• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best for £400(ish) please. (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I'm taking someone to get new binoculars.

I have Opticron 8X42 BGA WP's (whatever that means) and am happy with them.
He will be trying various makes at a reputable stockist but I would like to know what the latest thinking re' glass, light gathering & build quality is.

I realise some things are very personal (eye relief & general 'feel' etc) but would appreciate some general advise.

One that we are interested in is the Hawke Frontier which cost less than £300.00.
Thanks

I'm taking someone to get new binoculars.

I have Opticron 8X42 BGA WP's (whatever that means) and am happy with them.
He will be trying various makes at a reputable stockist but I would like to know what the latest thinking re' glass, light gathering & build quality is.

I realise some things are very personal (eye relief & general 'feel' etc) but would appreciate some general advise.

One that we are interested in is the Hawke Frontier which cost less than £300.00.
Thanks

I would recommend a Nikon Monarch 8x42 or a Canon 10x30 IS.

David,

I agree with Dennis that the Monarch and the Canon IS are worth a look. The Hawke Frontier ED is a very popular choice at the moment. Others worth looking out for are the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD, Opticron Verano and Imagic BGA SE. I personally like the Opticron HRWP but porros are not to everyone's taste. If he can push the budget a little the Minox HG are a different class to the others in my opinion. The ex-demos here are only just over budget.
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/minox_bino/minox_bino_fs.html.

Good luck,

David

I have the 8x43 ED Hawkes. Fantastic bins and paid less that £300.00. Try AR Hawkins in Cambridge for a deal. I was very pleased with the service. Cley Spey can be dear. In this months Birdwatching mag they have some new Vision (?) bins that are ED and priced similar to the Hawkes.

Decision made-Opticron

It was interesting to watch him struggle to make the decision......I was glad it was not me.
In the end he went for Opticron 10X40 and I have to agree they are easy to handle, sharp and bright (on what was a very dull day).
Interestingly-out of all the 8X I thought the Hawke was as good or close to as any up to £400.00 although a bit on the bulky side.
Another interesting point......I tried the new Swarovski 8X EL's at over £1,500 and couldn't see a great leap in quality/bightness against my Opticton 8X. I am over 60 and wear specs which may affect things.

The Hawke Frontier 8x43ED is very good value, and worth looking through. UK eBay has some truly superb new Nikon binoculars from Hong Kong currently: 8x30 EII for £275 and 10x35 EII for £299, both post free, if you don't mind waiting, and may attract customs duty and VAT, but still bargain prices for some of the finest porroprism binoculars ever made, regardless of price. However, these Nikons are not waterproof, if that's important. The same source has rugged Nikon Monarch 8x42 DCF WP for £175, post free. DCF means roof prism (D= dach, 'roof' in German) and Centre Focus. WP stands for Water Proof. Or, if you can secure the Nikon 8x32 SE porro in this country at a good price, you're unlikely to find a sharper binocular under £1,000 (or at any price?) and it's weather resistant...
Good hunting!
Oops, too late! Never mind, Opticron's a good choice...
BTW, your Opticron 'BGA' means extra eye relief/spectacle use (B) and rubber armoured (GA).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back