• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s your preferred cleaning method? (1 Viewer)

Gdavis248

United States
Hey all,

Just wondering what techniques are out there for cleaning binoculars safely, i.e avoiding scratches or any other damage.

And I mean basic cleaning, not necessarily deep clean like I just dropped them in a mud pit.

Right now I have some Zeiss cleaning spray, microfiber cloth, some Zeiss cleaning wipes, a lens pen, and an air puffer thingy.

I try to avoid cleaning (since I’m nervous about scratches) but I was just wondering if there’s a better way to do things!

Also, just fyi I have Swaro EL’s.

Thanks!

I'm not an experienced binocular cleaner but so far I've used the same steps & tools that I've used for my camera lenses the last decade:
1. Start with an air blower to remove dirt & larger particles
2. Use my old Lenspen to first brush of smaller particles and then the opposite side to remove smudges
3. Finish with a microfiber cloth

Haven't caused any scratches on my camera lenses or binoculars yet with that method but I'm sure there are more refined processes out there.

Hey all,

Just wondering what techniques are out there for cleaning binoculars safely, i.e avoiding scratches or any other damage.

And I mean basic cleaning, not necessarily deep clean like I just dropped them in a mud pit.

Right now I have some Zeiss cleaning spray, microfiber cloth, some Zeiss cleaning wipes, a lens pen, and an air puffer thingy.

I try to avoid cleaning (since I’m nervous about scratches) but I was just wondering if there’s a better way to do things!

Also, just fyi I have Swaro EL’s.

Thanks!
Air Blower Brush + a (clean) micro-fiber cloth.

(also avoid cleaning too often)

Blower (one way air fill through in-built filter) to remove any particles, cotton wool balls and water, use in a gentle circular motion, dry with cotton wool balls, remove any cotton with blower.
Infrequently.
Same for camera lenses; any microfibre cloths given with binoculars are used with cleaning spray on our TV screens

Last edited:
Or a gentle squirt from a can of pfffft, followed by breathing on the lens and a gentle wiping until you can no longer see the surface.

If you can see the surface of a lens, it s probably dirty. (I think)

A side note:
In this day in the Age of Autocorrect, not all corrections are correct.
Breath = a noun. When one inhales, one is “taking a breath”
Breathe = a verb. In order to take a breath, one must be able to breathe.

Last edited:
When i talked to a mechanic from Zeiss Sports Optics about cleaning the lenses of my old 15x60 he told me to clean them with a little bit of alcohol. Don't know about the newer models with fancy coatings. I have a lens pen but don't use it. If really dirty (mud, bird poo and salt sea water) i put it gently under running water and let it dry then clean with micro fiber. For general use: Mono treatment, breath on it and wipe with the inside of shirt tail. There are shirts with a piece of micro fiber for cleaning your glasses that i use for cleaning my bins.

I was pretty sure Mono's #6 was a joke... Maybe not? Yikes!

During a tour of Leupold's scope factory years ago, was taught cotton balls and alcohol.

SwaroNA told me to take off eyecups, turn on cold water faucet, gentle flow, tip up bino and let water splay on ocular lens, wipe dry with micro fiber cloth very gently, low pressure. As objectives don't allow water to get behind stuff as at ocular, can do similar with a bit less care.

Last edited:
SwaroNA told me to take off eyecups, turn on cold water faucet, gentle flow, tip up bino and let water splay on ocular lens, wipe dry with micro fiber cloth very gently, low pressure. As objectives don't allow water access to mechanism behind as at ocular, can do similar with a bit less care, maybe...
Are you saying that Swarovski binoculars are only water resistant from the objective end, or am I confused?

Are you saying that Swarovski binoculars are only water resistant from the objective end, or am I confused?
No, sorry. They’re fully water proof for whatever depth and time spec they quote.

Gonna struggle a bit with terminology here. When you unscrew, remove the rubber/AL eyecups the ocular lens in its mount is revealed. Stands sort of proud. The body’s rubber outer covering surrounds it, comes up near it but there’s space behind, within which are the metallic parts under/behind the ocular. When running water fast onto the lens, (or just immersing the whole, which you could do), it splashes water under/behind the ocular. Technically as it’s sealed is doesn’t hurt anything but its better not to have water dripping back to the front from there after reassembly. That was the advice. The objective is much more clear cut. It is what you see. No parts removed with attendant nooks and crannies to collect water. Hopefully this makes sense.

Edited 15 above. Hopefully more clear.

Last edited:
So you pop your bins on the shelf while you open the hide window and find they have splodged in someone's unidentified lunch detritus. You then whip out your blower, your small bottles of chemicals and your cotton buds that you carry on you at all times? Or do you just wipe out the crud with your finger, breathe gently on the lens and wipe it with a random bit of clean cloth and maybe remember to give it a clean with the lens cloth it came with when you get back to the car and put the bins back in their case?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back