• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby dove returns & garden update (1 Viewer)

Dale5

Hi all,

Spotted my Baby dove in my back garden this afternoon, not seen it since it fledged 3 weeks ago. I was getting worried for a while, thought something bad had happened.
It was happily feeding with one of the parents, thanks goodness. Poor dove was drenched due to todays rain.
The other parent is currently sitting on 2 further eggs in the Yew Tree. :eek!:
The nesting bird looks higher in the nest, so I can only assume that the eggs have hatched. Welcome to my Dove garden. :-O

I have acquired a Baby Woodpigeon as well, who is regularly visiting my garden. :bounce:

No news on the nesting Woodpeckers, not seen them for a while, think it may not be progressing as well. Shame because that's what I was looking forward to the most.
Although I did spot a blue tit taking nesting material inside the woody box. What if the Woody returns, the blue tits face inside the box?? :eek!:

There were blue tits nesting in the Starling box, I checked the nest to see if all was well yesterday and the nest was complete with moss and feathers.
This afternoon I double checked the nestbox and a heep of untidy straw was in the box on top of the blue tit nest.
You've guessed it the Starlings have moved in. The box has only been up 3 months as well. But this should be interesting to watch. Never had nesting starlings before. :cool:

Poor blue tits, they shouldn't have gone upmarket with their nestbox so quick. o:) There are plenty of other nestboxes for them to choose from and a Sparrow terrace, should they be daring enough.

Hi Dale.
It's all go in your garden isn't it? If Blue Tits have emotions, I bet they were shaken rigid to find their nest usurped by the original intended box users: a lesson learned I hope. Your mention of Collared Doves prompts me to say that a nest which is behind my neighbour's satellite dish, and had two eggs for a while before it was deserted/predated, has not, to my surprise been used again. I suppose there is still time, but it's really disappointing as the nest was deserted many weeks ago.
I hope all your possibles turn into definites, and your garden becomes full of young 'uns.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Dale, you too Baz,

Talk about the place being 'a buzzin'! With all these webcams you tell us about, looks like yours should have one too! One day eh Dale.

I wish we had as much activity with our boxes as you do, though I'm not envious as it's so lovely to read about and we've had very good luck with ours over the years, so I'll only grumble a little bit! Plenty of time yet anyway.

IF the Blues do nest and breed in the Woody box and the Woodies return to it then you'll need to cage the box up with wire so the Blues can get in and out, but ensuring the Woodies can't reach in with those long bills and equally long tongues (like 8-P). I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they'll soon get the youngsters out if they can get there, so a word to the wise Dale, keep watch and keep us updated, please!

Sue

BazR said:
Hi Dale.
It's all go in your garden isn't it? If Blue Tits have emotions, I bet they were shaken rigid to find their nest usurped by the original intended box users: a lesson learned I hope. Your mention of Collared Doves prompts me to say that a nest which is behind my neighbour's satellite dish, and had two eggs for a while before it was deserted/predated, has not, to my surprise been used again. I suppose there is still time, but it's really disappointing as the nest was deserted many weeks ago.
I hope all your possibles turn into definites, and your garden becomes full of young 'uns.

All the best.
Baz.

Hiya Baz,

I do hope there is more luck across the way, for you to enjoy as well as us. It's always disappointing when frequent visitors stop returning....if they have done. Fingers crossed for the returning Baz!

Love, Sue.

Hi Dale,
That's good news about the C.Dove. Shame about the Woodies. Poor Blue Tits, bet they got a shock on their return, let's hope they take a fancy to one of the other boxes. Thanks for the update Dale.
All the best, Judo.

Hi Baz,

It certainly is all go in my garden. It's the best year I've had for seeing a 'variety of birds' :t: None of my neighbours feed the birds, so they come to me for food, which is very rewarding.
:bounce:

Don't worry, your Dove may nest again behind the satelite dish. From past years the doves do return to existing nests.
They can nest up until November according to my RSPB book. So there is plenty of time, just sooner rather than late, as it is spring.

Good luck with your nesting birds. :t:

Sue said:
Hi Dale, you too Baz,

Talk about the place being 'a buzzin'! With all these webcams you tell us about, looks like yours should have one too! One day eh Dale.

I wish we had as much activity with our boxes as you do, though I'm not envious as it's so lovely to read about and we've had very good luck with ours over the years, so I'll only grumble a little bit! Plenty of time yet anyway.

IF the Blues do nest and breed in the Woody box and the Woodies return to it then you'll need to cage the box up with wire so the Blues can get in and out, but ensuring the Woodies can't reach in with those long bills and equally long tongues (like 8-P). I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they'll soon get the youngsters out if they can get there, so a word to the wise Dale, keep watch and keep us updated, please!

Sue

I agree Sue, setting up a webcam, that would be great, Imagine a webcam in a Woody box. That not been done before? ;)

Funny enough, you mention wiring up the nestbox, 2 squirrels were taking a look inside the nesthole of the Starling box yesterday, I have now put some chicken wire around the box to stop them.

I take your point very seriously Sue, I will get some more wire and place it round the woody box, I couldn't bare to witness that, after all their hard work. o:)
Although I think the blue tits that were in the Woody box - are the same as those that were in the Starling box. The boxes are very near to each other.
The blue tits moved out of the Woody box and into the Starling box, only to be thrown out by the Starlings. Confused yet? I can't keep up with these blue tits, they certainly know what eviction is. Poor little mites, I just hope they settle somewhere.

My other nestboxes have metal plates over the hole, so they should be ok in them, stop the squirrels and woodys from getting them.

Let's hope they found a new home soon. :t:

Judo said:
Hi Dale,
That's good news about the C.Dove. Shame about the Woodies. Poor Blue Tits, bet they got a shock on their return, let's hope they take a fancy to one of the other boxes. Thanks for the update Dale.
All the best, Judo.

Hi Judo, Will keep you updated on the progress. I agree poor Blue Tits, coming back and finding straw over their mossy nest. All their hardwork gone to waste.

Although there's plenty of nesting material outside to encourage them again.
Not to mention a regular supply of mealworms. :t:

Hi all,

Further updates now - the Blue tits are continuing to place moss and feathers in the Starling Box, they certainly are persistent.

Blue Tits vs Starling - who wins? ;)

Hi again Dale,
I wouldn't like to guess, Starlings have size in their favour and are a bullying bunch, but the Blue Tits as you say are persistent little blighters. Lets hope that however it turns out that no birds are hurt. Please let us know the outcome and which ones win this very desirable residence.
All the best, Judo.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back