• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Bino Story (1 Viewer)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
Met an old boy at the hide yesterday.
He had a very old, very worn pair of bins around his neck held by a piece of string!!
I couldn't distinguish the make, and he couldn't remember the make😅.... but we got talking, and he said he had 'thought' about replacing them.
I took one look through them, and agreed they were not the best. It was sunny, and it looked like a foggy day through those old bins.... just awful.
I asked him his budget..... his reply was...

'Its not about the money, I don't really need them too good, because all the birds feed from my hands. I've been feeding them for many years, and they all come to me now.
Don't really need good binos when they're that close. I spend over £500 a year on bird food'

Brilliant.... what a bloke!!😊

Met an old boy at the hide yesterday.
He had a very old, very worn pair of bins around his neck held by a piece of string!!
I couldn't distinguish the make, and he couldn't remember the make😅.... but we got talking, and he said he had 'thought' about replacing them.
I took one look through them, and agreed they were not the best. It was sunny, and it looked like a foggy day through those old bins.... just awful.

'Its not about the money, I don't really need them too good, because all the birds feed from my hands. I've been feeding them for many years, and they all come to me now.
Don't really need good binos when they're that close. I spend over £500 a year on bird food'
I reckon his binos could probably be cleaned/serviced for not much more than a tenth of what he spends on bird food - and if all his birdwatching was done at the feeder or handfeeding birds he wouldn't be visiting a hide, would he?

I reckon his binos could probably be cleaned/serviced for not much more than a tenth of what he spends on bird food - and if all his birdwatching was done at the feeder or handfeeding birds he wouldn't be visiting a hide, would he?
Crikes!! Are you a fun sponge.... it was just an amusing and pleasant meet with an old boy.
It's Friday.... go n treat yourself to a beer!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back