• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn already? (1 Viewer)

Well who knows. But when I did Out Skerries last June I saw Song Thrush, Ring Ouzel and Fieldfare they were all migrants and I assumed they were still heading north.

Stephen

Must admit, I heard Curlew going over after dark last night, contact flight calls, rather like you hear when they are going over in autumn. Guess failed breeders heading back to the coast.

Today, first day of the summer - 2 Green Sandpipers on inland rivers in the Baixo Alentejo, near Castro Verde

Whats all this about the summer solstice being the first day of summer! Surely it's mid-summer, just as the winter solstice is mid-winter, the autumn equinox is mid-autumn and the vernal equinox is mid-spring.

Discuss...

Steve.

Whats all this about the summer solstice being the first day of summer!........ Discuss...
Steve.

I always see that the natural world doesn't agree with our take on the seasons - especially down here.

It wasn't long ago that children in Portugal were taught that snow comes at Christmas and Swallows return in the spring - couldn't be further from the truth down here where we have a Mediterranean climate.

I wasn't being serious about the "first day of summer" - just highlighting the typical early return of wintering Green Sandpipers - it was only days ago that some Sanderling were still passing north round here. Nothings set in stone ;)

There are so many definitions of the seasons! The best I have heard (maybe it was even on here?) was the seasons as applied to birds:

April-May Spring migration (2 months)
June-July Summer for breeding (2 months)
August-October Autumn migration (3 months)
November-March Winter (5 months!)

However, these dates are only really applicable in the UK and even here you could argue that early June is still spring migration and that early November is still autumn migration.

Andy M.

I always see that the natural world doesn't agree with our take on the seasons - especially down here.

It wasn't long ago that children in Portugal were taught that snow comes at Christmas and Swallows return in the spring - couldn't be further from the truth down here where we have a Mediterranean climate.

I wasn't being serious about the "first day of summer" - just highlighting the typical early return of wintering Green Sandpipers - it was only days ago that some Sanderling were still passing north round here. Nothings set in stone ;)

Totally agree that 'bird seasons' are different from ours. It can often be tricky to tell which way waders in particular are headed come mid-June. When it comes to official seasons though I prefer to stick with the old pagan/celtic views ;)

I must admit, as a UK birder, there only seems to be three seasons. Spring, when stuff is moving north, which overlaps with Autumn, when stuff starts to move south again, and Winter. Thinking about it, that sums up the UK's year, even if you're not a birder. The only places that have 4 birding season's are the tropics. Hot - with non-breeding species arriving. Hot - with non-breeding species hanging around. Hot - with non-breeding species departing, and Hot - with whatever's left.

Chris

Green Sandpiper reported at Baron's Haugh (Motherwell) yesterday. Unknown if its returning south or has bred locally, but it hasn't been seen for a few months.

Riverside CP, Medway, Kent this evening.

There has certainly been a change in the birds present as I'd seen nothing on the wader front but Oystercatchers for the last couple of weeks!:
3 x Greenshank (one colour-ringed which I've submitted).
10 x Redshank
2 x Avocet (although they had 2 young - so not migrants)
1 x Blackwit
1 x Garden Warbler (my first for the patch)
1 x Chiff
2 x Swift
1 x Cuckoo
1 x Turtle Dove
5 x Swallow

Andy M.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back