• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best birds seen whilst working (1 Viewer)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
due to me working all over as a joiner i spend most of my time outside, today i heard a lapland bunting calling as i was cutting a worktop! which is quite good for west yorkshire

so having been working for 34 years i thought what have seen while working?

lapland bunting
snow bunting
osprey
red kite
iceland gull
waxwing

and

black browed albatross! i wasnt working but it was while i was at work so got paid

3 separate Black Redstarts around London, Marsh Warbler - Pershore nr Worcester in the days when they bred there, White winged Black Tern - Hyde Park on a study day lunch break. Knot - weird low flyover early one morning. Great White Egret when they were still rare, ditto Little Egret when they were scarce, Alpine Swift-I’d been up to see it on my lunch on Hampstead Heath then purposely kept an eye out for it from the hospital grounds where I worked for the next couple of days.

Bound to be more - had a lot of jobs over the years.
And of course Waxwing!

Last edited:
Pom Skua overhead one November when I was working at an outdoor activity centre back in Somerset. Not enough good birds (well a few good things when working as one of the wardens on the Farnes back when of course, but that's probably not in the spirirt of the thread ... ;-) )

Nothing amazing but some very pleasing sightings. Autumn Pied Fly, breeding Spot Fly, small party of Bearded Tits, Woodlark, Woodcock Waxwings, Lesser Pecker on a few occasions including a juv.and a few Turtle Doves including a bird that was happily feeding within 10 feet of people walking by at the school I used to work at.
Not included the odd bird that I detoured for when meant to be working.

Probably not but wasted on those with no foreign experience?
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, most people aren't from the UK - so as long as locality is taken into account, it's a fair comparison. If anything, the one category that should probably be excluded from this "competition" is professional birders, e.g. tour guides who obviously get some of the most fantastic ticks while working.

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, most people aren't from the UK - so as long as locality is taken into account, it's a fair comparison. If anything, the one category that should probably be excluded from this "competition" is professional birders, e.g. tour guides who obviously get some of the most fantastic ticks while working.
Despite it's membership expanding, this is / was a British site and most topics such as this one, are started by and generally aimed at Brits whilst all are welcome of course.

This was also stated in the last thread on this topic.

Despite it's membership expanding, this is / was a British site and most topics such as this one, are started by and generally aimed at Brits.
There are loads of American and European birders on here surely they are more than welcome to contribute. It would be great if they explained why the birds are noteworthy i.e rarity level unusual circumstances etc.

There are loads of American and European birders on here surely they are more than welcome to contribute. It would be great if they explained why the birds are noteworthy i.e rarity level unusual circumstances etc.
why did you miss off the last few words of my post?

' whilst all are welcome of course.'

I usually see Gyr Falcon a few times every winter from the comfort of my chair at work. I imagine they go past every day in winter but I am supposed to look at the computer screen rather than out of the window so I miss them. I've also had lifer Northern Bottlenose Whale out of this window.

Having worked on or around the North Tees marshes and Hartlepool headland for the last 40 years or so I've been lucky enough to see quite a few decent birds while on pay including Glaucous Winged Gull, Wilsons Phalarope, Whiskered Tern and Temminks Stint. Birds I've not seen but were in the area at the time include Great Knot, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Pallid Harrier and many more I didn't know about until after they departed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back