• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Binoculars of 2013: The Cornell Lab Review (15 Viewers)

How are the Zeiss at twilight?
I tried the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD compared to my Swarovision 8x32 tonite right at dusk and I was very impressed with it. As CSG said for a 32mm it performs superbly. It was just as bright as the Swaro. I think the only thing the Swaro has on it is the sharper edges.

I got the Demo Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD's from Cameraland and they look almost new. I just have to say I see what all the praise is about. These are superb binoculars especially for the money. I paid $675.00(Shipped). They have to be the bargain of the century. They give up very little to my Swarovision's edge sharpness being the only thing and in some ways they seem a little BETTER! I am not getting rid of the Swaro's yet but these COULD replace them. They are that good. The eyecups are just a little short for the ER so you can't jam your eyes in them. But they are not bad at all. Pretty similar to the Swaro in fact. Case, strap and objective covers and rainguards are very nice. I didn't think I liked the objective covers at first being a one piece affair with an attached removable cord but after using them it actually works pretty good. Maybe it is better than tethered objective covers.
The optics are sensational on the Zeiss. They have a BIG bright sweetspot and they are incredibly sharp on-axis. I don't have the FL's to compare them with but from memory these seem better especially when it comes to contrast. These Zeiss have wonderful contrast. It makes the bird pop out of the bush and gives you an excellent 3D view. The ergonomics are great and these are solidly built GERMAN binoculars with a great feel to them. I agree with Cornell on these. These are the best bargain I have seen. They are really alpha quality for less than $1K. The edges are not bad being better than an FL in my opinion. CA is well corrected also I didn't notice any on-axis and very, very little at the edges. I think like CSG said Zeiss made these TOO good for how much they are charging for them. They are going to cannabilize their Alpha sales once people get wind of just how good these are. I HIGHLY recommend these. If the mid-grade Zeiss is this good I am sure there will be a Zeiss 8x32 HT in my future.

They are really alpha - once they focus properly. Some do, some do not. In any case, even if the focus-drift problem were solved by now, to me the focus speed is way too high. I always had troubles hitting the perfect focal point, then, by accident, touched the focus wheel, which was turning way too easily, and the entire procedure of finding the focus started afresh. Optically, the Conquest HD is great, but its focus mechanism is a nuisance to me.

Cheers,
Holger

Yeah, it's a little fast just like the Terras but it hasn't been much of an issue to me. But the best focus I've ever used is on the HT's. Possibly too slow for some birders but I LOVE it. Very precise.

They are really alpha - once they focus properly. Some do, some do not. In any case, even if the focus-drift problem were solved by now, to me the focus speed is way too high. I always had troubles hitting the perfect focal point, then, by accident, touched the focus wheel, which was turning way too easily, and the entire procedure of finding the focus started afresh. Optically, the Conquest HD is great, but its focus mechanism is a nuisance to me.

Cheers,
Holger
Yes, the focus on the Conquest is fast and smooth and easy but I really don't have those problems with it. I hit focus fast and take my finger off it so I don't move it. It is very easy and totally smooth both ways. At first I thought it was too easy but now I like it. My Swarovsion has an easy smooth focuser also. It is almost the same as the Zeiss but not nearly as fast. The Conquest HD is really the first binocular I have seen that is alpha for under $1K. I think it might be a little sharper on-axis than my Swarovision's. I was comparing that tonite and man it is sharp. I can't imagine how good the HT is if it is better than the Conquests.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how well the Conquest handle stray light and veiling glare, compared to the SV's.

The ''new'' body Zeiss [HT and Terra at least] are outstanding in this regard.

Cheers,
Holger

As we have pointed out, there really is a market segment out there that wants a super-fast focus. I don't need it in every bino., but I do need one for watching butterflies and dragonflies. You can't have a bin that takes several cranks to find focus when you are trying to spot bugs!

The HT is almost too slow for this application, Swaro's are worse - unusable, but both are superb elsewhere. I have spent many years with a super-fast Bausch and Lomb Elite, so I have no problems with them.

As we have pointed out, there really is a market segment out there that wants a super-fast focus. I don't need it in every bino., but I do need one for watching butterflies and dragonflies. You can't have a bin that takes several cranks to find focus when you are trying to spot bugs!

The HT is almost too slow for this application, Swaro's are worse - unusable, but both are superb elsewhere. I have spent many years with a super-fast Bausch and Lomb Elite, so I have no problems with them.
I agree. The super fast focus takes a little getting used to but it advantageous in situations like you are talking about with the butterflies and dragonflies. Also, hummingbirds. Even using it birding I like it. I am on my bird and bam it is in focus. Kind of nice.

I'd be interested to know how well the Conquest handle stray light and veiling glare, compared to the SV's.

The ''new'' body Zeiss [HT and Terra at least] are outstanding in this regard.
Funny you should ask. I just compared the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD to my Swarovision 8x32 tonite at sunset for veiling glare and stray light and I found the Zeiss to be superior on both counts. I know the Swarovision is not known for handling glare and stray light well and the Zeiss was without doubt better. I am curious if the HT handles veiling glare and stray light better than the Conquests HD. In my opinion compared to other binoculars I have owned the Zeiss was better than most I have tested and used. It must have exceptional baffling.

I just got my first look through the 8x42 Conquest late yesterday evening while checking out shorebirds at our local "beach," and compared it directly with the HT. This beach is on the west coast of florida, and glare is a big problem at this time of day. The conquest handled this situation pretty good. I would say it preforms about the same, maybe a bit better, compared to other alpha level bins I have tried, but still has a bit of that hazy look. The HT and the Terra are both better in this area, with the HT being the best I have ever experienced. It seems strange that Zeiss apparently did not include the same excellent baffling it used on the others. I really enjoyed the fast focusing speed, which is the one minor gripe I have with the HT, and had no problems reaching perfect focus. If the 10x Conquest is as good as the 8x, I REALLY want one!

Last edited:
Well, if I understand correctly, the HT's were designed, primarily, as hunting glasses and the focus was made slower to accommodate the needs of hunters.

I think I heard this from Steve Ingram. The HT's are slowest, then the HD's, and the Terras are quicker still. Something like 1 3/4, 1 1/2, and 1 turn.

I just got my first look through the 8x42 Conquest late yesterday evening while checking out shorebirds at our local "beach," and compared it directly with the HT. This beach is on the west coast of florida, and glare is a big problem at this time of day. The conquest handled this situation pretty good. I would say it preforms about the same, maybe a bit better, compared to other alpha level bins I have tried, but still has a bit of that hazy look. The HT and the Terra are both better in this area, with the HT being the best I have ever experienced. It seems strange that Zeiss apparently did not include the same excellent baffling it used on the others. I really enjoyed the fast focusing speed, which is the one minor gripe I have with the HT, and had no problems reaching perfect focus. If the 10x Conquest is as good as the 8x, I REALLY want one!
I guess Zeiss had to give the HT's some advantages or everybody would just buy the Conquest HD's right?

Last edited:
Well, if I understand correctly, the HT's were designed, primarily, as hunting glasses and the focus was made slower to accommodate the needs of hunters.

I think I heard this from Steve Ingram. The HT's are slowest, then the HD's, and the Terras are quicker still. Something like 1 3/4, 1 1/2, and 1 turn.
How do the Conquest's HD 8x32 compare to your Nikon 8x32 SE in handling stray light and veiling glare? I now the SE's are quite good in this respect.

Not one Steiner binocular reviewed, not even their alpha quality.

Perhaps the Cornell birders don't review binos produced by arms manufacturers, or perhaps Steiner didn't send a sample for review, or perhaps Beretta (who own Steiner) feel that they have more global marketing muscle ... who knows. Whatever it was the reviewers can't review what's not to hand ...

I can say that the lab reached out to all optics companies asking the same "Please provide a sample of your product lineup for review". If they were not reviewed, they probably didn't have them. I'm fairly sure the products industry background didn't play a part.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back