• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX 65 (1 Viewer)

Martin1989

Hello every one,

I am looking for feedback on the atx 65.
I plan to sell my swaro ATS 80 HD to upgrade to the atx 65.
The reasons for my choice are that I plan to travel with a backpack so I want to have a lighter and more compact spotting scope.
Having never used a 60 or 65 spotting scope, I'm a little nervous about the amount of light needed for a good image compared to a 80mm scope. I have already been able to test the atx 85 and the image is so good that I imagine that I am worrying for nothing with the atx 65?

thanks
Martin

From the data I've pulled up in the past the the ATX 65 is an inch longer and only 2oz lighter than the ATS 80.

This probably makes me unpopular, but the ATX system is a beast and I really don't care for the ergos at all.

I have both the ATX65 and ATX85. I almost never use the former. It's very good for a 65, but it's not that much lighter or smaller than the 85 and the 85 is noticeably better optically, particularly at higher magnifications.

Bill, from memory the ATS80HD is a little bit longer too,but I wouldn’t call the difference huge.

The ATX65 is probably one of the heaviest 65mm, though one of the best. I have only compared an ATX65, ATX85 and ATS80HD (with the 25-50x eyepiece) for some limited time, during daytime outside a shop. Unless maybe at the highest magnifications, there was no real disadvantage to the 65mm to my eyes. The ATX85 was maybe a little(!) bit more easy for my eye, but heavier. I really prefer the double central ring focus/zoom of the ATX to the ocular zoom ring of the ATS, but that is personal. I also preferred the ATX eyepiece a bit regarding ease of view/comfort when comparing ATX85 to ATS80, but I’m not sure anymore when comparing with the ATX65 (I guess the difference must not have been that big).
But you’ll find many advices in the forum, in past threads, or will get some advice, from people who have tested them longer.
I ended up getting an ATX65, but that is in part because I had the chance to get a good second hand deal with, as an added benefit, full service from the well known local dealer where it was originally by the previous owner. Full, new price was beyond my budget. If I had found a second hand ATM80 with the 25-50x eyepiece for less, I might very well have gone that route, even though I value compactness. It is sad the ATM with its lower weight than the ATS isn’t made anymore...

But probably more importantly:
Unless you need the advantage of the ATX of being possible to split it on two parts in your backpack, as you already have a great scope (with which eyepiece?) and want something lighter and more compact for travelling with a backpack, did you consider keeping your ATS80HD and buying a good and cheaper 50mm to complement it specifically for long backpacking trips? Something like the Nikon 50ED II, Vortex or some opticron? I haven’t tested those, but have read great comments about them. You might end up having the best of both: a great full size scope when not on long backpacking trips and a really lightweight and compact one for backpacking. Selling your ATS80HD to fund an ATX65 might be more expensive, especially if looking for a new, unused ATX, and the ATX65 is still a considerable chunk of glass to carry on a backpacking trip, with a matching tripod.
The tripod is of course the other weight and size issue for backpacking with a scope...

Last edited:
mbb, I'm confused a bit by your response. The ATX65 reviews I've read have all been very positive and I have zero issue with the ATX/STX optical performance. From paper specs it appears there's not a whole lot of weight and dimensional difference between the ATS80 and ATX65 therefore I doubt Martin is going to achieve the desired result. Yes, having a two part scope may help with packing. Especially if you can give one half to someone else!

I have both 65mm and 95mm. For longer walk, up and down in the rainforest, 65mm is the one I have with me and sufficient to say, even in low light, my eyes still able to see the details of birds etc.

@Bill: For me to clarify, which part is confusing?
I indeed consider the ATX65 stellar, both optically (certainly for a 65mm) and mechanically. Its main disadvantages are its weight (for a 65mm) and its price...
There is indeed not a lot of difference in weight between the ATX65 and ATS80, and the choice of tripod and head might be more important regarding total weight. Size wise, the ATS80 (with eyepiece) is a (little) bit longer than the ATX65. (The size difference is the only thing I thought you stated wrongly/inversely.)
I also fully agree with you that I doubt Martin will achieve the aimed result by trading his ATS80HD for an ATX65: ATX-series is a little bit better than ATS-range, but his is 80mm (thus compensating in some way the optical improvements of the ATX) and the weight difference is not big (thus not gaining siginificant weight either). That is why I would recommend considering keeping his good ATS80HD for it is a very nice scope, and complement it with a considerably smaller and lighter 50mm scope just for those situations where he finds his ATS80HD too bulky.
However, there is one important thing to know (@Martin): which ocular are you using with your ATS80HD? If it is the 25-50x, than the above applies I think. If however it is the 20-60x, than you might gain more, optically speaking (especially FOV and view comfort) from the shift to the ATX65, but you might as well consider upgrading the eyepiece only (keeping the scope body).

mbb,
The "confusing" issue is currently not important. I agree Martin should perhaps instead look for a different, small scope.

Martin,
Regarding "the amount of light needed for a good image", the magnification used is significant factor, that is likely why many 60-65mm scopes are used with 15-45x eyepieces and 80mm scopes have 20x-60x eyepieces. The Swarovski ATS65 and ATX65 are exceptions, both are designed to provide the same maximum magnification as their 80-85mm counterparts. As discussed above the size and bulk of the ATX65 is likely of much different than that of your current scope. If you want a smaller optical package for backpacking and can live with less magnification I'd recommend the Opticron MM4 GA ED with either HDF or SDL 15-45x zooms. You could also look at acquiring the ATS65 body to use with your current eyepiece.

Although I am a Nikon ED50 fan, I would not recommend adding a new supplier with incompatible eye pieces.
The Swaro ATS65 continues to be the preeminent compact sized travel scope, a little bigger than the 50mm lightweights, but with a much more comfortable view.
The OP would be better served imho to invest in an ATS 65 body to complement/replace his ATS 80. I don't see that an ATX 65 would add anything except weight, unless there is a longer term plan to add and ATX 95/115 module eventually.

I agree that buying an ATS 65 body, using your current eyepiece(s) for both, sounds like a good suggestion too.

Just in case you are still considering the ATX65: there seems to be one for sale on that big online auction site, in Spain (I don’t know where you are from ; it is not mine), for €1700, which sounds like a tremendous deal. (I already have one, otherwise... :) )

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the information you shared. I now know a bit more about what to look for for my needs.
I was actually 'ooking for an ATX65 since I've used a lot the 85 during short terms contracts, and i loved the quality !!
Since the ATX65 won't fit with my goal, i'm now considering the ATS65 as suggested above. This would even allow me to buy a new lighter tripod.

Maybe I didn't explain enough my project. I intend to backpack around the world (well, when covid will be behind us...), hence the cut i want to do in size and weight. This means, i won't be able to change any part of the scope when I'm gone.

For the question asking which eyepiece I have on my current scope: it's a 20-60x.
Which one would you recommend with the ATS65?

Cheers,
Martin

Martin,

If I were forty or fifty years younger and contemplating a trip such as yours I would, as a scope user and fan of the larger binocular formats, probably nevertheless restrict myself to an 8x32. If you can contact local birders they would know the best sites and probably have scopes to share. Some years ago I took out a birder and guest professor from the local university and helped him add a couple of species to his life list, which comprised over 4000. On his world travels he always enlisted the help of local birders and had merely brought an 8x42 with him.

John

PS:- Stepping down from an ATS 80 to an ATS 65 cannot really justify a lighter tripod. Save a little weight and sacrifice a lot of stability.

Hello every one,

I am looking for feedback on the atx 65.
I plan to sell my swaro ATS 80 HD to upgrade to the atx 65.
The reasons for my choice are that I plan to travel with a backpack so I want to have a lighter and more compact spotting scope.
Having never used a 60 or 65 spotting scope, I'm a little nervous about the amount of light needed for a good image compared to a 80mm scope. I have already been able to test the atx 85 and the image is so good that I imagine that I am worrying for nothing with the atx 65?

thanks
Martin
I was curious about 65 vs 85 vs 95 and in my experience I found the differences to be much smaller than expected at low/med mag. The 65 is a gem of a scope and I think it really comes down to available light and how often you will be using higher magnification. At higher magnifications I don't think any small spotting scope is ideal, the exit pupil is just getting too small and the image lacks brightness/contrast. The other huge factor is whether your local weather conditions support seeing at higher magnifications. 25x-35x is really the sweet spot and above this its diminishing returns I think. Although not for travel my experience is that the BTX and using 2 eyes is a total game changer and thats why 30-35x is perfect. For travel however I would still hands down take a pair of binoculars like the 8x32 and leave everything else at home.

Last edited:
Well, i have experience of world travel with a backpack from when i was much younger, and experience of traveling with a scope much more recently. If the backpacking is in the sense of setting off with everything you're likely to need on your back for a protracted time, i would say one thing you don't need is a scope/tripod - plus there are some spots on this varied planet where that might make you a target for a bop on the beezer with a nightstick, and a ne'er-do-well makes off with your goodies....I would take an 8x32 or a very good 8x25 (Victory Pocket comes to mind) and have done with it. Something unobtrusive, and probably not too irreplaceable. If i was doing it now, i'd probably go for a Nikon M7 8x30 or similar.

However, if it is a slightly more luxurious form of travel, where a scope might not be such a liability, then the ATS65 with the 25-50WA eyepiece would be just the thing. On a light head (such as the Sirui VA5) and carbon-fibre tripod, the weight is fairly minimal. A great combination of splendid optics with portability, although either side of that equation could be compromised further if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back