• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best House/Garden ticks (1 Viewer)

Siskin!! ... beat that!

4 siskins.....yeeha, :-O

I'm in the fairly common camp on this one too.
Is it "best" or "rarest" bird in your garden.
And what constitutes a garden? mine is 30' x 30' and fenced all round with adjoining gardens, and houses fore and aft.
If you lived on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors that would be a helluva garden.:-O...........but really.8-P

The best birds in my garden are still the coal tits, while I'm watching them I could quite conceivably miss a bonnelis warbler if it came and landed on my foot...lol
I've been quite lucky, as, as a newish birder as I had waxwings, reed buntings and a snipe in my first year (ish).

Coalies are still the best though, "work, work, busy, busy, work, work, bang, bang." brilliant wee birds which seem to pay no attention whatsoever to all around.
Oh, and there are the goldies, and the ..........
To be honest all of the birds which have appeared in my garden are brilliant, luv 'em allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.:t:

Ian

Haven't had any 'interesting' visitors, best for me is the rare sighting of Goldfinches in my garden as I've only seen them in my garden two or three times. I think I very nearly had a very good flyover recently though, a couple of weeks back a report went in to the Southend RSPB of an Osprey flying along the main road into town here, which would have meant it very likely to have flown over my neighbourhood!

dont have a garden so nothing mega but my balcony overhangs hartlepool marina, have had black throated, red throated and great northern diver in the winter just gone and mergansers and little grebes daily. chiffchaff and goldfinch in the 2 bushes beneath my window.

this is my favourite bird in my garden at present. This little fella came to see what I was up to working on my car today. He darted in and out of the bushes and frequently sat within 3 foot of me. He had no fear at all. His Mum ? sat about 8 foot higher and kept a watchful eye on him.

I managed about 30 pictures in total with my point n shoot camera and some are the best I've ever taken.

Attachments

• robin01mini.JPG
    robin01mini.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 27
I had a red kite day before yesterday. The only comparably good bird on my house list is grey partridge! (flying over!!)
Best sightings at previous addresses (in London & Cambs) include 6 other raptors, all 3 woodpeckers, common & sandwich terns, common redstart, lesser whitethroat, goosander, woodcock, RN parakeet & whimbrel. Also had a quail end of the road, may have been audible from the house (just).

When I lived in Wales Goshawk was a regular & at my parents house in Leicester Hobby was & still is regular & one morning a female Redstart was a nice find. At my present address, still in Leicester, I've had both spotted Woodpeckers in the trees just outside my window. The best however was a Quail heard from the flat at 0200 hrs on a hot June night about 16 years ago. I've also had numerous Hobbys a Peregrine & a couple of Buzzards.

Neil.

Tiny garden, so hardly anything actually in it, but from it the best so far (since Oct 2006) has been Alpine Swift, and Firecrest (twice, probably the same individual). Other highlights have included Little Egret, Whooper Swan, Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Brambling, and regular Goosander, Kingfisher & Dipper.

James

Best in garden.- Stonechat, White Wagtail, Carrion Crow. Yes Carrion Crow. Common as muck in England but rare here in Ireland. One visited the garden on St Patricks Day this year. A possible county first too.

Best fly over.- Hen Harrier, Merlin.

Si.

A few years back I had a Mississippi Kite. No photos, completely undocumented, and I was the only one who saw it, but it couldn't have been anything but.

Best birds would be Grasshopper Warbler and Crossbill. In garden, never had House Sparrow or Starling in 20 years

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back