• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best lens cleaning cloth - which one? (1 Viewer)

Trinovid

mountain and glacier watcher
United States
I've got several microfiber lens cleaning cloths and wondered if they're all the same, or if some are better than others?

Is everyone here using whatever comes to hand or are you really selective about them?

I've got several microfiber lens cleaning cloths and wondered if they're all the same, or if some are better than others?

Is everyone here using whatever comes to hand or are you really selective about them?
I use very clean soft cotton handkerchieves but very gently only, and after having first blown the dust off. Or else, I first rinse the lens under running cold water, and then proceed as above. Having used my optics for many years without obvious negative side effects, I can recommend the procedure. Of course that only works for old-fashioned fellows who still use home-washed handkerchieves. ;)

I quite like the K&F Concept microfibre cloths.

I use the Zeiss disposable wipes. Less chance that sand or grit gets caught in the weave and scratches your lens coatings.

Otherwise 3M makes a decent reusable lens cleaning cloth with a distinctive waffle structure, sold in packs of 10 individually wrapped cloths, model 9021.

(oddly couldn’t find a reference on 3M’s own website).

Just ordered some of those Zeiss wipes... £3.80 for 24 free delivery.
Thanks... will give those a try 👍

Another vote for the Zeiss wipes. They do seem to work better on some lenses/coatings than others. Some can be completely cleaned just with the wipe while there are some streaks left on others that I gently polish away with a breath and cloth.

Many of my bins came with nice cloths and I bought several cleaning kits but otherwise have no experience with aftermarket cloths. Opticron bins comes with very nice cloths, as well as the euro brands.

Mike

Very selective, use them for TV and spectacles. Use cotton wool balls on binocular and camera glass

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back