• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (3 Viewers)

The Whitefronts are back - opposite Colyford sewage works first thing, late afternoon at Colyford Common. Only 14 though - one of the 1w birds is missing (5 now).

As I walked down the track at Colyford this afternoon all the Wigeon suddenly appeared in the air....quite a sight. Counting in 50s, then 100s, reckoned at least 800, but probably 1000+. So what put them up, I wondered? Bang! Bang! Ahhh.......sporting gentlemen. Arriving at the viewing platform I was surprised to see the Whitefronts on the deck still, though looking rather alert. Eventually they cracked and took off S (the shooters were N) Keep going, I thought........but no, they wheeled round and, in a straight line, flew straight over the guns. A volley of shots followed, a bit of bobbing and weaving from the geese, but they carried on unscathed.
Maybe that's why there are 14 now? What is the point? Emptying the marsh of every bird and then mooching about hoping some idiot, short-sighted bird flies over so you can litter the countryside with bits of lead.........

Despite the geese and a Wigeon or two coming within range I never saw them actually hit anything.........what a waste of time........

The sooner this land is a reserve, the better............

Elsewhere, 2 adult Meds and a Barwit on the estuary early morning, and the Velvet Scoter still off Axmouth with 48 Commons this evening. It was distant (well to the E) and not easy, despite quite calm conditions. It does sit up and flap, by the way, so don't despair if you try for it, but are struggling to pick it out on size and head shape alone.........

Had very little time today, but whilst running an errand stumbled accross a flock of 200 Golden Plover just NW of the Three Horseshoes on the A3052, which was rather excellent.........

Otherwise, only had time to see that the Whitefronts are now down to 11, and there was a nice adult Med Gull on the estuary late afternoon. No urgent texts, so presumably fairly quiet today...........

Several degrees milder today, but birding not hotting up - suspect we may be entering the February doldrums. We'll see........

11 Whitefronts still on offer (3x1w birds amongst them) but, in a rather swift tour late afternoon, not much else. 14 Common Scoter and a Red-throated Diver off Beer; an adult Med plus 2 Bar-tailed and 22 Black-tailed Godwits on the estuary; 25 Shoveler and a drake Gadwall at Seaton Marshes.

Andrew said:
....Will let you know if we find any Spec Eiders off Axmouth! ;)
Tried checking the Axmouth Scoters from a different spot this afternoon - the clifftop E of the golf course. This worked a treat in the choppy conditions. 79 Commons, the imm. male Velvet and, although no Spectacled Eider today, a female of the common or garden variety.

On the estuary, last thing, were 23 Black-tailed and 2 Bar-tailed Godwits. Reported earlier on the river: 3 Jack Snipe, the Ruff and 3 Med Gulls. Plus the 11 Whitefronts still opposite Coyford sewage works.

Struggling to add to the year list at the moment........

Your patch served us well today.

Good to meet you again. See you soon when you have found the Spec or the Pine Bunting!

Thanks for your help in guiding me to the Velvet Gavin! You'll have to show me the short cut to the cliff view point next time to avoid a potential heart attack by scrambling up that steep golf couse! :eek!:

After a wet and windy night managed a half hour seawatch, hoping for a fly-past year tick (R-b Merg for example)....nothing wrong with hope. 48 Kittiwakes W was pretty good, and I suspect the previous half hour would have produced alot more (plus Merg, L-t Duck, Little Auk etc............) Also a few Gannets and auks, but nowt else.

The 11 Whitefronts still at Colyford, back and forth between the marsh and the sewage farm field. Little other inspiration though...........

Actually, not quite true - a Skylark in song over the marsh. Nice reminder that a new birding chapter will be opened soon.

Last edited:
Work was rained off mid-afternoon, so checked out the Axmouth Scoter flock. Still 1 imm. male Velvet, and a female Eider, so no change there, but encouraging number of Commons again - 135. There were also 15 at Beer, plus a Red-throated Diver. A nice surprise was a string of 6 Pintail (2 drakes) flying W at Beer at 17:00. There was also a Med Gull on the estuary, and 2 at the Seaton Hole roost, all adults.

Highlight of the afternoon, though, was a mammal - a bull Grey Seal close in off Axe Cliff, devouring a pretty big fish. Couldn't ID the meal - large (prob 5lbs plus), pale, looked a bit pinkish, thick-wristed tail, which was unforked (like a Bass?) - any ideas anyone? Not too hot on dead, partially consumed sea fish I'm afraid.

Had a quick look for the Whitefronts at their 2 favourite haunts at Colyford - no sign. At Colyford Common I was dismayed to see construction has begun on the long-threatened (oops, I mean long-promised) hide. I really am not a fan of hide birding. There was a nice little open viewing platform where the hide will now be - much more pleasant......in my opinion, anyway. Ah well, one man's meat etc.........

White-fronts found again this morning Gavin.

There is a good feeling standing on the viewing platform in a slight chilly breeze and scanning all the way round without the restriction of having to move to check through window panes that other people are already using. I can see your point.

You were right about the best spot to view the Scoters, the Velvet was seen from the path past the golf course this afternoon. A single Lesser Black-backed Gull on the estuary was the first in Devon this year for me as well, possibly a migrant.
We drove up the steep hill to the golf course car park, saw the clamping sign and then drove down again!!!. Roger

Andrew said:
White-fronts found again this morning Gavin.

There is a good feeling standing on the viewing platform in a slight chilly breeze and scanning all the way round without the restriction of having to move to check through window panes that other people are already using. I can see your point.
I had a quick look for them early, but didn't see them - I guess they have a 'quiet' spot somewhere......

Hides......hmmm.....I can see their need if birds are close and would be spooked, eg. scrapes of the Minsmere/Cley variety, but otherwise? Well, they're just shelters in bad weather. Actually, as I'm getting older perhaps that's not so bad!

Roger - if you go again, try parking up the back of Axmouth (grid ref 266903). It will save you the punishing hill!! It's a favourite dog walkers' spot though, so watch out for land mines.

Heard of nothing new today, but had texts to say the 2 Hawfinches are still in Colyton, and there was a GN Diver off Seaton Hole.

Roger - if you go again, try parking up the back of Axmouth (grid ref 266903). It will save you the punishing hill!! It's a favourite dog walkers' spot though, so watch out for land mines.

Thanks for that Gavin. I gathered that you knew a short cut to avoid that hill but I was not driving today so did not have my OS map and it was getting a bit late anyway.
Weather forecast was a bit out today, it was a frosty and dry morning when we left Tiverton but the rain started as we went up Haldon Hill enroute to Yarner Wood and did not stop until mid afternoon. Roger

Bit more water around the valley today, but little change on the bird front....

The Velvet Scoter still with Commons (130) off Axe Cliff. An adult Med Gull was with Black-headeds in a partially flooded field at Boshill Cross (Steve had 3 Meds today). 2 Barwits and 7 ad LBB Gulls were on the estuary late pm.

Had a look at the part-built hide at Colyford Common just before dusk. Solid construction - very nice it'll be, I reckon - but, for me, utterly superfluous........

Standing on the viewing platform on a late summer's evening, with the dregs of the sun warming the back of your legs, soaking up the peaceful ambience of the marsh, hoping an Osprey would kindly glide past........ I cannot see that sitting in a wooden box, peering through a slot, is going to be an improvement on that experience. But then, I know some will disagree - so I guess they can have their hide, and I will have my quiet moan.

Last edited:
Andrew said:
All they needed was the solid base they have put down. ;)

In 20 or so years time you young lads may be glad to rest your weary legs after that long walk from the car!!!. Incidently Gavin, do you walk to Colyford or drive?. I just wondered if you did drive where you parked your car, I had a row with a guy who drove a Morgan sportscar last year about parking. Roger

Roger, I park very close to the stone wall or hedge on the opposite side of the road to the entrance gate. Never had a complaint (touch wood). I once parked further up a bit next to a wooden gate and a woman who rides ponies had a go at me so I avoid that bit.

devon.birder said:
In 20 or so years time you young lads may be glad to rest your weary legs after that long walk from the car!!!. Incidently Gavin, do you walk to Colyford or drive?. I just wondered if you did drive where you parked your car, I had a row with a guy who drove a Morgan sportscar last year about parking. Roger
I park pretty much where Andrew described, which will be ok unless there's a bit of a twitch. Then it'll have to be up in the village.......

devon.birder said:
...you young lads...
Like it! (assuming I am included?)

It certainly wasn't me you had a row with - I only use the Morgan for driving the grandchildren to school........ ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back