• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (7 Viewers)

Considering the conditions that's a BRILLIANT photo, Steve! Attached are about the best I could manage from the hide - they really ARE awful (if better than nothing!).

All the photos of the Audouin's Gull are OK! They serve a purpose and are certainly MUCH, MUCH BETTER than none at all!!

The day started pretty slow with visibility too poor for any productive seawatching. It improved later though when I stopped in the Axmouth lay-by for a chat with Steve, who promptly pointed out a couple of Common Terns flying down the river. Just before we parted company he said he was off to Seaton Marshes to get a closer look at a field of gulls that we could see......................

What a great find Steve :t: Well deserved! A brilliant bird. I didn't realise it was quite as rare as it is. I feel very privileged to have seen it, when it stopped hiding that is.

I managed to fit in a couple of short seawatches today in some brief clearer intervals. A bit mundane after today's excitement I know, but here are the results for the record.

14:50 - 15:50:
Gannet 25(w)/2(E), Kittiwake 2, Common Tern /2, Arctic Skua 1, and Balearic Shearwater 1.

17:45 - 18:30:
Gannet 7, Kittiwake 1, Arctic Skua 1, Dunlin 12 out.

I think a Slender-billed Gull would be nice next please Steve! ;)

Last edited:
A big thanks for Steve!

Gull watching at Seaton has really paid off big time beyond it's wildest imaginations. Now the bar has been raised, what next?

Well what a cracking day, found a fiver at work this morning and a tenner this afternoon....

Well, that's nicely covered the Chinese you're due for today's lifer! |=)|

The day started in ridiculous fashion, with a very wet visit to the Beer shelters for an early seawatch. Next to no visibility most of the time, and next to no birds all of it. Decided I'd have another go later if the visibility improved...

Late morning, Steve calls. "There's an Audouin's Gull at Seaton Marshes" - a simple, unambiguous phrase, it's meaning quite clear. But my poor little mind could not cope. "Really?" I replied, lamely. Quickly realising this was the incorrect response, and that "I'm on my way RIGHT NOW!" was far more appropriate, I hurried to the Seaton Marshes car park. Just Steve's car. Rang Steve. "Still there?" "Yes. I'm in the hide". The path to the hide is a few minutes of pleasant strolling as a rule. Interestingly, when running it fiendishly transforms into a gruelling 2-mile uphill slog. I reckon a few birders noticed it perform that neat trick today. The bird was at least 500m away, through light drizzle, nestled among a sizeable cluster of big gulls, in longish grass. Nightmare. I could see its mantle, wing tips, and the back of its head. Great. It then simply dissolved into the flock. Marvellous. Several minutes went by, punctuated by a great deal of anxious muttering from Steve. Suddenly it poked its beady-eyed head out, waving a STONKING red bill. I was utterly stunned! I stayed another hour and a half or so, but it was extremely elusive, mostly giving only tantalisingly brief and incomplete views. Eventually, though, it stood in full view for several minutes, preening. It was still in view when I left.

Commiserations to those who just missed it when the flock dispersed later, and well done to those who persevered, and refound it this evening.

A nice little conundrum for those interested in probability theory:

What is the likelihood of finding
a) a 4th for Britain
b) on your local patch
c) at a range of 500m+
d) in a flock of gulls where it can completely disappear 85% of the time (ie. your casual scan happens to be during the other 15%)
e) when, during the last 4 months, you have already found an Iberian Chiffchaff, a Bonaparte's Gull, and the first twitchable Stone Curlew in Devon for 20 years (also all on your local patch)?​

Several mathematics professor and William Hill consultant mates of mine have all come up with the same answer: 14 zillion to one. As one of them put it, you have more chance of creating intelligent life from a box of matches and some pork scratchings.

Which just goes to prove that Steve Waite is actually Clark Kent, and a fine asset for the ardent local lister to have around..........|=)|

Last edited:
Can't stop laughing Gav!!!!!!

Anyways, lots of wind and rain for me means two potentials.... 1) seawatching, 2) river/marshes for sheltering vagrants/passage birds (eg last years GB Tern). With all the rain and fog about, it had to be option two. Went to Colyford first: 3 Blackwits, 14 Dunlin and 2 wonderful Common Terns over the scrape - great, my theory worked, they wouldn't have been there if it wasn't for the weather! Then went along the river, 2 Common Terns now here, along with a 1st-year Med Gull. Then the final port of call, Seaton Marshes. Sat in the hide, scope out looking half-heartedly though this distant flock of Gulls (they were very distant, in dull light and I could only see half the flock - so I wasn't trying hard). Just where the flock was disappearing behind some bramble bushes there sat one Gull in full view.... PANIC!!!!!! White head, dusky belly, weird size.....and is that a red bill I see!???? SH*T, AUDOUIN'S GULL!!!!!!! I ring Gav and Phil (this is when the shakes set in!!!!) - then the blighter vanishes into the flock!!!! Clock ticks by, no further sign, but it is in there - then finally (after I've moved position) it gives itself up!

Glad nearly all the patchers saw it, and am even gladder that it is still in the area after tonights sighting!!!

Time for bed!!!!!

Last edited:
Totaly agree with everything that Gav has said,brilliant find steve,our first mega.just one more stat to add to gavs list, The Audouins was Steves 14th gull find(species) on the patch this year,and its still only august that must be some sort of national record.

The Audouins was Steves 14th gull find(species) on the patch this year,and its still only august that must be some sort of national record.

Nice stat Phil! If only a Glauc had played ball....there's always Nov/Dec I suppose!!!!! Gav and Phil deserve heaps of praise too.....Gav stood and watched a flock of Gulls for ages before any red bills popped up while I ferried people about (mother!!!!). And Phil had it covered from other angles too.....great team work.

This morning, went seawatching, I did 06:20 - 07:50 from the Spot On (with birders walking around all over the place!!!!). Apart from Gannets it was a tad slow....well that was until the Bonxies started moving!!!! An amazing eight in all; at 07:05 a single, then a flock of three, then another single came through, and in the next 20 mins or so another 3 singles passed by (all west). That's got to be a local record (Karen had 2 more at about 8 too). A single Arctic Tern west was a bit of a scarcity, but otherwise noted just 4 Kits and a couple of Sandwich Terns. I also noticed a few waders moving over the sea - most heading for the beach, so I went for a walk (with Karen) along the shore and we managed at least 18 Ringed Plover, 9 Dunlin and a gorgeous Sanderling, plus a Wheatear. A juv Yellow-legged Gull on the beach was a nice bonus too.

Last edited:
Well, what an evening! After news of a brief possible sighting flying down river near 8pm, our hopes were raised - briefly. As the light began to fade we gave it up and went looking for Seaton Tescos! We saw the wareshouse type buildings and pulled in to see if the store was near by. Ah, gulls on the roof - casual scan. F**K - the bird stood out like a sore thumb! Much madness ensued which involved me getting hit, slapped, kicked and hugged by the guy I was with (who wishes to remain nameless!) What a brilliant bird, and such a relief the night in the car plan A was put to rest! Unfortunately the bird took flight just as other birders arrived on site - tho it seemed to be part of the roost gathering, i'm amazed it's not still about...a big well done once again to the Seaton birders, especially Steve, for yet more sterling work!

Pic below...

Cheers

D

Attachments

• DSCN5000_webedit.jpg
    DSCN5000_webedit.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Wow! Cheers for that Dan! It just proves, never give up - well done!!! It probably is still here, it is just where it was between 14:00 and 20:00 yesterday.....somewhere!!!!

Wow! Cheers for that Dan! It just proves, never give up - well done!!! It probably is still here, it is just where it was between 14:00 and 20:00 yesterday.....somewhere!!!!

Colyford Common or nearby? One thing we did notice is even at the highest tide gulls still continued to come down river from further up the valley, and this is where the bird was possibly seen to fly from at c8pm....

ps - Steve, just tried to PM you, inbox is full with all those congratulations messages!

Last edited:
This afternoon I reckon I may have found where it was hiding yesterday! Between Musbury and Boshill Cross/A3052 - there's a flooded field FULL of birds! Mostly Gulls, hundreds and hundreds of them, including 1 juv Yellow-legged, also saw 7 Blackwits and a Teal. Be worth keeping an eye on this place over the next week or so while it's still got water in it.....

Inbox now cleared thanks Dan.

Edit: Dan has just directed me to another picture of our red-billed Herring Gull..... http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/Real...pecies.asp?galleryid=2247&page=1&sort=4&pos=1&

Last edited:
...Gav stood and watched a flock of Gulls for ages before any red bills popped up while I ferried people about...

I was EXTREMELY well motivated!
a) I wanted to see it properly. Very Much Indeed. It was going to be a very unexpected addition to ALL the lists in my 'Spotters List Book'.
b) Just as persuasive - I was very conscious of the stick I would get if it was ever discovered that, while I had been supposed to keep my eye glued to the spot where an elusive mega had just hidden itself, I had whiled away the boring minutes playing 'skittles' on the phone.
"Hey, the field's empty! Where did all the gulls go Gav?"
"Er....."
Not good.

A smattering of birding for me this morning. I didn't see anything that wasn't covered by someone else, but have to mention a cracking juv Yellow-legged Gull that hung in the air off the thatched shelter with a juv Herring and juv LBB Gull before moving off W - very instructive. Also the Sanderling was very smart - it eventually flew N with 6 other small waders (all Dunlin, I think) away over the town.

Finally, very nice of Dan to enhance the thread with his Audouin's shot. :t:

In post #1 I wrote this (in reference to the fact that 2005 had produced a nice list of birds):

Gavin Haig said:
...it made me wonder whether a patch report might make interesting reading 'cos there were certainly some exciting highlights, and I'm hoping there'll be some more......

I would say there have been! Must keep hoping....|=)|

Last edited:
This afternoon I reckon I may have found where it was hiding yesterday! Between Musbury and Boshill Cross/A3052 - there's a flooded field FULL of birds! Be worth keeping an eye on this place over the next week or so while it's still got water in it.....

If we don't value our lives that is, Steve.

I went there to have a good look through the gulls and to look for any nice waders and I have to say, it was perhaps the most dangerous birding I've ever done, especially getting out of the gateway that I parked in, on a blind bend!! I almost got hit by a speeding ambulance, which would have been a very ironic end indeed!!!

The 7 Blackwits here were very nice to see and I too could only pick out 1 probable juv.Yellow-legged Gull from the hundreds there. Later this afternoon I took a stroll down the Axe to the north of Lower Cownhayne Farm to see if I could get a safer view of the field from the other side of the river. I certainly got much nearer but the undulating lie of the land meant that much of the big scrape area was out of view. There was a field just to north of this one with hundreds more gulls in it, there must have been over a thousand in total!!

A nice surprise though was a Green Sandpiper which I flushed from a small scrape. I could also hear one or more calling periodically. There were also two set aside fields which appeared to contain about 80% rape seed. These were absolutely heaving with finches, I counted a least 200 flying around. I hope they keep them like this all winter.

Highlight of my day were the two Great Skuas I saw this morning, nice and close and flying slowly into a strong headwind giving great views (only ever seen a very distant one before these). What superb birds they are!! Also the Sanderling was simply gorgeous! |=)|

One or two recent posts have implied that Audouin's Gull had been predicted as a Backwater possibility. I couldn't recall any such foolishness. So, puzzled, I just did a search. The result was a bit of a surprise (from 16th May)!
...still quite a few bits and bobs crossing the Channel. Talking of which - I hear there's an Audouin's Gull trying to find the Axe. Now that WOULD be an OTT way to notch up our 15th gull sp. for the year!

And it was!

On the river this evening were 3 Whimbrel, 14 Black-tailed Godwits (13 together and a single), 12 Ringed Plover, 5 Common Sands and 2 Dunlin. That'll be some wader passage then. Talking of which - I hear there's a Spoon-billed Sandpiper trying to find the Axe....

No harm trying. |=)|

EDIT - even more bizarre! Try this (posts 15, 19 and 20): http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=895174&highlight=backwater#post895174

Last edited:
Hi forum,

Well done Steve on the Audouins Gull.
As the patch is on a good role at the moment, we've already mentioned ths sighting to two fellow birders earlier this year of probably our best spot since the Hen Harrier. We took this picture on the 8th of May when it was blowing a gale and pouring with rain at the farm gate. It is the smallest bird we have seen on the estury. Noticed it's yellow rump when it flew up, a miracle spot and a miracle picture under the conditions provided.

Garden unusually quiet, mind you I did come in at 8:30 which in turn is unusual for me. There are lots of owls calling in the evenings though. ie. Tawny, Little and Barn owls. We must try and stay up later to find out if there are any Long-eared owls around, we suspect there are.

Happy birding.
Simon and Sue

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 158
This afternoon I reckon I may have found where it was hiding yesterday! Between Musbury and Boshill Cross/A3052 - there's a flooded field FULL of birds!
Mostly Gulls, hundreds and hundreds of them, including 1 juv Yellow-legged, also saw 7 Blackwits and a Teal. Be worth keeping an eye on this place over the next week or so while it's still got water in it.....

Inbox now cleared thanks Dan.

Edit: Dan has just directed me to another picture of our red-billed Herring Gull..... http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/Real...pecies.asp?galleryid=2247&page=1&sort=4&pos=1&

Steve,
Julian T had scanned the gulls in this flooded field mid afternoon with no joy. Andy Grinter, Sarah Beavis & myself gave it another grilling at around 18:00, there was alarge flock also on the east side of the flooded Axe between Whitford Bridge & Kilmington (near Whooper site).....we will never know where it was hiding!

Seems the gull may have moved on, shame it was so short lived - at least it means i'll sell more pics now!! Steve if you PM me your email address i'll send you a copy of the pic if you want, just to stick with all the other stuff i'm sure you've collated on it, or to add to your submission to the county recorder.

Cheers

D

Spent a few pre work hours at Beer Head this morning ( shame i didn't have more time) not great numbers of birds around but a good selection, main highlights being Dartford warbler (adult), whinchat, and 2 buzzing Tree pipits, that flew west, also lesser whitethroat, 12 wheatear, 2 whitethroat, 10 stonechat, also a few willow warblers around, and a Great spotted Woodpecker at the summit........also nice to see the farmer has cut the grass down on the common ready for the yellow wags & Cream coloured courser ( well if it works for Gav it might work for me...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back