• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (1 Viewer)

Woodpecker from my garden. We have got strange weather. Days are dull and cold with glaze ice 2 cm thick covering all. Usually it is cold, snowy and sunny in January.
SW 80ED with Osawa telenegative, Pentax K-5 on tripod.
Full fames, only resized and slightly sharpened, no noise reduction applied.
1. ISO=1250,1/200
2. ISO=1600, 1/125
Some motion blur is visible at photo nr. 2.
Nice fine detail!

Only a juvenile Herring gull but because of the backround I could not resist some shots of it. BTW the background was oof reeds that were in the low winters sun. To get all the bird in the frame I had to back off to around 50 feet.
7D + SW80ED + 1.4x tc 1/320 sec, ISO 400, 840mm, tripod
What a cracking shot! Would you mind if I had a go at doing a painting of it?

One from last month that I have just processed.
7D + 1.4x tc + SW80ED 1/800sec - ISO 400 -840mm - big crop

Attachments

• curlew3astro.jpg
    curlew3astro.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, Roy. This was right next to a small road. I was sloooooly inching my way closer when some idiot saw them, jumped out of his car to take a picture, and they took off.
:C

A couple of Red Crested Pochard from the weekend when the sun made a long awaited appearance.

D5100 + 1.4tc + SW80ED, 1/500, ISO 640, slight crop.

Attachments

• Red Crested Pochard_800x440.jpg
    Red Crested Pochard_800x440.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Red Crested Pochard wings_800x470.jpg
    Red Crested Pochard wings_800x470.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 80
Photo of Rough Legged Buzzard hovering against strong wind.Cropped to 1800*1200 then resized. White balance isn't accurate because of light coming from low Sun partially obscured by clouds and reflected from snow.
Pentax K-5, SW 80ED
ISO=800, 1/1000s handheld.

Attachments

• 1_2.jpg
    1_2.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Photo of Rough Legged Buzzard hovering against strong wind.Cropped to 1800*1200 then resized. White balance isn't accurate because of light coming from low Sun partially obscured by clouds and reflected from snow.
Pentax K-5, SW 80ED
ISO=800, 1/1000s handheld.
Nice shot. I have never tried hand-holding my SW80ED but I do not know how you can handhold, focus and press the shutter button - I would need three hands for this!!!

Got some great views of a fairly rare Spotted Redshank this morning on my local patch - a stunning looking bird. Also a Greenshank was showing well. Very poor light so not great snaps (these slow astroscopes really need nice light!)
7D + 1.4x + tc SW80ED so 840mm (1344mm FOV on the 7D)

Attachments

• sr1.jpg
    sr1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 85
  • greenshank1.jpg
    greenshank1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Both very nice Roy. But I do know what you mean about needing decent ligh. I have struggled with the scope plus 1.5TC connected. I have taken shots that all look very dark and smudgy, bringing them back in PP is creating horrid noise. All have seen dusty bin of late :-C

But will keep trying :t:

Nice images Roy, the report on Devon Birds, states another birder turned up with big glass, will be interesting to see comparison if he puts some on!! Once again Roy, nice work.

Nice images Roy, the report on Devon Birds, states another birder turned up with big glass, will be interesting to see comparison if he puts some on!! Once again Roy, nice work.
Hi David, Yep that would be George who has a Nikon 400/2.8 VR. A massive lens that he hand-holds! He should have got some cracking shots as his lens is loads quicker than the Astroscope that is f7.5 (about f10 with the 1.4x tc on) so not easy in low light.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back