• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bino's for Astronomy under 1K (1 Viewer)

ticl2184

Hey guys...

Can you suggest the best pair of Binoculars for Astronomy for £1000.00..

I've lost faith in Swarovski because of there awful quality control of late..

Apologies. I know this is not a Swarovski targeted post but it's because of Swarovski I'm looking to source a high end pair of either 10x50's, 10x60's, 10x70's or 10x100's...

Maybe the 10x70's Nikon ... But I've never looked through a pair so any guidance would be appreciated...

Cheers
Tim

I have the Nikon 10X70, which I rarely use, it has a small FOV the APOV is low and it is heavy. One can appreciate it for having sharp views of the stars to the field stop under very dark skies, however to really enjoy it, Bortle 3 or less IMO. Sorry about your experiences, but I enjoy my X50/56 Swarovski glass under the night sky. Maybe look at Vortex, they seem to be one of the few manufacturers that make 10X50/12X50 models approaching your price range.

I have the Nikon 10X70, which I rarely use, it has a small FOV the APOV is low and it is heavy. One can appreciate it for having sharp views of the stars to the field stop under very dark skies, however to really enjoy it, Bortle 3 or less IMO. Sorry about your experiences, but I enjoy my X50/56 Swarovski glass under the night sky. Maybe look at Vortex, they seem to be one of the few manufacturers that make 10X50/12X50 models approaching your price range.
Many thanks for that..

I'll look into it..

Cheers
Tim

The Canon IS 15 x 50 is a good candidate for handheld astro viewing. You can wander through a lot of the Messier objects with it. I've used it in conjunction with a laser pointer to guide folks to the right spot in the sky.

-Bill

The Canon IS 15 x 50 is a good candidate for handheld astro viewing. You can wander through a lot of the Messier objects with it. I've used it in conjunction with a laser pointer to guide folks to the right spot in the sky.

-Bill
Thanks Bill..

What's the edge of field chromatic aberration like...

I've never tested them..

Cheers

Tim

At least think about the Fujinon 10X70 FMT-SX.

To reiterate what Joachim said above.

There is also a 16X70, but if you have a big nose, you will have trouble with them.

Frankly, most astronomers in the U.K. use 10x50 binoculars costing £100 or less.
Say an Aculon 10x50.
This is plenty good enough.

However, I do use Canon IS binoculars for astronomy.
10x30, 10x42, 15x50 or 18x50.

Using a top end binocular is overkill.
If one has a fine binocular use it.

Using a very heavy ED binocular is also overkill, unless one uses a tripod.
I don't use a tripod.

I used a Minolta 10x50 Standard MK with 7.8 degree field for ten years of astronomy.

I used a Russian 12x45 for ten years. It still performs well and the yellow cast is not a problem for astronomy.

Also a Japanese 12x50 Utraview, best of six.

Bird watchers needs for a binocular are different to astronomers needs.

Some variable star observers with 100,000s of accurate observations use beaten up Japanese 10x50s decades old.

A clear very dark sky is much more important than which binocular is used.

Regards,
B.

Over the last month I've been using a Canon IS 12x36 for both birdwatching in daylight and astronomy, and while the performance during day hours leaves something to be desired in terms of sharpness and (especially) chromatic aberration, the night performance is simply stellar. I'm talking about hand held use here, and they're simply magic. You press the button and suddenly you're floating effortlessly in space, gliding from one constellation to another, double stars are split so easily, and clusters show distinct stars. I like the fact that they have a fully usable 5º FOV (while +6 º is the norm among 10x50 binoculars, is not that unusual to find very capable 10x50 models with a mere 5º FOV, which for a 12x I find more than acceptable). During the night, comfortably reclined on a chair with the Canon IS 12x36, the IS really show their strength. They're well within your budget. Yes, IS takes some getting used to and has many quirks and downsides, but you simply see more (more detail, more stable).

If you are looking into handheld astronomy binoculars, I can recommend Roger Vine's website scopeviews.co.uk, where he makes reviews of binoculars with astronomy in mind. Anything from Zeiss (more than 10 different models), Leica, Swarovski (again, more than 10 models, several "big eyes"), Meopta, Fujinon, etc.
One very interesting thing is that, when reviewing any model he always makes a direct comparison with other similar (and well-known) one, so you have a reference. The Canon IS 12x36 are one of his current favourites. You can check what he has to say about them both in the in-depth review and also in his "Best Buys" section:

Best Buy Astronomy Binoculars

Canon 12x36 ISIII

You want high-power binoculars for finding and enjoying brighter DSOs and for quick looks at Luna or keeping track of Jupiter’s Galilean moons, but you don’t want to pay thousands. What do you buy? Well, I can tell you what I’ve bought - Canon’s 12x36 IS IIIs (not the older ISIIs, yes it makes a difference). Many cheaper high power binos are a bit compromised optically or mechanically, which usually means bad for astronomy. But these Canons have truly excellent optics, a smooth accurate focuser, decent eye relief for glasses wearers and a very light weight of about 700g with batteries.

All those things alone would make them good value, but the killer feature is of course image stabilisation. In this latest version (IS III) it just works ... and then some. Not only does this give you amazingly detailed views of the Moon, but wonderful deep sky performance too, despite the modest aperture. Even more surprisingly, planets too – I had great views of the recent Jupiter/Saturn conjunction with both planets clearly and distinctly resolved, Saturn with its handle-shaped rings.

They may be just 36mm aperture, but the stabilisation allows them to outperform good 12x50s for astronomy in many ways. The main downside is too much false colour for some terrestrial uses (birds on the wing, or nature viewing over bright water or snow), but that’s not an issue for astronomy at this magnification.

Yes, I know they’re a piece of consumer electronics, but if you want outstanding astronomy performance for a sensible price, these are my top pick.

Last edited:
I use APM 16x70 APO ED for astronomy! It is a very well corrected binoculars right to the edge! It is bright, sharp with a large eye relief. I personally consider this binoculars the best for astronomy under 1000e, at least for me!

Lots of astronomers like 10x50

But I still prefer 7x50, even in my light polluted skies outside of New York City.

you can still find Nikon pro stars or Fujinon, which both have raving reviews for under $1k

You don't need a really expensive pair of binoculars for astronomy, and if you don't plan to buy and use a binoculars mount then anything over 12-15x is going to get shaky. I've been pretty happy with my Opticron BGA 10x50s for the moon, Milky Way and brighter, wide deep sky objects, but to really view the latter you'll need dark, calm skies.

Check out the cloudy nights binocular forum: Binoculars - Cloudy Nights

APM 10x50ED and plenty of spare money for travel money, a pair of 2x “constellation binoculars” or anything else you mig want. A trigger ball headed monopod will help stabilise them, I’ve tried to make a custom forehead rest (needs another iteration) as they aren’t the lightest pair.

Peter

Hello Tim,

"Best binocular," depends on what you want to achieve. Do you want a handheld binocular, then 8x or 10x are available. At higher power one needs to mount a binocular for deep sky objects, you might need something with higher power and some kind of mount: monopod, tripod parallelogram.
For astronomy, a Porro binocular is fine and they are less expensive and provide more optical features, like wider field of view for the price. For binocular astronomy, individual focus (IF) is fine.
I cannot hold an 8x binocular steady for targets much above the horizon. Looking for planets and close approaches of comets, my 7x binoculars, 7x40-50mm, work well. With a 7x50 and clear skies, I have seen moons of Saturn. My 12x50 is mounted on a monopod but my highest magnification instrument a 15x60 is on a tripod. The 12x50, on its monopod and tilt head, is very portable. At the recent "Super Moon," I had very good views, showing mare and craters.
If there is a nearby astronomy club holding a star night, you might get a chance to look through a variety of instruments.
I would avoid the lower priced roof prism glass as they often suffer from spikes looking at bright stars or planets. Waterproofing and compactness are not particularly needed for astronomy.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
If the op does go for a large heavy binocular then a weighted paralellogram will be needed to get a non shaky image and a chair that will be comfy to use the paralellogram too!

Here's one I found on the net, been going to make one for a while, I have time now!!
EGke0kv.jpg

EDIT, Doh!! Pinewood already mentioned the use of a Paralellogram!! 😊

I bought a Celestron Skymaster 25x70, They're not that heavy but the large mag makes them shaky, Possibly also due to the fact that they're not really very good quality!!
ZpCaDQC.jpg

Even a 12x bino will take some holding still!
gqectVZ.jpg

John 👍

Last edited:
I would highly suggest the Fujinon FMT-SX or FMTR-SX 10x50.
It has a AFOV of 65-67deg, sharp to the edge.

If I could only have one Astro binocular it would be the one!!!

And as a back up/ mounted, Nikon 18x70 Astroluxe.
Nearly 72 deg AFOV.. not sharp to the edge, but it fills up your vision.
Magical looking at the stars.

Or, if you have OCD and want things to look alike..
Nikon 7x50 SP (Prostar) and 18x70 Astroluxe.
One Hand held, the other mounted.

The 7x50 and 10x70 binoculars have a smaller AFOV of 50deg.

The Fujinon 10x50 and Nikon 18x70 really stand out as Astro binoculars!

Buying them in Japan is cheaper.. and being IF Porros, they will handle shipping no problem.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back