• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back button focus (1 Viewer)

shrek48

This maybe a ridiculous question but, is there any benefit to holding the back button focus in whilst taking pictures? does that keep the camera focusing as the subject moves ? I cannot seem to find an answer on the net! Does the D500 have tracking focus ability ?
TIA

This maybe a ridiculous question but, is there any benefit to holding the back button focus in whilst taking pictures? does that keep the camera focusing as the subject moves ? I cannot seem to find an answer on the net! Does the D500 have tracking focus ability ?
TIA
Using back button focus means the only function of the shutter button is to take the picture. Takes a bit of practice but very much worth it.

Back button focus enables you to compose a picture without having to half-press the shutter and then lose the focus on the subject as you move the focus point off it for composition. In that case you would release it before taking the picture.

If you keep the focus point over the subject then yes, holding it in will keep the focus on the subject as you take pictures.

John

I love BBF but just wondered if holding the button in whilst taking pictures of moving subjects mean't it would continually focus ;-)
thanks!

I love BBF but just wondered if holding the button in whilst taking pictures of moving subjects mean't it would continually focus ;-)
thanks!
It will try, and its one of the major reasons to use BBF!
If you shoot a burst of frames on a moving subjects it is pretty much a must do to keep the the BBF button down, unless the is a reason to let go -panning and an object in the foreground passes through the frame!
Depending on the frame rate you may have an out of focus frame in the sequence, but for the majority the focus will track along. The more the frame is filled by the subject the more reliable it is. If you don't, then the first frame maybe in focus and that's it.
Try it for yourself and take a series of an approaching car .........

Be sure you're set to AFC.

Be sure you're set to AFC.
Thanks, downloading now, yes AFC ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back