• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backwater Birding - Seaton, Devon (1 Viewer)

hello birders,
Weve found the Solitary Sand, And a wonderful bird.
If any of our Fellow Birders, are not sure where black Hole marsh is heres some Help, Take the Colyford road passed seaton Football ground,
when you see the cementry on your right, the Metal gate is just to the right
walk down the pathway & your there,
It was still here a 6 o clock today, we Hope this info helps,
Happy Birding
S&S
And a pic is there 2;)

Attachments

• 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi Sue & Simon,
Birders are being directed to Black Hole Marsh via Colyford Common....see directions below.....& must not use the Cemetery route!!

The bird is on Black Hole Marsh, Seaton.

Enter Colyford Common from Colyford Road at SY249922. Walk down track then through gate on to marsh. Follow white topped posts south, over bridge, past the Stafford Marsh pools, and on to Black Hole Marsh. The bird was in the south west corner of the marsh at SY249916. Best viewed from main track.

Cheers

There was no sign of the Solitary Sandpiper at Black Hole Marsh between 07:45 and 10:30 this morning - it may have gone.

There was still plenty of activity though, with highlights being 3 Green Sandpipers, 2 Curlew Sandpipers, a Little Stint, a Ruff and 2 Kingfishers (but no Barn Owl).

If you are still tempted to visit, the best place to park is at Colyford Memorial Hall (EX24 6QJ) and follow the White signs for Black Hole Marsh (down Popes Lane).

hello birders
Sue & I always try to support the Back water Forum,
Its a Birding first, a chiff chaff, Pure White With a short Stubby Bill,

Hi Simon and Sue

Red-breasted Flycatchers aren't pure white, neither is the bird is your photo. That's because it's an over-exposed Chiffchaff. Bill length is not a key feature when seperating the two species.

Hello birders,
Thanks to dave for his comments, Parking is a nightmare we were only hoping to help our Fellow birders find, Black hole Marsh, there is a sign there telling birders where to park,Weve now got Bollards at the entrance to coly common,
Sue & I were at the farm gate at 12oclock, not many Birders lined up, has are wonderful Visitor, left us?
Sue & I hope you all Enjoy our pics, Taken on Friday,
1 Wonderful Looking rather Dumpy,
2 On Reflection, a Cracking Wader,;)
S&S

Attachments

• 130.JPG
    130.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
hello all
Our feeding Station is coming alive, No siskins yet there late this Year,
with 5 of the Paridae family here,
4 jays, 3 G Spots, A Green in our apple trees, The Wonderful Barn flew through our garden Lights 8.15, Winter Thursh Movement, not great numbers
All West,
Hope you enjoy our Pic Remarkable, our Locals our Wonderful,
S&S,

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Hello Birders,
A Massive flock of Feild Fares here at 5oclock, To high and Faraway for our Camera, a great sight.
Also 4 Swallows, must be one of our last sightings of the year,
We always try to post a pic, Hope you Enjoy Sues effort,
S&S

Attachments

• 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    277.9 KB · Views: 93
Hello birders
Our garden is Showing Signs of a, wonderful Winters Birding.
Heres 2 pics, we hope you enjoy, cant Wait for the Action to Start,
1 here they come,
2 A pherhaps A Local Forum first in flight,
Happy Birding, We will Support the Forum.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
A visitor's tale

Just had a rare and brief but wonderful visit to the Backwater. Hooked up with very old birding pal Gavin Haig, who was as entertaining as ever, despite showing signs of sinking to worrying depths of maturity:eek!:, which included almost imperceptible reactions to unsolicited mentions of any freshly dipped nearctic scolopacids that happen to have popped up locally lately.

Hot drinks and banter at Gav and Sandra's had to eventually give way to some birding, as it was such a nice day. Nicky and I had expected to perhaps be attempting to boot out little brown things from bushes on bushy Beer Head, or looking for bigger things wading around in local wet bits, but no. When it was time to leave, Gav said" How do you fancy helping me try and find a Lapland Bunting?". This was perfect, as I've been actually quite embarrassed about not having seen one this autumn, as there have apparently been several blllion in every UK shopping mall. Gav was pretty excited too, as prior to the one or two birds that have just been found on the high fields above Axemouth, the only Backwater Birding area record was of one unseen flyover a couple of years back. This made it, at this point, a rarer patch bird than all this Solitary Sandpiper dross and nonsense that had by now been seen by almost everyone. Oops, there I go again.

So the last thing Nicky and I expected was to spend the afternoon stomping about in stubble fields on cliff tops. On arrival on site, crippling views of locals Karen and Bun were quickly obtained, including vocalisations, though neither were particularly happy, as they'd failed to score, and were about to give up and head off. Bun wasn't even very well, poor chap, but had still given it a go.

So Sandra , Nicky, Gav and me weren't too hopeful as we stubblestomped and stubblestomped, but eventually, after bothering a bunch of Skylarks
and 3 Meadow Pipits, and clocking a few flyover Yammers a (the?) Lapland Bunting decided to randomly flyover our field. Luckily for us, this is a species blessed while in flight with avian verbal diarrhoea, rendering the bouncing little dot readily identifiable, even if it was only to watch it drop out of view a couple of fields away.

We persued it, of course, and after we gave up looking, it decided once more that we hadn't heard enough of what it had to say, which perhaps unsurprisingly was "tid-tip-tid-tip-tit.....Chu". This time it flew right over us, and landed in the next field. We started towards it, but then remembered that the right thing to do, now that we had it pinned down, was to phone potentially interested local birders, and 20 mins or so later Karen and Bun reappeared for the "organised flush". Karen cleverly pointed out that if we circled the bird from seawards, and formed a line perpendicular to our current one, then we'd be looking up the lines in the stubble, and would stand a greater chance of seeing it on the deck. Amazingly this worked, and against all odds we spotted the little beauty scurrying mouselike on the deck before flushing it. This resulted in prolonged close mega views, and some great photos on Gavin Haig's blog, and some worse photos on here (below) with Nicky's camera. We were all very happy. I love that Lapland Bunting.

We then went on to see the Whooper Swan, that's been knocking about with Mute Swans in a field between the Axe and the road down to Seaton. A fine end to a great day's birding on a local patch that I wish was mine.

This may bit a bit verbose for what, let's face it, is just a Lapland Bunting, but blimey, not so many people are posting on this thread of late.

So, fish and chips, and parking up over night in the van on the Seaton seafront, and a morning's birding before deparure. A stop at very high tide at Coronation corner produced comparatively few birds, but a fair few more Black-tailed Godwits than we'd have seen if we'd stayed in Bristol. Colyford Common produced great scope views in perfect light of a Kingfisher, a couple of flyover Green Sandpipers, and a flyover Brambling. I was also dead chuffed to perhaps outdo our Gav by not only dipping the Solitary Sand, but dipping good views of the entire scrape that it was seen on. The hide was closed.

What a brilliant birding area, with a great birding community. Here's some pics:

1. Lapland Bunting
2. A man out standing in his field
3. Some weird duck seen down the road this afternoon

Attachments

• lapland.jpg
    lapland.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 81
  • field.jpg
    field.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 94
  • hooded merg.jpg
    hooded merg.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Hello Birders
A nice report Larry, sounds like you had a Great Visit.
Our Amazing Brambling, on the 6th of Sept, is a sign of a cold Winter, so its reported, a early Snow Bunting reported by, Jhonny Kingdom is another Sign.
We have evidence, a local has Proved this could be true,;)
A terrible pic taken in a Dark corner, we think its Brilliant,
Pic 1
Pic 2 Always Welcome;
Happy birding
S&S

Attachments

• 140.JPG
    140.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Just had a rare and brief but wonderful visit to the Backwater.

Very glad you did!

Great write-up. Never thought of Lapland Bunting as a chatterbox before, but you're right, it is! Don't leave it 3 years until your next close views of the Backwater...

PS. That bloke in the field bears a striking resemblance to many of the Scilly codgers - shuffling, stooped, getting in front of everyone, and way too close to the birds. Dodgy old goat. ;)

Hello Birders,
Today is the Day of the Winter Thrush, loads over,
Ive Never seen so many Bullfinches 40+ over in One Hour,
Theres so much going on in Whitford, Nice to see Gav posting, if it was only a follow up,
Sues & I, pic of the day can you name this local,
Happy Birding
S&S

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hello Birders,
The garden is wonderful, Our tit flock is growing there still finding our new feeding Station, as the berries & seed get scare Like us all we should find more birds on our feeders.
Sue & I, are worried about the Green Finches, We Havent seen one for Ages.
On a happier Note, Weve had a Rare Bird here, The Whitford treecreeper,
Pic 1
Pic2
A welcome visitor,
happy birding
S&S

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    286.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 73
Evening All
Sue & i have a rare bird flying over, seen 3 times no pic as yet,
Heres 2 Whitford birds in flight,
1 Our marsh, as never seen Before.
2 No luck, to much protection,
Happy birding
S&S

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 85
Hello birders'
Steve asked us to Name our Rare Visitor,
Were both hoping to Gain a Pic for you to Enjoy, perhaps Soon,
Its a Massive Female Goshawk, as we Have seen it 3 times in the Mornings,
Seen here before, but not on such a regular basis & time,
Heres some Pics, we hope you enjoy them, perhaps Gos Soon.
Happy Birding, We forgot you can name them;)
S&S

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hello Birders
Loads of winter Thurshes here Am, Flying at high speed, they could have stopped for our Apples, they will Soon. Will we see Waxwings this Year on Patch, We All Hope so.
All the Local Gang on our feeders,
Happy Birding
S&S

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 56
Hello Birders,
Thanks as always for the Local News letter,
Were Both sorry to hear about the Barn Owl, Sue & I can Bring Good News,
our Local Barn was calling well tonight,
We had A Badger in our garden, we think looking for this Birds favourite food,
always seen upside down on our feeders,;)
Happy Birding
S&S

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back