• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Microstage and Swarovski ATS80? (1 Viewer)

ardnasx1

Sandra
I'm trying to sort out my digiscoping set up on a limited budget and was considering buying a Baader Microstage. I have a Swarovski ATS80 with 20-60 zoom. I see that the Microstage fits up to 60mm eyepieces which should be suitable but I want to check if anyone else has this setup. I don't want to have to remove the eyecup and I don't want it to be a tight sqeeze to get it on and off. I bought the Foxfoto set up and it is too tight to use. Does anybody use this set up and if so how user friendly is it?

While many like the Baader setup, I absolutely hate it. I find it way too cumbersome. There is a new SGrit adapter that is getting good reviews that looks far superior to the Baader.

rka said:
While many like the Baader setup, I absolutely hate it. I find it way too cumbersome. There is a new SGrit adapter that is getting good reviews that looks far superior to the Baader.
Thanks rka. My problem with the SRB Griturn, while it does sound excellent it's over 3 times the price, Baader £30, SRB £95.

ardnasx1 said:
Does anybody use this set up and if so how user friendly is it?
I have recently switched from the Baader to the SRB Griturn. I used the Baader platform with the older AT80HD, but it is practically similar to the newer ATS-system. The screw-on clamp (+ camera) is large and quite easy to put on and take off, but fast it is not. It works if you put it on and go to digiscope, but if you are just viewing with the scope, the camera is not available immediately when something happens.

With some small cameras (Canon Ixus, Lumix FX01...) the Baader Microstage (60mm opening) may require a spacer between the platform and the camera, because of insufficient vertical adjustment range. This may leave the camera some millimeters too low, but this is really very easy to fix (with eg. a sheet of plywood).

I think the Baader is OK for the price and you can get just as good pics with it than with the SRB Griturn, but IMHO the possibility to swing on the camera in a fraction of a second makes the SRB adapter worth its higher price.

Best regards,

Ilkka

ps. There are some earlier discussions about the Baader platform. Someone even cleverly modified the adapter into a swing-out version. :t:

ardnasx1 said:
I'm trying to sort out my digiscoping set up on a limited budget and was considering buying a Baader Microstage. I have a Swarovski ATS80 with 20-60 zoom. I see that the Microstage fits up to 60mm eyepieces which should be suitable but I want to check if anyone else has this setup. I don't want to have to remove the eyecup and I don't want it to be a tight sqeeze to get it on and off. I bought the Foxfoto set up and it is too tight to use. Does anybody use this set up and if so how user friendly is it?

I have tested the Baader on a Swarovski zoom and it works fine.

While there are many excellent digiscoping adapters out there, some of the swining ones are amazing, in my eyes there is nothing wrong with the Baader. The main purpose of a digiscoping adapter is to hold the camera in the correct position, any other feature is just a bonus. With a bit of practice the adapter (with camera attached) can be put on in just a few seconds.

Great thanks, it's helpful to hear the different opinions. I think I'll go ahead and order the Baader and then down the road when I can afford a swing adaptor I can upgrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back