• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baya Weaver in Bangkok yesterday (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I ID this bird as an Baya Weaver. Honestly, I have no clue but the reason is the picture in my book นกเมืองไทย Birds of Thailand.

Baya and Asian Golden looks the same, but my weaver have a light coloured cheek and the bill looks to be in the same colour. In my book the Asian Golden have a light under bill and the top of the bill is dark. And the cheek is also darker.

Anyone know if I am correct in my ID of the bird?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 2174.jpg
    2174.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2175.jpg
    2175.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2176.jpg
    2176.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 5
Differences are subtle at best, but this looks like an Asian Golden Weaver IMO. Note in paricular, heavy conical bill shape, the steeply curved culmen (top edge of the bill) is continuous with curvature of the crown, best illustrated in your last image. Baya has a longer, slightly slimmer. more pointed bill, the culmen less steeply curved. Plumagewise, face and underparts uniformly warm, lacking a paler submoustachial, paler throat and signs of indistinct mottling/streaking to breast and/or flanks.

ML529366451 - Asian Golden Weaver - Macaulay Library

Grahame

Thank you!

And I learned a very important lesson as I have plenty weavers in the area. You are correct about the bill, very easy to see the difference in the book. But I was just looking at the colour. And I think the bill shape will be the easiest way to ID the bird, at least until I get a chance to get a "LIVE" practice.

This was highly appreciated! Sometimes the females drive me crazy, the males are easy enough.

Cheers!
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back