• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (3 Viewers)

Evening all, looked hard for a good raptor today, just Buzzards and Buzzards for me though....I notice Exmouth had a Red Kite ....Terry???

Seaton Marshes mid morning was quiet - 8 Whimbrel were in the field to the north (see pici), and 2 Sedge Warblers sang, along with the two resident Cetti's.

Haven't seen much on the river all day, about 30 Black-headed Gulls and 2 Egyptian Geese! A singing Lesser Whitethroat at Colyton WTW was rather nice - my second of the year, and out fourth....which is miles better than this time last year! Late evening I had a drive around the back lanes of Axmouth, a couple of Whitethroats and stacks of Yellowhammers. I got out of my car at one place and could hear this constant tapping noise...It was two Red-legged Partridge tapping their bills against their reflections in a dumped oven! Comical!! Saw about 8 more of these snazy Partridges elsewhere along the lanes.

Absolutle magic event late in the day though, probably one of the best things I've seen this year (up there with Stone Curlew, Laughing Gull etc...). I was enjoying a rather poor seawatch at about 19:00, a small flock of Manxies flew east, and other than a feeding flock of Gulls it was quiet. Whilst watching this flock I suddenly saw fins! WOW! A pod of at least 10 Common Dolphins (my first of this species here) showed superbly! They were obviously busy fishing, up and down, up and down....wow it was amazing!!!! Felt rather privilaged to say the least!

Working till four tomorrow...I hear there is cloud coming over....it could be a good day!!

Attachments

• Whimbrel.jpg
    Whimbrel.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hey Steve, I like your canny ploy of three mouthfuls at a time but I have a tip for you. Switch to a lard diet and you can use the old 'one mouthful' ploy and spend more time in the field bagging those common migrants yet to come to shut up Gav.

Gav knows I will stick to my tried and trusted method of wading into the Seaton area and seeing all your BB rares then bunking off to Frydays. If I am a bit flush I shall carry on to Sidford for a special treat from Bloaters!

Hi All, Farm Gate am 3 whimbrel. But most important our two Egyptian Cuddled up on Coly Common. Swift, Hobby, Spotted Fly, Our Guess for the three next Patch Spots.

Managed to get out and about early this morning, first stop Beer Head- saw 3 willow warblers, 1 chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, 4 wheatear and 1 Lesser whitethroat....next i went to Beer Quarry - saw and heard 3 willows singing and 2 chiffchaff, but best of all 2 Grasshopper Warblers both reeling, even managed to get a brief but decent view of one of them, then went to fields opposite and saw more willows and chiffs singing, and also had good views of a couple of Jays, and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Thanks to Bun, came out of work at four and straight to Beer Quarry where two Grasshopper Warblers were reeling....it's just the best sound made by a bird ever!!!! Also a Sedge Warbler here would have been a migrant.

After dinner a walk up the river with Bun showed an Iceland Gull! A very white first-summer bird, could be either of the two from earlier in the month, great that at least one is still around! Also 2 Sedge Warblers, 3 Cetti's, 3 Stonechats, 2 Egyptian Geese, 1 Dunlin, 4 Whimbrel and lots of hirrundines.

Attachments

• Iceland-April.jpg
    Iceland-April.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 85
  • Iceland-April-2.jpg
    Iceland-April-2.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 54
  • Iceland-April3.jpg
    Iceland-April3.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 47
Great to be back!!!! It's changed quite a bit hasn't it!?!

Ok, quick run down of the last two days:

Yesterday: Beer Head very early, but it was very very foggy! Noted four migrants, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Yellow Wag (calling from the fog) and 1 cracking male Redstart - equalling last springs total, 17. In the afternoon, a 1st-summer Med Gull was on the river, picture attached.

Today: Again, Beer Head early morning, but it was even more foggy than yesterday!!! Still, broke the spring record for Redstarts, with our 18th in the Sheepwalk. Then had a bit of a sea watch - which turned out to be great, with 118 Whimbrel W (biggest flock 37), 3 Curlew W, 16 Sandwich Tern W, 10 Gannets, 2 drake Common Scoters sat on the sea, 2 1st-summer Med Gulls loafing about close in with 2 Wheatears in-off.

Had a rather gripping text from Karen an hour after I started work..."3 Little Terns off the seafront"....the last record of Little Tern here was in the mid 60's I think.....(though obviously many would have occured since, just not seen). It was a painful 3 and half hour wait till me lunch break, then straight to the seafront, and with the first scan there they were. SUPERB! After a while, they came really close in - lovely little things, made a million times better by being here, in our bay! Well done Karen!!! :clap:

Attachments

• Med-Gull-1st-year.jpg
    Med-Gull-1st-year.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 70
Having had an enforced abstinence from BF while it has been upgraded I will have to compress 3 days into one post.....

Sunday 22/4
A points claim, Steve - a very pale, grey Bar-tailed Godwit on the estuary in the evening. A new bird, I think, and a monster 3 points. Best of all, though, an Axe first - the definite pair of Little Egrets have a definite nest, and there is definite 'sitting' going on, implying the presence of a definite egg or 2. I hope so. The first successful breeding in Devon was as recent as 2002, with 19 active nests recorded in 2005. It seems slightly unreal that Little Egret was still a rare bird only 20 years ago.

Monday 23/4
The Spring Curse struck today, ie. a nice onshore breeze combined with a thick blanket of fog. Seawatching plans were therefore shelved..... Had a very late lunch today, and used it to check the river - 2 first-summer Med Gulls were my first since early March, and very welcome (we didn't see any Meds at all last April). Visited Colyford Common in the evening, where Bonanza points were waiting in abundance - another Bar-tailed Godwit was accompanying 11 Whimbrel as they flew off NW. Then a Hobby flew through W, scattering hirundines in all directions, and finally a Swift headed S towards Seaton. The last 2 were (hopefully) the first of the year. A walk down the river with Steve produced 6 Ringed Plover and another 16 Whimbrel.

Today 24/4
No birding for me today.....well, that was the plan. Mid-afternoon, though, and I found myself HAVING to respond to a text from Karen. Hopefully she'll post later, detailing her finding of a patch mega - THREE of them, in fact. Up until just recently believed to be a very surprising gap on the Seaton list, until the discovery of 2 records from 1962, Little Tern now finds its way onto a few contemporary Seaton lists.......|:D| Nice one Karen!! :t:

Finally, an early evening look at the river - a first-summer Med Gull (presumably one of yesterday's two) was nice, and there was yet another mini-points earner - yes, a Bar-tailed Godwit - this time a nice brown one just beginning to show some summer colour. Unfortunately it headed off S with 6 Whimbrel when I tried to sneak up and snap it. Another 12 Whimbrel were flying around N of Coronation Corner.

Last edited:
Smashing birds them little terns (wish i could of stayed all afternoon and watched them feed, superb!) another lifer, nice one karen,....think i might have to give up my routine of celebrating every lifer with a chinese takeaway and a few tins of guinness, or i will probably weigh about 25 stone by the end of the year!! 7 wheatear up Beer Head this evening but not much else of note...stacks of swallows on seaton marshes tonight and 6 sandwich terns on seafront.

37 hours without Birdforum seemed like ages!! ...........

Still less time on birdforum means more time out birding!

On Monday Axe Cliff was thick with fog but I did see my first Whitethroat of the year. Apart from that I had a rather unproductive day.

Today started better with a Hobby over Cownhayne Farm Colyton and later in the morning, a female Redstart, just South of Boshill Cross narrowly missed a rather close encounter with my car radiator grill!! I had to break hard to miss it! :eek!:

At lunchtime I decided to take the dog down the beach. After a quick walk with him I sat in the car and watched some Sandwich Terns fishing off the river mouth. After a while I heard an unfamiliar high-pitched chattering and then I saw them........... TINY TERNS!!! 3 of them, hovering briefly before diving and very dainty!

Having never seen Little Terns before I wasn't sure at first what they were, but they were terns and they were very little, so Duh! Little Terns they must be. Palpitations ensued! Had I spotted a patch MEGA!?? I put out a text and was very happy to quickly hear from Gavin who confirmed my ID over the phone. They had moved out of sight of me by now, but were relocated further west where we had some more great close views of them. Brilliant! |=)|

I got a second look at them in the evening when they dutifully reappeared for Steve to see, they were still off the front at 6 o' clock.

Wonder if they will be around tomorrow ? I know I will! |=)|

Last edited:
First - thanks for all those who helped with my last bird pic identification. Having been out with some keen birding friends over the last two days I realise that not being able to hear anything but Gulls and Crows puts me at a distinct disadvantage! Especially so when walking round Raddipole when they kept hearing Cetti's Warblers. One did eventually show itself so I had to believe them about the others.

Tuesday there were 4 Whimbrels at Colyton and another couple at Seaton. Also 10 Wheatears at Seaton (9 on the estuary islands and one on the power cables near Borroe Pit).

Roger

Attachments

• M10_EOS_107013e.jpg
    M10_EOS_107013e.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 72
For various reasons I have not been putting much time in on the patch recently.

I had to take mother-in-law to Axminster Hospital early this morning so took the opportunity to have a stroll around Trinity Hill.

Plenty of finches, chiffs, willow warblers, linnetts, plus blackcap, yellow hammer, goldcrest, coal tit, tree creeper, buzzard, GSW, song thrushes, two male bullfinches and at least 3 mistle thrushes.

Highlight though was a tree pipit which I heard first and then saw when it did a couple of sorties between a large deciduous tree and a large conifer tree in an open area of the reserve.

No sound or view of darties opposite the smaller car park.

This afternoon I took a short walk up Ridgeway and Clay Lanes. GSW, chiffs, blackcap and some finches my only reward. I did see green veined white, small white, speckled wood and red admiral butterflies.

Ian Waite and I had a look around Beer Head last Saturday 21 April. Not a lot about - four wheatears, whitethroats, blackcaps, swallow, and a fair number of willow warblers and chiffs.

Main interest was a reeling gropper at the top of the hollow. Ian and I were joined by Jean Millen and the three of us waited patiently but it didn't show itself.

We rounded off the birding with a couple of nice butterflies - small copper and green hairstreak.

Usual morning walk up on the Axecliff and Undercliffs didn't produce much to mention except 5 Whitethroats .

This evening spent a couple of hours out. At Coronation Corner there was a Mediterranean Gull (not adult, but I don't know what age). An Iceland Gull (a very white one) and a female Whinchat on the salt marsh.

The field at the Farm Gate had 5 Mistle Thrushes and a GSW in it, also a Sedge Warbler singing and a reeling Grasshopper Warbler.

Welcome home Phil, saw you from Farm Gate. Nice tan! |=)| A bit cold for those shorts this evening though?! ;)

Nice to hear a bit of Trinity Hill news, John - Nightjars should be back pretty soon.

April has been dire for seawatching so far - this morning was the first time for ages with a combination of onshore wind AND reasonable visibility. I was down there like a shot. Stayed until just after 08:00 - not much in the way of numbers, but a nice variety (all counts W/E): Gannet 8/28, Manxie 25, Kittiwake 3/2, Common Scoter /5, Red-throated Diver 1, Whimbrel 6, Sandwich Tern 4, plus the highlight - my first skua this year - 1 Bonxie E. All very welcome - I am missing my seawatching, big-time!

As I was working in and around Seaton today I managed a couple of brief looks at the river. The 2 Egyptian Geese put in an appearance at the tram sheds, hand in hand. At least 16 Whimbrel up the valley today. Other waders were a single Ringed Plover, 3 Dunlin and a Common Sand. Good numbers of gulls today - due, at least in part, to the ongoing ploughing of a field just N of Axmouth. The 'white' Iceland Gull was around the estuary all day - in the field during the evening. Also now 3 first-summer Med Gulls, which makes me wonder whether there has actually been some turnover? Just 2 Wheatears for me today - at Colyford Marsh late evening - and a total of 5 Swifts.

I was enjoying a late lunch at the Farm Gate viewpoint, waiting for the imminent Marsh Harrier and catching up with the Archers, when James McC spotted me and pulled up. He promptly told me off for having the radio on, pointing out that I would never hear the Zitting Fan-tailed Cisticola Warbler with all that chatter about bovine mastitis drowning it out. I obediently turned the radio off and climbed out of the van. After a few minutes yacking we both stopped dead, looked at each other and pointed down the hill. 'Gropper!' said James. 'Grasshopper Warbler!' said I, pedantically. Mine took longer to say and, though I finished last, I definitely started earlier, therefore feeling justified in claiming the Bonanza Points. James disagreed, so after several inconclusive rounds of 'Rock, Paper, Scissors' we decided to call it a 'joint find', forcing Steve to give BOTH of us lots of points......|=)|

Hi all!

Yep, both get the points for the Gropper. As for Barwits, I had a moulting bird on river late morning on Tuesday, and another in-off at 6pm with a few Whimbrel and a Curlew - though I was told you had just booted them out to sea about an hour before....but would it really come back??!! An hour later???

Today, Beer Head first thing was dead, except for things flying over, the largest Swallow passage I've seen so far, passing at roughly 180/hour - in with them a Swift, and 25+ Goldfinches. Then had a ten min look out to sea, a Red-throated Diver and a small gang of Whimbrel flew west. At Lower Bruckland, one of our Egyptian Geese - I wonder if this may be a potential nest site???

Then I went to work, and stayed there all day, mind you - have a day off tomorrow....time to yank it up a few gears I think....

have a day off tomorrow....time to yank it up a few gears I think....

I've just seen the forecast for tomorrow...I take that back and opt for a lie in!!

WAS TOLD??!!

BOOTED??!!

This thread is just non-stop slander!!

Sorry, I forgot to add some ;) ;) ;) ;)

I will re-phrase - I was reliably informed that in the excitement of the well earnt bonanza points, you celebrated with a blast of Queen, and 'We are the champions'. Whilst dancing on the estuary side and playing some air guitar, the birds were spooked and flew calmly in the direction of the sea.

I will re-phrase - I was reliably informed that in the excitement of the well earnt bonanza points, you celebrated with a blast of Queen, and 'We are the champions'. Whilst dancing on the estuary side and playing some air guitar, the birds were spooked and flew calmly in the direction of the sea.

That's more like it. Let's have no more exaggeration on here - it can make a person look bad.....|=)|

....but would it really come back??!! An hour later???

Of course not Steve!!

You go ahead and bag those 3 hard earned points, after all, unlike some of us, you REALLY NEED them to bolster up your flagging total, don't you!!???;) ;) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back