• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Alpha Glass for Low Light? (1 Viewer)

ragin-cajun

United States
I’ve been reading many of your discussions. you guys sure know glass.

I’ve always had avg binocs but I figured I’ve worked long and hard enough that it’s time for a big upgrade.

Before I start testing I’d appreciate suggestions for an Alpha binocular in 42 that’s fantastic in low light dawn/dusk. Most of my viewing will be in stationary and close range within 150 yards. Thanks in advance!

Regarding your requirements, premium glass $$$, and low light wants/needs.
If you can take a look at a used Zeiss HT 8 or 10X42, there are a few around - , and Zeiss still maintains them. The predecessor of the HT, the FL is quite good for low light also.

First off, welcome to the birdforum. The low light differences between any of alpha 42's is going to be very slight. Having said that, low light comparison is something I've spent many hours doing.

In 42mm I previously owned the Victory SF, and Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42. At present I have the Victory HT, Victory FL 7x42, SLC-HD, and recently discontinued SLC WB. To my eye the absolute best is low light is 8x42 SLC WB. In fact, the two Swaro SLC's are the best I've ever looked through period, and that includes the NL Pure (which I've checked four different times at length in outdoor conditions).

It's personal preference, and many will prefer something else, but I can say without reservation that the SLC's are the only bin I've ever used where I did not ask myself if I would be able to see the subject better through something else.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi,

welcome here...:)

If your pupils are still at 6mm. open, the Swarovski Habicht 7x42 should be at the forefront thanks to the highest transmission.

The binoculars are just a porro, but unfortunately have a somewhat narrow field of view and you shouldn't be a eyeglasses user either.

Otherwise the 8x42 Zeiss HT or a FL or the suggested SLC.
The new Swarovski NL 8x42 is also very bright at dusk.
But it has to be said that the differences in brightness between the binoculars are not that big, at best marginal and noticeable in a direct comparison.
The glasses all have over 90% transmission, so they are close together.

Andreas

ill add I'm 53. i have 20/20 vision and do not wear glasses. i see like a hawk at long distance but i do use 2.0 reading glasses

My Zeiss Victory FL 8x56 !! I know you said 42's, but as you said your viewing is mostly static, don't be afraid to go BIG..... no compromise!!
7mm exit pupil and Abbe Koenig prisms.
I've never experienced anything quite like it for low light and crystal clear views.
Yes, if you can use the large exit pupil, the 56's are actually noticeably brighter than any 42's.

The Swarovski SLC 8x56 is also the brightest binoculars I know.
The Zeiss HT 8x54 is said to be just as bright and a bit more compact.

ill add I'm 53. i have 20/20 vision and do not wear glasses. i see like a hawk at long distance but i do use 2.0 reading glasses
With the 56s you would first have to see if your pupils are still widening enough, I'm 59 years old and it still works for me.
But the 56s are quite big and heavy, for a longer distance then simply too clumsy.

Andreas

The 7x42 habichts are nice and bright but I think maybe for just low light use a bigger field of view is useful, especially as you tend to have to look more for movement and with a slightly wider field of view you have more chance of seeing it.

Also just as a thought what level of priority you put on low light viewing does depend a bit on what latitude you bird in. Twilight's not going to last that long in the middle latitudes so are you going to get much use from a set of bins you may only notice the benifit of carrying for 10 minutes a day? Or are you at the more extreme latitudes where you may be using them for a few hours in winter?

It is my understanding that a lot (most?) of the perceived difference in brightness among alphas is due to skewing of the transmission curve in some binoculars. A boost in yellow-green color causes a perceived boost in contrast and brightness. The following is taken from greatestbinoculars.com and may be useful to you:

"The problem about colour rendering in binoculars is that the designers have a conflict here, especially when designing a glass for nature observation, not hunting. They need to decide between colour accuracy and a perceptual boost in contrast and brightness by skewing the transmission curve and introducing colour casts.
A green or yellowgreen cast increases the perception of both contrast and brightness. This "glow effect" can be really amazing, especially in low light. I saw it best in the Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 (green cast) and Swarovski SLC 8x42 (slight yellow-green cast) compared vs. the Leica 7x42 UVHD+ (yellow with a touch of red). For hunting glasses, this colour inaccuracy absolutely makes sense and they will be harder to sell without it. This "glow effect" probably in combination with high contrast of textures is what I wrongly called "high transmission sparkle" in 2015.
Zeiss has always been heavy handed with their green cast and unfortunately continue to do so in their SF line, which is advertised as being designed for nature observation, where colour accuracy should be important. I can´t force them to be more subtle, and they can´t force me to buy their stuff. Fair enough.
The SLC uses a well balanced slight yellowgreen cast to great effect, the contrast and especially the brightness boost are amazing. Well balanced because the predecessor seemingly had a stronger cast (see transmission curves on allbinos). Swarovski used to advertise the SLCs as "contrast optimized". I would avoid older Swarovski models, as most of them had a strong yellow green cast being contrast optimized for hunting.
I perceive the SLC as the brightest 8x42 with SP prisms. The disadvantage is that the image lacks in blue and red, whereas the Ultravids deliver full red. This is very noticeable in autumn landscapes. The Ultravids still have a bit of "glow effect" from their yellow cast compared to more neutral glasses (Swarovision, EDG). For my taste, this is the sweet spot of colour rendition and contrast in binoculars, and this autumn proved it again and again.
But compared to the SLC, the UVs seem to have a darker imagery, because the "glow effect" is reduced. With the SLC, I always think the image is even brighter than what I see with naked eyes, with the UV7x42HD+ or 8x32 I always feel it is a bit darker.
The Nikon EDG and Swaro SV are more neutral, neither cutting of a lot of blue nor red. This can be very beautiful, especially in brighter scenes, but in low light they lack any "glow effect". I have a rose with creamy pink flowers, it looks most gloriously natural viewed through the Nikon EDG, but it does not glow in twilight with the Nikon.
The Leica Noctivid in my view has introduced a bit more green compared to the Ultravids, giving it a stronger glow in lowlight at the expense of magical Leica reds. They could have pushed much harder, like the SLC, but colour accuracy was obviously more important. I can assure you that the SLC images look much brighter than the Noctivid in low light. The Noctivid is a very good compromise colourwise, but that can´t be fully appreciated due to other issues (flat field, diffuse flare)...
Interestingly, Swarovski tried something else with the NL Pure: Neutral colour with highest transmission. It will be interesting to see how this works out, but I bet against it. You can´t get a strong "glow effect" with neutral colour, and a small percentage of more brightness will be hardly noticeable.
I appreciate the SLC more in low light and blue light, as it is hands down the brightest glowing 8x42 available new and the very best 8x42 for hunting - the Zeiss Victory FL and HT are no longer produced. Very bad move from Swarovski."

The full article can be read here.

I would prefer a flat response and consequent absence of any ”tint”.

Sort of like the audio freaks who buy an expensive piece of equipment which is flat from 10 to 100,000 Hz, and then add an “equalizer“.

Before I start testing I’d appreciate suggestions for an Alpha binocular in 42 that’s fantastic in low light dawn/dusk. Most of my viewing will be in stationary and close range within 150 yards. Thanks in advance!
Modern alphas are all around 90% transmission so any visible differences will be subjective and may be due to slight colour tints. So it will come down to personal preferences eg ergonomics, eye relief etc.

42mm alphas:
Zeiss Victory T* FL 7x42 (8.6°)
Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42 (8°)
Swarovski Habicht 7x42 (6.4°)

50/56mm alphas:
Leica Ultravid HD+ 8x50 (6.7°)
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 (7.1°)
Swarovski SLC HD 8x56 (7.0°)

The brightest binoculars for low light I have ever tried are the Steiner Night Hunter(Shadow Quest) 8x56. They are brighter than any of the 8x56 alpha's including the FL and SLC. Being a porro they have 95% light transmission.

Last edited:
I recently bought a pair of old stock SLC 7x50 neu and they're exceptionally bright in low light, but my Habicht 10x40s with 96% transmission keep up with them until dusk in open countryside even with the smaller exit pupil.

The brightest binoculars for low light I have ever tried are the Steiner Night Hunter(Shadow Quest) 8x56. They are brighter than any of the 8x56 alpha's including the FL and SLC. Being a porro they have 95% light transmission.

I've heard the Steiners r fantastic in low light. however, their reviews are everywhere.

from what i'm reading here Swaro should start making the SLC 8x42s again....
in what years were the SLCs made?

Last edited:

Sadly they stopped making the 10x56, so now there really is only the Conquest HD 10x56 left.

I've heard the Steiners r fantastic in low light. however, their reviews are everywhere.
The NightHunter/ShadowQuest 8x56 was positively reviewed on Cloudy Nights, however that is in the context of astronomy. For birding they would probably be less than ideal due to individual focus (!!!) and weight (1.1kg).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back