• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bird recorders for field recording (1 Viewer)

What are your favorite field recorders to record birds?
I used to use a cheap generic "dictaphone" from Amazon which I used for recording species seen on WeBS surveys (early 90s). Worked superbly for about 5 years when I had to stop doing the survey. I gave it to the young woman who took over my patch and she used it for a few years more before dropping it in the River Mersey.

MixPre-3 II powered by a USB-C cable to a power bank is great with its 32-bit float capabilities. Compact and lightweight at 16.8 ounces and it can be used with XLR or phone mic inputs. I like being able to use it in a shoulder bag and either hand hold the mic or have the mic on a stand.

The user interface of the Sound Devices recorders is incredibly good. I have a Zoom H6 recorder and I tried the Zoom F6 before going with the MixPre from Sound Devices. The user interface of the Zoom F6 is like something out of the 1980's and after a day with it I returned it.

Not sure if this is a thread asking for recommendations, or a straw pole of the great and the good (e.g. the favourite recorder I have ever owned). If the latter then the Sound Devices 702 wins my vote - beautifully engineered, sturdy as anything, crystal clear pre-amps, two XLR inputs and phantom power. The menu was a bit clunky, but it never let me down and I could operate it with my big fingers - if only it was 32bit float, I would have never needed for anything else. I have still got the recorder which is going strong after 17 years, although I tend not to use it now I have purchased 32 bit float recorders.

If it is recommendations, I would suggest first thinking about how you want to use a recorder and what you want it to be (drop-rig, all-in-one, small footprint/travel friendly, mono, stereo, multi-track, ambisonic etc). If you are looking for using the recorder with an external mic, then pairing the two may be a consideration - for example I like the Zoon F3 with Telinga Pro Science Parabola, as I can mount the recorder from the dish handle, which makes the setup quite compact. There is a separate thread on this on this forum.

I would recommend only considering a 32bit float recorder, as it think it is really useful for making recordings of transient sounds, when it may be hard to get a fix on recording levels. Not really a risk, but it must be float and not just 32bit. I got an app for my IPhone which can record in 16, 24 and 32bit, but importantly it is not a 32bit float recording. There is no real point in a 32bit depth for field work. I would argue in fact that 24bit is really best for studio recordings, but then this seems to be the minimum standard on most recorders nowadays. Basically the bit depth increases the dynamic range, so the difference between the loudest and the quietest thing you can record - in field recordings the background environment noise will probably be 30+dB, and will drown out anything quieter than that. 32bit float is wholly different and makes a big change to how you use the device.

For a very versatile 32bit recorder that you can do most things with, perhaps the Mix-Pre-6 II. Not much difference in size to the Mix-Pre 3 mentioned above, and you can do ambisonics (if you have a mic and buy the plug-in). Probably a bit unlikely on most budgets, but with 4 inputs to run a couple of static stereo rigs simultaneously, or perhaps run a static stereo rig, but still sit their with a mono directional mic on a third input that you can point at whatever moves. The only thing not to like is the fiddly menus and user interface, which I sometimes find hard to control. The input routing and how to control recording levels can be a bit unintuitive and leave you twiddling knobs to no avail - a 32bit-float thing I think.

The Mix-Pre's can chew up batteries, so you do need the USB-C cable to a power bank mentioned above, or alternatively the 3rd party battery sled which accepts L and M type rechargeable video batteries.

The trouble with 32bit float is that you need a computer with program to set things strait. And after that, what do you get? Sound Devices deleted the current drawn from the AA or the USB bus, but the latter does have limitations if it uses the standard for USB. Now why is that? Because its a little too much? Now you don't have any reference for calculating power consumption and how many sets of batteries you need. You need to know what you are going to do with your recordings in order to choose the best option. In today's digital recorders noise is not an real issue any more, but you can record or you can't record. You need to set the record level for each channel with a trimmer direct accessible. Not hidden in some menu, then you are far too slow for compensating. I use Tascam stuff, DR-60DmkII and DR-701D.

[..] Sound Devices deleted the current drawn from the AA or the USB bus, [...]
Hello Joop99:
Can you please explain what the above statement means? Thank you.
B.T.W. I can my run my MixPre3-II for many, many hours on a USB-C powerbank (one phantom power mic recording).
Werner

In the past I primarily used a Tascam DR-05X, and found it a good option for a single, lightweight unit that you can put in your pocket.

For (plane-based) travel I take a Zoom H5, either with the standard X-Y mic capsule, or with the SGH-6 shotgun capsule.

I use a Rapberry-Pi system, described elsewhere in this forum, with a Blue Yeti Nano ominidrectional mic, in order to monitor audio in my backyard. I seldom upload the recordings, as I try to keep both of the above hand recorders running for much of the day, one in the front yard and one in the back. If something interesting happens, I pull the audio from those.

My serious rig is now a Zoom F3 32-bit recorder paired with a Sennheiser MKH-416 in a Micolive blimp/dead-cat/pistol grip mount.

In the past I primarily used a Tascam DR-05X, and found it a good option for a single, lightweight unit that you can put in your pocket.
Agreed, I have one and can hold it in one hand and hold bins at the same time, if a bit of rain comes along I just hit pause and pop it in my pocket until it passes.

Sound Devices deleted the current drawn from the AA or the USB bus, but the latter does have limitations if it uses the standard for USB.
They say it needs 7.5 W. It’s pretty clear.
What do you mean with “standard for USB”? The old standard was limited to 500 mA at 5 V.

But the more recent USB-C offers more options. Of course it doesn’t help that there are a lot of non compliant implementations all over the place. That’s why they explain that you need a proper USB-C power bank AND a proper USB-C cable with the right configuration.

Another option are the L-mount video batteries of course.

The trouble with 32bit float is that you need a computer with program to set things strait.
Quite a few audio programs use 32 bit float internally in any case, so when you think you are working in 16 or 24 bit it has already been converted internally for editing. Most programs can also read 32 bit float files, including Audacity which is free.
You need to set the record level for each channel with a trimmer direct accessible
There is really no need to worry about recording levels with 32 bit float. When I first recorded with a 32 bit float recorder I was twiddling knobs, thinking I must be doing something, and getting into a panic that not much seemed to be changing. Then I read the manual! Of course you may need to control the balance when you are doing a stereo recording, but that is a different thing.

With 32bit float, clipping is impossible (you will get mic distortion before clipping from loud sounds) and there is so much head room that even the quietest recording can be recovered and set to a reasonable level in post - the noise floor with 32 bit float is very low, whereas with 16 or even 24 bit recordings, a very weak recording will be below the noise floor and the detail lost. Sound Devices have include some examples of 'recovered' 32 bit float recordings, which were deliberately recorded with the wrong gain and recovered in post - see Over/Under in 32bit Float. There is also an example of a two recordings taken with very low recording levels and recovered in post here Low signal 32 bit float - this example shows how much better the recovered 32 bit float recording is compared to the recovered 24bit recording.

To me 32 bit float is the only way forward if you are recording mobile and transient sounds. Using 16 or 24 bit is fine when you have a static vocalist or a soundscape - then of course you can adjust levels and get everything perfect, and finally press record. But there are so many occasions when this luxury simply does not exists - most calling birds (particularly if the sound is transient and the bird mobile), singing birds that tend not to stay in one place (say Cetti's Warblers, which I find have the uncanny habit of popping up and blow a nice recording). Then of course there is always that rare opportunity, when you don't know how long the birds is going to sing or whether it will sing again, and you agonize whether you should change the levels mid way through a song.

32 Bit devices like the Zoom F2 and F3 don't even seem to have gain control and I can attest that they still work - just adjust in post!

Last edited:
and can hold it in one hand and hold bins at the same time
Probably not the best method, but I can actually do this with my Telinga parabola and the Zoom F3 - as long as the device is recording - point the parabola using one hand and hold bins with the other - and I don't have to press any buttons, and create the risk of handling noise.

Probably not the best method, but I can actually do this with my Telinga parabola and the Zoom F3 - as long as the device is recording - point the parabola using one hand and hold bins with the other - and I don't have to press any buttons, and create the risk of handling noise.
My main use is semi-permanent recording whilst I bird, mostly I only hit pause to switch to my phone to update my birdtrack list. If the going is soft and quiet I can keep it going more or less full time, if I'm scrunching along a gravel path - not.

Hello Joop99:
Can you please explain what the above statement means? Thank you.
B.T.W. I can my run my MixPre3-II for many, many hours on a USB-C powerbank (one phantom power mic recording).
Werner
That they don't give the right specifications. You can't calculate how much batteries you need. Powerbank nice, but useless if you go into the bush, trees don't have power outlets, solar power, forget it, tried that, but takes too long before your recharables are full. So you need to take the power with you. And before they deleted the power consumption it didn't match with specifications from Tascam wth same power use. The Tascam does do far longer with the batteries then the SD.

Quite a few audio programs use 32 bit float internally in any case, so when you think you are working in 16 or 24 bit it has already been converted internally for editing. Most programs can also read 32 bit float files, including Audacity which is free.

There is really no need to worry about recording levels with 32 bit float. When I first recorded with a 32 bit float recorder I was twiddling knobs, thinking I must be doing something, and getting into a panic that not much seemed to be changing. Then I read the manual! Of course you may need to control the balance when you are doing a stereo recording, but that is a different thing.

With 32bit float, clipping is impossible (you will get mic distortion before clipping from loud sounds) and there is so much head room that even the quietest recording can be recovered and set to a reasonable level in post - the noise floor with 32 bit float is very low, whereas with 16 or even 24 bit recordings, a very weak recording will be below the noise floor and the detail lost. Sound Devices have include some examples of 'recovered' 32 bit float recordings, which were deliberately recorded with the wrong gain and recovered in post - see Over/Under in 32bit Float. There is also an example of a two recordings taken with very low recording levels and recovered in post here Low signal 32 bit float - this example shows how much better the recovered 32 bit float recording is compared to the recovered 24bit recording.

To me 32 bit float is the only way forward if you are recording mobile and transient sounds. Using 16 or 24 bit is fine when you have a static vocalist or a soundscape - then of course you can adjust levels and get everything perfect, and finally press record. But there are so many occasions when this luxury simply does not exists - most calling birds (particularly if the sound is transient and the bird mobile), singing birds that tend not to stay in one place (say Cetti's Warblers, which I find have the uncanny habit of popping up and blow a nice recording). Then of course there is always that rare opportunity, when you don't know how long the birds is going to sing or whether it will sing again, and you agonize whether you should change the levels mid way through a song.

32 Bit devices like the Zoom F2 and F3 don't even seem to have gain control and I can attest that they still work - just adjust in post!
You missed the point, you need a computer and a programme before you can do something with your sound.
You can still overload your preamps, 32bit float does only say something about the AD converter.

You missed the point, you need a computer and a programme before you can do something with your sound.
You can still overload your preamps, 32bit float does only say something about the AD converter.
Not sure that needing a computer should put people off 32bit float, as I think most recordist use a DAW for post editing in any case. Most audio software (including Audacity, which is popular and free software) will now handle 32 bit float in any case.

If you are really stumped, then with the Mix-Pre recommended above, you don't actually need a computer or a DAW. It has an inbuilt remix/rerecord function specifically to enable processing of files without the need for a computer.

You are right that you can still in theory overload your preamps, but you would have to get things hideously wrong. In the link "Over/Under in 32 bit float" above, one of the recordings was originally recorded at circa +30dBfs and "rescued" in post without any clipping.

The Mix-Pre is stated to be able to handle a dynamic range of 142dB, so I think you would get mic distortion before you could get anywhere near this dynamic range in practice.

I suspect that the market will ultimately prove whether 32 bit float is the way to go. More 32 bit recorders are being launched each year, and I suspect that in a year or two it will be difficult to buy a new device that doesn't have 32bit float capability. Lets wait and see!

Powerbank nice, but useless if you go into the bush, trees don't have power outlets, solar power, forget it, tried that, but takes too long before your recharables are full.
Running out of power, can be a problem in certain places/situations. I was lucky to do a trip to Papua New Guinea and we stayed at a remote camp that had no electricity, so no option to recharge batteries after a day in the field. I have also stayed at other accommodation that only ran a generator 1 hour per day, and then there is also camping, when even in Europe or the USA you may not have a power hookup.

If you recorder can take a USB-C power input (Sound Devices Mix-Pre and Zoom F3 etc,) or can be powered by L-Type video batteries (Sound Devices with a optional battery sled), then I think the solution is to take enough power banks or L-Type batteries to last the period without electricity (and recharge like made when you get an opportunity). Generic L-Type batteries are now relatively cheap, so carrying a few of these batteries is not too unrealistic. Before the trip, you will soon learn how many hours you can get out of the recorder with a certain powering option, and can do a rough approximation of spare battery needs. I would be tempted to over estimate if you can, but I personally would not try and work out the number of batteries needed by doing a theoretical power calculation.

In remote locations, I actually quite like using the Wildlife Acoustics passive recorders. They are 16 bit only, and the audio quality is not amazing, but I captured some reasonable recordings in PNG, just by strapping the recorder to a tree and leaving it running - I remember reading somewhere the cheapest lavalier will outperform the most expensive shotgun, if correctly placed - not sure this is true, but with a bit of luck and the bird in the ideal range, passive recorders can do well. Batteries on these will last a week on more when recording continuously. It is a balance, but if I am somewhere new, I find it nice to focus on seeing new birds, and to take pot luck on recordings. The other advantage for the passive recorders is for nocturnal species, where they can really come into their own - for starters you don't have to be there, so you get a chance to recharge your batteries as well!

If you do take a power bank on a trip, remember to take the right charger. I made this mistake while camping in Texas. I thought that I could do a bit of charging at a nearby restaurant, but with the wrong charger the power bank would have taken took over 24 hours to recharge - with the right one it takes less than 2!

What do you mean with “standard for USB”? The old standard was limited to 500 mA at 5 V.
Never been that good at understanding volts, mAh and Watts!

If Wh = V x Ah does this mean that
  • a rechargeable AA battery is circa 2.4Ah x 1.5V = 3.6Wh?
  • an L-Type battery is circa 8.8Ah x 7.2V = 63.2Wh?
  • a power bank could be 20.0Ah x 5.0V = 100Wh?
Again stumbling here, but assuming the Mix-Pre needs 5.0 V input, does this mean that the 4 AA batteries provide this voltage (so you are not getting 4 x 3.6Wh - all batteries are being drained simultaneously with a total draw of circa 5V).

Is the run time estimate then
  • Rechargeable AA batteries - 3.6Wh/7.5W = circa 29 mins?
  • L-Type - 63.2Wh/7.5W = 8.42 hours?
  • 20000mAh power bank = 100Wh/7.5W = 13.3 Hours?
If so, this demonstrates why power banks and L Type batteries are the best option for powering the Mix-Pre.

I don't know where you get that information, visit today the page about Mixpre 3-II and not a word about power consumption, only what you can use to power the recorder. The only wattage on this page is from the net adapter.

Running out of power, can be a problem in certain places/situations. I was lucky to do a trip to Papua New Guinea and we stayed at a remote camp that had no electricity, so no option to recharge batteries after a day in the field. I have also stayed at other accommodation that only ran a generator 1 hour per day, and then there is also camping, when even in Europe or the USA you may not have a power hookup.
I go by canoe for three to four weeks with all I need, so tent, food, clothing and so on. Having batteries, special those which can be recharged, are sensitive to temperature drop in the night. If I feel that it will be cold I take it with me into the sleeping bag, but I don't have that much room for lots of (incompatible) batteries. Penlite is prefered, because it can be used in other electric things like lamps, radio, gps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back