames. Except for a new experiment this summer with this Austrian product. So far, so good, but then again summer has only just begun.

This can happen to some synthetic rubber coatings, having nothing to do with sweat or chemicals. I had an Eton emergency radio with some soft rubber on the housing. Seldom used it but after several years the coating turned to sticky mush.

This can happen to some synthetic rubber coatings, having nothing to do with sweat or chemicals. I had an Eton emergency radio with some soft rubber on the housing. Seldom used it but after several years the coating turned to sticky mush.
Yes, I have had an item ( fancy corkscrew), with a soft touch rubber/ plastic construction that got sticky whilst sitting in a sealed box for years that had never been opened or used.

It seems to be a common problem on many items, after a number of years.

For cheap consumer goods, one can accept it, but for high value items, it is less acceptable.

Yes, I have had an item ( fancy corkscrew), with a soft touch rubber/ plastic construction that got sticky whilst sitting in a sealed box for years that had never been opened or used.

It seems to be a common problem on many items, after a number of years.

For cheap consumer goods, one can accept it, but for high value items, it is less acceptable.
You won't believe it, that just happened to mine too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back