• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Alpha Glass for Low Light? (2 Viewers)

I find the Habicht 7x42 interesting because of its imperfections. It makes no claim about being the perfect all around birding binocular, but what it does, it does superbly. It is the brightest binocular on the market, it has almost no glare, it is one of the lightest 42 mm binoculars on the market, it has superb on-axis resolution, fantastic DOF and a 3D view that an alpha roof can only dream about. I personally think you are going to see a reversal of the FOV war because birders are realizing a huge FOV creates other problems like glare. The new Zeiss SFL 8x40 is an example with its normal 8 degree FOV. I think Zeiss made a good decision, and I bet the SFL will handle glare and CA better than the SF or NL.
My SF 10x42 black edition has almost no glare also like your Habicht 7x42, even it has huge FOV. SF has superb resolution not only in the center but almost all the FOV. It is the sharpest binoculars in my comparation on resolution chart. For exemple beter resolution in the center than bigger bino like: Fujinon FMTR SX 10x50, Swaro SLC WB 10x50, Meopta Meostar B1.1 10x50, APM ED APO 10x50 or EL Swarovision 10x42. And no CA even it is a 10x.

Last edited:
My SF 10x42 black edition has almost no glare also like your Habicht 7x42, even it has huge FOV. SF has superb resolution not only in the center but almost all the FOV. It is the sharpest binoculars in my comparation on resolution chart. For exemple beter resolution in the center than bigger bino like: Fujinon FMTR SX 10x50, Swaro SLC WB 10x50, Meopta Meostar B1.1 10x50, APM ED APO 10x50 or EL Swarovision 10x42. And no CA even it is a 10x.
Sounds like a nice pair of 10s, but is 4mm good enough for really low light?

Of course it is not as good as a 6mm one(Habicht 7x42) in low light! But has excellent light transmision 93%-94% in the midle of the spectrum which is not a weakness. SF it is better optical balanced binoculars than Habicht for birding! I gave the SF example only in response to Denco's SF glare statement... SF, like Habicht 7x42, has no problems with glare even if it has larger FOV

Last edited:
The Habicht 7x42 kills the SF 10x42 in low light. It has a much bigger exit pupil at 6 mm versus 4 mm and 96% transmission versus 93%. Again, I never said the Habicht was the best birding binocular around, but it is better than the SF 10x42 in low light. That is what the thread is about, not which binocular is the best all around birding binocular.
Sure, a binoculars for low light must have the best possible light transmission and a larger exit pupil. But in order to be a good pair of binoculars not only a night binocular, several optical and mechanical qualities must be merge in this pair of binoculars. Many binoculars with 6mm exit pupil have more qualities. Habicht has clarity, brightness and three-dimensionality which, in my opinion, is the main advantage of porro binoculars versus roof in general. But this narrow "keyhole" AFOV of the Habicht spoil all the light transsmision magic. When we observe nature we are not in the laboratory of physics and measurements ... we benefit in our hands and in front of the eyepieces from a sum of mechanical and optical qualities and compromises, that result in a more or less pleasant experience, depending on everyone's preferences. For example ragin-cajun new SLC 8x56, in my opinion, it is a excellent pair of binoculars for low light conditions because has very well balanced qualities, not only the light transmission and the exit pupil.

offtopic
In my former post I did not propose SF for low light, but I only responded offtopic to your statements about it glare.
Allbinos tested the old gray version of SF not black version. In that test allbinos only did a visual inspection inside the binoculars where they saw a reflection around exit pupil, but they did not report glare in interior of FOV outside in nature. I did not notice any intrusive glare in my black version, it is practically immune to glare in real life conditions

Sure, a binoculars for low light must have the best possible light transmission and a larger exit pupil. But in order to be a good pair of binoculars not only a night binocular, several optical and mechanical qualities must be merge in this pair of binoculars. Many binoculars with 6mm exit pupil have more qualities. Habicht has clarity, brightness and three-dimensionality which, in my opinion, is the main advantage of porro binoculars versus roof in general. But this narrow "keyhole" AFOV of the Habicht spoil all the light transsmision magic. When we observe nature we are not in the laboratory of physics and measurements ... we benefit in our hands and in front of the eyepieces from a sum of mechanical and optical qualities and compromises, that result in a more or less pleasant experience, depending on everyone's preferences. For example ragin-cajun new SLC 8x56, in my opinion, it is a excellent pair of binoculars for low light conditions because has very well balanced qualities, not only the light transmission and the exit pupil.

offtopic
In my former post I did not propose SF for low light, but I only responded offtopic to your statements about it glare.
Allbinos tested the old gray version of SF not black version. In that test allbinos only did a visual inspection inside the binoculars where they saw a reflection around exit pupil, but they did not report glare in interior of FOV outside in nature. I did not notice any intrusive glare in my black version, it is practically immune to glare in real life conditions
Value for money as well as the rest of the assets I think gets missed some times. Been out round sunset with my (£425) 7x42's habichts for a couple or 3 hours tonight, there my main birding bin and do everything I ask as long as I can point them accurately and use 2 fingers on the focus wheel when it's needed- well a finger and a thumb strictly speaking.

I have to say I find Denco's admiration for Habicht 7x42 interesting. There are several reasons to like and appreciate a binocular and Denco has very good described the reasons to like and appreciate Habicht 7x42.

While I really like my NL 8x42 and (in opposite to Denco) find the positive things overweigh the negative things, I still would like to try out Habicht 7x42 and see if I would find it worth to add to my collection.

One reason is what Denco also pointed out, that it's the worlds brightest binocular for a person over 50 years. Like me.

When it comes to the performance in other issues like field of view and eye relief it lags helplessly behind, compared to modern models. But the price is not either much more than 1/3 of the price of the top alphas.

And Denco obviously is not alone to appreciate Habicht 7x42. The very fact that it's still manufactured and included in Swarovski's assortment shows that there is still an interest for the model. A product that does not sell will soon be discontinued.

I have to say I find Denco's admiration for Habicht 7x42 interesting. There are several reasons to like and appreciate a binocular and Denco has very good described the reasons to like and appreciate Habicht 7x42.

While I really like my NL 8x42 and (in opposite to Denco) find the positive things overweigh the negative things, I still would like to try out Habicht 7x42 and see if I would find it worth to add to my collection.

One reason is what Denco also pointed out, that it's the worlds brightest binocular for a person over 50 years. Like me.

When it comes to the performance in other issues like field of view and eye relief it lags helplessly behind, compared to modern models. But the price is not either much more than 1/3 of the price of the top alphas.

And Denco obviously is not alone to appreciate Habicht 7x42. The very fact that it's still manufactured and included in Swarovski's assortment shows that there is still an interest for the model. A product that does not sell will soon be discontinued.
As long as your eyes aren't dilating to 7 mm. Some people's eyes might dilate to 7 mm even when they are older. If your eyes are still dilating to 7 mm, the 8x56 will be brighter than a 7x42, no matter how high the transmission. I know my eyes aren't dilating to 7 mm because when I compared the Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 to my Habicht 7x42 in low light, the Habicht was brighter. The Habicht has a higher transmission but a slightly smaller exit pupil than the Fujinon.

Last edited:
As long as your eyes aren't dilating to 7 mm. Some people's eyes might dilate to 7 mm even when they are older. If your eyes are still dilating to 7 mm, the 8x56 will be brighter than a 7x42, no matter how high the transmission.

Yes you are right. I think few people above 50 years age have a maximum pupil size of more than 6mm. According to what I have investigated I have may have 6mm but not more.

Yes you are right. I think few people above 50 years age have a maximum pupil size of more than 6mm. According to what I have investigated I have may have 6mm but not more.
Your brightest binocular would be a high transmitting 7x42. Zeiss FL 7x42 or Habicht 7x42. Habicht will be the brightest.

Set up this home test and you will know exactly how how large your maximum pupil size is after about ten minutes of moderate effort. As a bonus you can set up the same test under any lighting condition, from bright sunlight to near complete darkness, to determine exactly how much of a binocular's aperture you actually use at various light levels. No guess work required!

Set up this home test and you will know exactly how how large your maximum pupil size is after about ten minutes of moderate effort. As a bonus you can set up the same test under any lighting condition, from bright sunlight to near complete darkness, to determine exactly how much of a binocular's aperture you actually use at various light levels. No guess work required!

Nothing makes you feel old like a small pupil dilation, I'm not going to measure mine or count the years from here on in.

Henry. Thanks for the test. I am going to try it.

I will check it out. I earlier tried with taking a photo with the smartphone and a mm ruler beside the eye, but the problem is that as soon as it gets dark enough for the pupil to dilate to maximum it's too dark for the camera to take a photo...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back