• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bartley reservoir (3 Viewers)

In mid-October there was a flock of house sparrows plus 2 tree sparrows,reed bunting and yellowhammer feeding on a stubble field adjacent to the reservoir on the Frankley Lane side. Just when it looked things might be getting interesting the inevitable happened ; the farmer ploughed the field right up to the fence covering up the food source so no more sparrows. They might have moved into nearby gardens but as yet the flock has n't been refound.
A brief walk along the dam today brought a common sandpiper,7 pied wags and 1 grey.

Yes I was told Jim had the whinchat, gropper and wheatear.
It's been a hard slog trying to find any migrants. Today I did see a lesser whitethroat briefly along the reservoir boundary fence. It had been singing from cover intermittently in the brisk wind and showed after 25 minutes . A common sand was on the shoreline but it might still be the one wintering.

Good this Spring & Summer to hear (or see) Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler (that took a few visits), Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting.
I saw my first West Midlands Red Kite by Frankley Res mobbed by Yellow Hammers.
(Hello Paul if you read this)

Early Saturday on the West Midlands All Dayer reports of 2 Kingfishers at the res.
Kate got a good photo of one; a young juvenile.
Meanwhile I was on the Rea at the fledgling Kingfisher nest (no. 2).
I later joined the all dayer & bumped into Paul & then Geoff.
I found a surprise Sparrowhawk in a stream I didn't know existed in Frankley woods lol.
Later by the res, I had completely forgotten about res Kingfishers.
Next thing what flew past, yes a Kingfisher. Lol. My first at the res.
I could hardly believe my eyes lol.
I told Kate who was surprised it was still there.
Anyway later Kate was out checking the res. What did she see again lol. Yes a Kingfisher. Great!

Common Sandpiper along the western shoreline viewed from the Dam this Morning (5th). Flushed by a pair of Magpies before settling in the vicinity of the picnic area. I've had a couple of wintering birds here in the past, so this could be doing the same. Little else besides the Waxwing's at Cornfield Drive.DSC_7974 web.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back