• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beaver zoos (2 Viewers)

Farnboro John

Another new Beaver zoo being reported today as a release, in Northumberland. These are no more releases than Bison in Kent: not only that but these particular Beavers have been taken from the wild in Scotland to be imprisoned in England.

Its time the media stopped or was prevented from misreporting enclosed animals as releases. They are as released as the Longleat Lions.

John

I fully agree John, though they were apparently from a zoo (see part of the article in today’s Grauniad below). It seems the verb release can now be used to mean transferred from a small enclosure to a large one:unsure::
The beavers, previously in a zoo, were released into a tributary of the River Wansbeck on the National Trust’s Wallington estate in Northumberland. It follows successful releases on Exmoor in 2020 and the South Downs in 2021.

Beavers were once a mainstay of British rivers but were hunted for their fur, meat and scent glands to extinction in the 16th century.

The Wallington beavers, in a 24-hectare fenced enclosure, become one of very few beaver populations in northern England, and everyone expects them instinctively to begin engineering and improving the landscape.

Well I'm sick of it. They are doing very well on the Otter and in Scotland although there are fools who can't see the wood for the trees in both places. There's no need for fences except for those who are hoping, as the Guardian says, to provide "managed access" - i.e. pay per view. There's also no reason to confine the benefits to tiny enclosures when they should be doing their thing along entire river systems - except to manage viewing so as to achieve income directly.

Utter capitalist cock. And media connivance with lies about "releases". It seems impossible to achieve honest reporting in this country, unless of course we are supposed to believe the journos are in fact as stupid as they must be to believe what they are told. National Trust - National Distrust more like.

John

Someone's a pessimist. I get what you mean, but at least they aren't sitting around doing nothing.
They are pretending to do something - for gain - which is worse, but typical. If they really wanted benefits to river systems in Northumberland the only way to get them is to actually release Beavers into the river systems to make their own decisions about where to set up shop. Perhaps some BFer who is a member of the National Trust will ask the question of them and report back.

John

John, from other posts, seems to be rather sceptic about everything. However, firmly believing that everything you see online, or shouted by people with authority is a lie, is surprisingly effective.

When I first detected Beavers at Loch of the Lowes, the staff denied they were there. I could see the tooth marks on stumps and twigs and the channels being dug into the woods to transport timber. I know people who heard them continuing that denial when one was bang in front of one of the hides. It was nonsense but it was what the organisation had told them to say. Now Loch of the Lowes celebrates Scottish Beavers (as I'm sure we all do) - who knows if they are more sincere or honest now than they were then? One should always assess and make one's own mind up, not just accept a policy line. Putting something in an enclosure is not a release and it shouldn't be reported as such. It's not a first step, its a denial of natural progress and perhaps even a quick win on water management (a national issue) in favour of a National Trust business opportunity.

John

Also a family being introduced to fenced enclosure in Northamptonshire

Mark
Afaik, beavers are very capable diggers and it is not cheap to sink a fence several feet underground to thwart escape tunneling.
Are these enclosures no more than just way stations, ensuring a 'soft release'?

Afaik, beavers are very capable diggers and it is not cheap to sink a fence several feet underground to thwart escape tunneling.
Are these enclosures no more than just way stations, ensuring a 'soft release'?
No. You can tell from the managed access teaser the NT intends them to stay right where they have been put. However, hopefully the Beavers will escape. Such things are not unknown.

John

The Cheshire Wildlife Trust (I think) has a family.
The only plus point is that they are very cautious about public access and run very occasional unpublicised visits for Trust members.

The Cheshire Wildlife Trust (I think) has a family.
The only plus point is that they are very cautious about public access and run very occasional unpublicised visits for Trust members.
Just another zoo. The sooner Beavers are properly released everywhere instead of kept captive, the sooner the visitor pressure will be off the wild ones on the Otter. Responsible wildlife trusts should be releasing multiple families along significant watercourses instead of doing this stupid dog-in-manger "they're ours" stuff with one family in a cage. That only plays to the Tory over-heavy management and "control" (= killing) narrative.

Let the Beavers loose!

John

Missing RIAT?

I agree that the fee paying commercial aspect of these penned releases is irritating, moreso when it's to "cover costs and management".
At RIAT yesterday, a few things cancelled by wind but a good show overall. Nearly all the rain missed to left and right (y)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back