• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (1 Viewer)

The dreaded 'work' today.......though I did manage to see 1, maybe 2 Alpine Swifts this morning as they arrived at Lower Bruckland Ponds. Sadly not the low-flying trick-show they put on earlier in the week, and not all 3 together either.......around 30 Sand Martins and 1 or 2 Swallows there also. Steve let me know they all went to roost again tonight.......good.

So, 3 messages for 3 James'......

James McC - thanks for note re intermedius LBB - bet they're more regular in Devon than their 'A' list rarity status suggests - well, maybe East Devon?

James, aka 'Ranger James' - hope you got the Swifts OK. I know the feeling when work is keeping you from the birds (honest!).

James, aka 'JWN Andrewes' - good to meet you this morning (another one for my diminutive BF200 list) - hope you had a great day. And all the best for your forthcoming 'Great Adventure'!!!! ;)

The grapevine has it that the swifts enjoyed the company of LGRE this evening.............if you read this, Lee, sorry I missed you - it's been a while.

Finally, I see the Plymouth (presumably?) Black-winged Stilt has got to Thurlestone, which, of course, is a step in the right direction. The way things are going it will not only eventually get to Seaton, but will bring a friend!

Last edited:
Well I managed two trips out to Beer Head today, early morning pure birding, and late afternoon, showing my girlfriend all the 'cute lambs!'!!! Little on both visits, 2 Willow Warblers (morning but not afternoon), 1 Chiffchaff and 3 Blackcap the best.

When I went to work at 9 the Swifts were still tucked up, but had superb views this evening just before they went up to roost, while eating cod and chips too.... 3:)

A few laps of the river and Seaton Marshes were rather blank, just the odd Swallow and Sand Martin.

Cheers Gavin, good to meet you too. We popped down to the bridge after Lower Bruckland Ponds and saw those Egyptian Geese I've been reading all about. Good looking patch, I have to say. Great Adventure approaching at a rate of knots - eight weeks on Saturday! Followed by a fortnight in Kenya which is not (and I quote) "a bloody birding holiday". We'll see. (After all, I mean Kenya - what else is there to do!!)

Thanks againto to you and all your co-patchers for finding the birds and then keeping the gen coming.

James

Beer Head again this morning with Gav. Well worth the effort!!! Between 07:00 - 08:30 we logged 2 Wheatear, a cracking male Redstart (my Dad had a second one later), 6 Blackcap, 6 Chiffchaff, 1 Goldcrest and at least 20 Willow Warblers (hard to count accuratly!), including one acredula-type, we had it side by side with a 'standard' Will, jaw droppingly different, whole bird just a pale washed out grey, the brightest part of it being it's legs!

After this a look on Seaton Marshes produced just 6+ each of Willows and Chiffs, little else.

While driving to Sidmouth I had a call from Gav about an Axe rarity. So a few hours later I took a look at it on the river, a Turnstone with 3 Ringed Plover. To most people it's just a Turnstone, but to us....IT'S A TURNSTONE!!!!! I'm sure Gav with explain the rarity value of it later.

Off to work now till ten, so that's my birding for today done, but role on the weekend.

Attachments

• Turnstone.jpg
    Turnstone.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Steve Waite said:
BTo most people it's just a Turnstone, but to us....IT'S A TURNSTONE!!!!! I'm sure Gav with explain the rarity value of it later.

With you there Steve - get little flocks of Red-necked Phalaropes most springs and sometimes autumn, get quite a few Marsh Sandpipers, even Broad-billed Sandpipers outnumber them ...a Turnstone is a good bird on my patch too (mind you I am 300 km from the coast). Think I saw just one last year. Wouldn't mind your Alpine Swifts though ...reckon you've had them long enough now, send 'em over, ta.

Steve Waite said:
...IT'S A TURNSTONE!!!!! I'm sure Gav with explain the rarity value of it later.
My 2005 year list has a blank space next to Turnstone. In my 3+ years here I've seen more Alpine Swifts than Turnstones, so definitely an Axe rarity! Thanks to a text from Ian McLean, no blank space this year.

Beer Head this morning was well worth the effort, as Steve mentioned, and a late lunch break there added 15 Rock Pipits, plus a few Swallows straight through. Later in the afternoon a quick look at Colyford Common produced another male Redstart - excellent - plus the news that the new boardwalk and viewpoint should be open by the end of next week, hopefully.

Butterfly list gained a couple - Painted Lady today at Beer head and Comma yesterday at Seaton Marshes.

Last edited:
Another weeks gone by ,now the weekends here hopefully get some birding in.caught up with the Turnstone i think thats my second one here ever,as the others said, a real axe rare,nice one Ian thanks for the call.collectivly theres been 3 new species this week ,osprey,redstart,turnstone.That brings the total up to 145

Anyone know of the late report of the Osprey today?

Saw the Swifts for the third time this morning. Much better views as they left the roost compared to last time. They woke up late at 915am though. Still got a thrill out of them, cracking birds.

Could not find the Egyptian Geese for my mate though.

Think it was two years ago when I had a flock of 6 Turnstone on the river, a bumper Turnstone autumn, but except for that...just todays bird.

Had a quick twenty minutes between shifts, the 3 Swifts were zooming around low over town at 18:30, and at Seaton Marshes, a single White Wagtail, and among the good numbers of Swallows and Sand Martins, one House Martin.

Steve Waite said:
Think it was two years ago when I had a flock of 6 Turnstone on the river, a bumper Turnstone autumn, but except for that...just todays bird.

Had a quick twenty minutes between shifts, the 3 Swifts were zooming around low over town at 18:30, and at Seaton Marshes, a single White Wagtail, and among the good numbers of Swallows and Sand Martins, one House Martin.

Steve

Did anybody see the birds go to roost tonight?

i was planning to do a video diary for Birdforum tomorrow morning?

Rgds

Paul

Beer Head Musings.......

Ever played this game? As you walk up to some familiar spot on your patch you say to your mate (or yourself) "I can just imagine a [insert fantasy bird] right here....." As I wandered about Beer Head this afternoon, aware there was a Subalpine Warbler at Christchurch, I could clearly see exactly where the Subalp would be found. Just along the coast, almost close enough to scope, lies Portland. They've had a few Subalps - I've seen one there - so, not too outrageous then? The thing is, 'cos we've had such an awesome spring you get the feeling that one or two of these little fantasies will actually come true. I mean, really! The confidence boost that comes from having a very greedy birder's share of pukka rares turn up on your patch is incredible.........and it makes you look harder.

Climbs onto soap box.......What do you think - could it be that living in the pager/instant info age means that loads of potentially terrific little local patches just lie neglected? Don't get me wrong - I know I'm spoiled, living on the S coast, but (for example) between Portland and the Exe, how much of this coast gets a severe looking at? Not much, I'll bet. There must be stacks of great little migrant traps just waiting to be found. The buzz of patch birding is second to none.........guess I'm mostly preaching to the converted here, but if not - try it. Nothing beats finding a rare on your own patch, and....'if you work it, they will come'....guaranteed! Right - off me soap box now - sorry about that.

Portland......hmmm.....many's the time I've gazed wistfully across at it from Beer Head, thinking how they've got this and that, and we've got zip. Mr. Cade chuckling smugly as he fills in the bulging log.......215 Wrynecks, 86 Barred Warblers...... But today we've got 3 Alpine Swifts and they've got (nearly) zip - we've even got more Redstarts!!! 3:)

OK - going by my previous excursions into fun-poking, that's a surefire way to ensure Portland gets a fall of Black-eared Wheatears and we get a total clearout and nothing else new this year......

Talking of 'new this year' - already seen 8 species I didn't see last year - amazing.

Finally......Dan - hope you came, saw and listed!

Edit: Andrew - the Osprey was apparently seen by one of the tram drivers - no other observers that I know of..........

Paul - just seen your post - can't answer for sure, but if they were over the town at 18:30 they probably roosted.

Last edited:
Beer headed

A little muggy this morning, typing from the hairdressers - wonders of modern thinternet.

Had a great afternoon yesterday on Beer Head, nice fulmar playing on the updrafts, and nearly got my head knocked off by a peregrine flying low over the crest of the hill before dropping off the edge of the cliff. Hedges were full of blackcaps, but sadly I didn't catch up with a redstart.

I have a funny feeling I'm not getting the best from this spot, so Gav, could you provide some advice on which routes you take over beer head? Do you skirt the cliff edge path, or do you meander further back from the edge? When's the best time of day for the head?

Nice to catch up with the swifts before going to my final meeting of the day on thursday, they are pulling a great mixed crowd of birders and shoppers, what a fantastic bird for non-binocular wearers!

Black winged stilt on colyford common yet? Can't be long!
See you all about chaps.
James

Gavin Haig said:
Finally......Dan - hope you came, saw and listed!
Nope didn't manage it due to a technical failure (car screwed up) from the person I was getting a lift with :eek!:

Ah well, there'll be more....just hold on to the ones you've got I might get another chance yet!

Keep the thread going lads, really good read! :hippy:

Cheers

Last edited:
Went to beer head this morning very quiet,2 willow warblers.willow warblers :seaton marshes 1 ,coly ford common 10+ also jammed into a tree pipit at colyford calling then landed in the same area as last year,Gav later refound yesterdays Redstart which i saw(at last).Stacks of Hirrundines around the upper Axe at kilmington this evening, still no House martin for me yet.At lunch took steve to a different area at beer which looks good,nothing today but after about 5 mins of us getting there a Badger came charging down the track straight for us then veered off and disappeared,i looked at steve who was in the early stages of panic and he tried to convince me it was a rogue male which had been kicked out of a sett and was a bit grumpy. which is probably true,but maneater i dont think so.

A bitty day - pretty much a blank at Beer Head first thing; a quick look off the seafront at 07:55 produced 1 RTD and 1 GC Grebe on the sea and 8 Gannets E; one Ringed Plover on the estuary.

Mid-afternoon the Redstart showed well at Colyford Common, though it was a bit flighty, then off to Lower Bruckland Ponds for a good dose of Alpine Swift - all 3 together again (also visible looking N from A3052). Next, went and checked out a tasty little valley that runs E out of Axmouth - although it didn't produce much this afternoon, I'm sure it will.....watch this space.

Finally, a half hour seawatch this evening was just about saved from total direness by 2 Manxies E. At !8:30 I casually ambled along to get some chips and watch the swifts come in to roost, only to find they already had! Getting up later and going to bed earlier - it's the sea air, you know..........

Beer Head - James, you'll get the most out of it by wandering everywhere! The cliffs, undercliff (viewed from the top!), hedges, fields, scrub and trees can all produce, from the car park right over to the top slopes of Branscombe. How much I do depends on how much time I've got (not alot, usually) and how much is jumping out of the bushes! On a really good day you could easily spend 3 hours and still feel like you've missed stuff. On a bad day, 30 min is too much! One of these days I'll get round to doing a proper map of it, with a little site guide or something.........we'll see......
Almost forgot - time of day - early morning seems best (especially in autumn, right from first light) though it seems likely that in spring birds may take a little while to filter up onto the top. That said, on Tuesday Steve goes up 17:00 and gets Osprey, and the Redstart waits for him too - but we don't all have a jammy streak running form head to toe!

Dan - grim! They seem to like it here, though - polish up your blagging technique.....

Steve - take no notice of Phil's mickey-taking. I know exactly how you felt. When that Weasel scuttled past the van the other day, just feet away, with its teeth bared, I was so glad the door was shut tight....... 3:)

Last edited:
Hahaha....Re: the badger comments.....You can't deny it Phil, you were on the edge of panicing too....death by badger wouldn't be a nice way to go....

This is my update for yesterday..........

And that was it, very few birds at all!!! 3:)

Beer Head first thing only produced 3 Willow Warblers and 47 Wood Pigeons west.

The three Egyptian Geese were still viewable from the A3052. Butterflies were the highlight of the day, with three new ones for the year for me, a Red Admiral, a Comma and a Green-veined White, all at Colyford Common, takes me up to 7.

Todays post will be up later, so far it's been a good day

So now for today.

Started the morning with a lie in for a change - and then Beer Head, 08:35 - 10:00. Very enjoyable. Vis mig produced only a Shelduck, 16 Wood Pigeon and a Pied Wagtail , all west, but grounded birds included a cracking male Redstart (the 5th of the year for us, not bad seeing that we only had 6 all last year!), 9 Willow Warblers, 9 Chiffchaffs and 6 Blackcaps.

For the remainder of the day I concentrated on the river and both marshes. A Dunlin (the first for a while, a nice summer plumaged bird) was on the river and Seaton Marshes had good numbers of Willow Warblers, with lesser numbers of Chiffchaffs. Apart from this the 3 Egyptian Geese still and the Alpine Swifts were hawking over Lower Bruckland when I called in to see them. Swallows and Sand Martins are pretty much everywhere now.

Last edited:
Tied up with other commitments most of the day, but managed to be in town by 18:20 to see the Alpine Swifts. Again, I'd missed it - all 3 were in bed already! Apparently the first one was tucked in by about 17:30......what a bunch of wimps......they'll be wanting Ovaltine next.

From there I went up Beer Head for an hour, and had it completely to myself. The evening sun picked out a rainbow hanging from a cloud over the bay. Portland was crystal clear in the distance. What a beautiful place to be on a spring evening, I thought.........2 Willow Warblers and a Swallow agreed with me. I was so blown away by the view that I didn't even care that there were hardly any birds.........I will if it happens too often, though!!

These swifts seem pretty setlled in their routine, so will hopefully stay a while longer - tomorrow will be their 10th day. My first Alpine Swift (Wraysbury GP in 1983) stayed at least 17 days!! Coincidentally, that bird was preceded by a Night Heron too. The Staines/Wraysbury area in W.London was my chosen patch back then, and worked with youthful enthusiasm. I'd very much like to think the coincidental sequence of rarities will continue, 'cos later that spring we had a male Kentish Plover, female Red-necked Phalarope and Collared Pratincole at Staines Res!!!!!! Too much to hope for??

Ranger James said:
Thanks for the tips Gav - I shall keep checking out beer head and see what turns up for me.
Cheers
james
I'm sure something will turn up for you, James. Which reminds me - if anything does, do you have a contact number? If not, let me know and I'll PM you my mobile. After all, 'Quality Birds are made for sharing'!!

Very, very little birding today - a quick look at the river early this morning produced 3 Ringed Plover. The rest of the day was spent working at home. Around 16:40, text from Steve - 'Spoonbill!!' Nipped rapidly down to Seaton Marshes just in time to see it heading away W, pretty high. Glad I've already seen one (maybe 2) this year, 'cos views weren't very.....erm.....tickable!!

A swiftless day for me - how will I cope?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back