• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltic trip in February (1 Viewer)

Trystan

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find anything much of use with regard to traveling to this area in winter. Trip reports are all April and May.

I have a plan to rent a car and visit all three countries with most time spent in Estonia heading out to Saaremaa. What I have read though is that the Steller's eider numbers seem to be less and less each year, so firstly, does anyone know what the situation is at present for this number one target for the trip?

Beyond this, I'm interested in catching up with Hazel grouse, Pygmy owl, Tengmalm's owl and if available, Hawk owl. I also read that Great grey owl is expanding range so I don't know if there is a chance of this species anywhere either.

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone with experience or recent information or directions to help plan an itinerary with the best chance of success.

I'm happy to consider using local guides to improve chances if needed. I was in touch with Kaarel from this forum a couple of years ago but I couldn't make it that year and then had travel curtailed in recent times and he doesn't seem to be active here anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Trystan
I am planning a very similar trip in March, Saarema is my main goal.
Have you got any advices from local birdirs or maybe you have already been there?
Thanks
Tomek

It's very easy to fly to Rovaniemi in northern Finland (cheap direct flights from Gatwick until late March) and drive up to Varanger, with large flocks of all 3 eiders, spectacular seabird cliffs with Brunnich's Guillemots and Gyr Falcon on Hornoya, and very good chance of roadside Hawk Owl. Point blank views of Siberian Tit and Jay and Pine Grosbeak at Neljän Tuulen Tupa cafe guaranteed en route.
Head back down to Kuusamo in Finland, with a good chance of owls, woodpeckers, Hazel Hen, Capercaillie, Arctic Redpoll and Parrot Crossbill if you put in the effort.
You can do this relatively inexpensively, especially if you doss in the car, in 4-5 days.
I appreciate there are other reasons to visit the Baltic states, but from the perspective of seeing the above, a Lapland trip in March is a fantastic experience.

I appreciate there are other reasons to visit the Baltic states, but from the perspective of seeing the above, a Lapland trip in March is a fantastic experience.
From someone who lives in the Baltic States, I wholeheartedly agree with DMW ...a March trip to Lapland will totally trump the offerings in the Baltic States :)

With the obvious absence of Seller's Eider, I'd recommend anybody thinking about the Baltics to visit in late April or May ...then they truly are stunning.

Hi Trystan
I am planning a very similar trip in March, Saarema is my main goal.
Have you got any advices from local birdirs or maybe you have already been there?
Thanks
Tomek
Hi Tomek,

Only just saw your post, I had a flock of about 15 Steller's eider approximately by the red X below, parking up and viewing from by the little harbour. There are details of the trip as a whole on my 2022 year list in the appropriate section of Birdforum.

1646477776845.png

Ooooh.... you're getting slow Jos.

Notice I didn't use the 'o' word;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back