• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (1 Viewer)

Certainly looks like they are moving in Dan. I put a new box up a few years ago and they spent a couple of weeks chipping away at the wood. They left the opening alone but were hammering away at the inside of the box. The box was hanging on the back of my studio wall and throughout the day I could hear hammering like a miniature woodpecker. Lots of people report this behavior and this is some text from the RSPB website.

"Tits are regularly seen hammering away at the entrance hole of a nestbox. This is probably a form of display by the male, rather than an attempt to enlarge the hole.

Later, the female will also peck vigorously: natural holes may have all the surrounding bark chipped away. This may help her to judge how soft the wood is and whether the hole will provide a safe, predator-proof home in which to raise her brood. Blue and great tits will also hammer at the inside of a box or nest hole, perhaps as a form of display."

Paul.

Well, they are definitely moving in...
View attachment 538136
Crappy picture... horrible light and at an angle through a glass door.. anyway...

When they are making regular trips to feed the young then you will have to try for some flight shots like the ones I posted here. I set the scope up 90° to the nest box and used a remote to fire the shutter when I saw them coming to and from the box. http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2141616&postcount=175

Paul.

Yes, I remember seeing those. First class. Intend to do the same sort of thing, light permitting. Their house will be pretty much in the shade of a big apple tree by then, but I will set up a few white Styrofoam boards to reflect some light at the house.

Yes, I remember seeing those. First class. Intend to do the same sort of thing, light permitting. Their house will be pretty much in the shade of a big apple tree by then, but I will set up a few white Styrofoam boards to reflect some light at the house.
It just struck my mind the m4/3 do not support wireless shutter release, which the 4/3 bodies do.

Mixed bag

The early migrants are now showing up, the spring season had a promising start so far.

Have been using the TLAPO804 with EC14 / Teleplus MC7 in more field-like conditions. It's nice to have a portable setup. Sharing some samples selected from quite a few pictures taken the past days.

The Starling is with the scope alone
The Wagtail is with the EC14
The waders are with the Teleplus MC7

These are 90%-100% crops of EM5 frames.

Attachments

• P4090219.jpg
    P4090219.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 33
  • P4090365.jpg
    P4090365.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 39
  • P4090485.jpg
    P4090485.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 37
  • P4090491.jpg
    P4090491.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 51
  • P4130787.jpg
    P4130787.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 35
We have had quite a bit going on here too. Lots of Hawfinches!:t:
17056056992_18f1cb53a7_h.jpg 16938104826_863d056f2d_o.jpg
(E-M1 + Canon 400/5.6)
Starlings
16794485540_6dbea7bcb3_o.jpg (can't remember, but I think scope without TN)
more later

Good stuff guys, cracking Blue Tit Dan. Sadly my Blue Tits deserted their nest box late last week. I got the ladder out and had a look inside and found a partly built nest but no eggs thankfully. There was a rather large false widow spider, probably a female judging by the size and it had set up home just behind the opening of the box. That was probably enough to make the Blue Tits go elsewhere. I removed the spider but no sign of the birds returning. Also had a pair of Wood pigeons abandon their nest last week after building it and laying one egg. Still have Blackbirds nesting, already on their second brood and have a Robin sat on 5 eggs right outside my daughters bedroom window. Bit of early summer here this week with temps to hit maybe 25°c in the UK tomorrow.

Paul.

Funny, ours were also gone for a number of days. They seemed really busy, as did a pair of tree sparrows who laid claims on another box near by. Then the weather turned sour again, and they all disappeared. But the Blue Tits are back, off and on, at least for now. Fairly decent nest inside, but no eggs.
Thay have certainly done a number on the nice round, regulation Blue Tit sized hole I made for them!;)

Last edited:
Today was the first day I was able to open our window.
A lady Hawfinch showed up, and I got a quick shot,
17132573576_174be6c9ff_b.jpg
but the window was a little dirty and the sun was hitting it, so I VERY SLOWLY opened it part way without scaring her off.
17156906382_cf5523b26d_b.jpg 16972342399_b604e63de0_b.jpg

What a difference it makes! She was being very cautious, and her mate was sitting in a near by tree. He then flew down, but he would have none of it and they both flew away. They are regulars now. We get really nice light on the feeder between about 2 and 4 PM. I'll try again tomorrow. Should be even warmer than today.:t:

E-M1 with Canon 400/5.6.

Thanks, guys.
Yes I like the pose of the first one best, but it has far less contrast and detail because of the window. Here is what the un-edited originals look like so you can really see the difference:
P4153528.jpg P4153536.jpg
Also through the window, an unexpected guest a few minutes ago:
P4163631.jpg P4163636.jpg P4163641.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back