• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

astro eyepiece for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Baader Hyperion would be a good choice, as it comes with M43 and M54 threads built into it, allowing you to simply screw in an appropriate adapter. And it provides a wide 68 degree FOV as well. This is what I'm going to be using with my soon-to-come Televue.

If you are feeling like splurging, the Televue Ethos has a staggering 100 degree field of view but costs around $600+ a pop.

Vandit

the pentax k20d has 14,6MP and live focus :p hehe But the D300 has a very good noise handeling. It's impressing. i guess you could use iso 1600 just fine

Baader, Televue and Pentax are very good, but why bother - the 30xDS is as good for digiscoping and I am not sure you can actually adapt them to the Nikon scope.

Best regards,

Ilkka :t:

i was actually thinking about videoscoping but because the video mode of my fuji f31d does not has any custom setting for adjusting, let say EV and exposure.

but nikon P5100 has after trying my friend's camera.

if the new nikon P6000 coolpix is better than P5100, i'll grab that. if not, the current price for nikon P5100 now is very tempting hahaha :king:

For videoscoping you need a wide FOV and not too much magnification as well as good eye relief otherwise you get vignetting until full zoom. Kowa makes some video eyepieces with very long ER ( 50 - 100 mm ).
I use a Televue 32mm,25mm Plossls and a 12mm Radian. The 32mm Plossl is a good general digiscoping eye piece with reasonable ER ( from memory around 22 mm ).
Neil.

My comments on Video scoping were based on using a video camera. Using a digicam gives more options of eyepiece. Neil.

i've checked from scopetronix that they has maxview-NF eyepiece with focal length = 44mm and eye relief = 29mm

mvnf_scope.gif

mvnf.gif

this is made for nikon fieldscope and what do u think about this neil ?

i've checked from scopetronix that they has maxview-NF eyepiece with focal length = 44mm and eye relief = 29mm

View attachment 153777

View attachment 153778

this is made for nikon fieldscope and what do u think about this neil ?

I'm using the Maxview S (40 mm) which enables me to digiscope with the Canon G6. It's also useful for video with your digicam although you need a very firm support. Quality is good although not quite as good as a prime eyepiece from one of the majors (similar to Televue Plossls ).
Neil.

I'm using the Maxview S (40 mm) which enables me to digiscope with the Canon G6. It's also useful for video with your digicam although you need a very firm support. Quality is good although not quite as good as a prime eyepiece from one of the majors (similar to Televue Plossls ).
Neil.

I forgot to mention that the FOV is too narrow to remove vignetting with a video camera accept maybe near full zoom. Neil.

what is the other major eyepiece worth checking out neil ?

The Televue Radians are very good and with 20 mm of ER. I have the 12mm (38x on my Swarovski scope ) but you might be happier with less power. I wanted something between the Swarovski 30x and their 45x . The 45x Swarovski is a better quality eyepiece ( more glass ) for digiscoping than the 12mm Radian but not by much.
If your telescope will take a 2 inch eyepiece then you have even more choice or ER and FOV but I haven't had any direct experience with these.
The other alternative are the top of the line Pentax eyepieces which come in telescope mount. I have the 20mm. It's a large chunk of glass.
Neil.

The Televue Radians are very good and with 20 mm of ER. I have the 12mm (38x on my Swarovski scope ) but you might be happier with less power. I wanted something between the Swarovski 30x and their 45x . The 45x Swarovski is a better quality eyepiece ( more glass ) for digiscoping than the 12mm Radian but not by much.

I assume that you can get the Radian to focus on your Swarovski scope? I have a 5mm Nagler but find the eye relief too short. I would look at replacing it with a Radian but seem to recall somebody saying that it wouldn't reach infinity focus on my scope. Perhaps you could clarify this point. Have you tried any other sizes in the Radian range?

Thanks
Steve

astro eyepiece for digiscoping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any suggestions for which brand is good ?

thanks
(originally posted by horukuru)

I would be surprised if you could get any astro eyepiece to work on a Nikon scope. I occasionally use one on my Swarovski with their astro adapter, and the 1.25" mount of the eyepiece needs to sit well inside the recess and stops when it reaches the cover glass that seals the scope.

I tried this on my ED50 just to see if it would work, and found that the mount of the eyepiece wouldn't fit inside the Nikon's eyepiece opening which is much narrower than Swarovski's. This made it impossible to get the eyepiece to focus through the Nikon, even hand-holding it.

Perhaps you know of an alternative that works? If not then I'd stick with Nikon's own fantastic eyepieces for digiscoping.

Steve

(originally posted by horukuru)
Perhaps you know of an alternative that works? If not then I'd stick with Nikon's own fantastic eyepieces for digiscoping.

Steve

hehehe i'll stick with my DS30x eyepiece too for digiscoping but the maxview eyepiece (check my previous post) might be useful for videoscoping ;)

I assume that you can get the Radian to focus on your Swarovski scope? I have a 5mm Nagler but find the eye relief too short. I would look at replacing it with a Radian but seem to recall somebody saying that it wouldn't reach infinity focus on my scope. Perhaps you could clarify this point. Have you tried any other sizes in the Radian range?

Thanks
Steve

Steve,
I just tested out my window from 6 - 1000 metres and it will focus with a little bit left over.
No I won't be getting another Radian as I have a Kowa 25x ( new model) on order. Depending on your requirement and camera I would look at something around the 18 mm for general use or for long magnification go for the 8 or 10 mm.
Neil.

I wasn't thinking specifically for digiscoping, as I have the Swaro zoom and the 30x wide which cover most of my needs, but wondered if the 5mm Radian would work for occasional high power viewing. Thanks for trying though.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back