• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

between paplio 6.5x21 ii and bushnell 10x25 legend ? (2 Viewers)

piero

Hi All,
I have a bushnell legend 10x25, quite good for pocket-size and great optic but after hiking it is a pain to keep still (for me).
While papilio ii 6.5x21 is a joy but is very very fragile (I broke one) and not as pocketable.
Do you have a suggestion for a model that can mix the good parts of both?
Thanks a lot

What's your budget?

I find most 10x25's too twitchy, but some get on with them. I'd look at 7x21 or 8x25s.

My favorite 10x25 binos are the Swarovski Pocket Mountain. Weight is only 12.5 ounces and folded up inside the carry case they are compact enough to fit in a jacket pocket or a waterbottle sleeve on a pack. With the lenses fully extended I can comfortably rest them inside my eye sockets and this does a lot to stabilize them with their 10x magnification.

Thanks, the Hawke appears very interesting.
What about Trinovid 8x20 bc ?

The older Trinovid 8x20 BC is still a competitive pocket model IMO and is smaller than the modern version. But some samples will have loose hinges or tight focus function from years of use or just age. I enjoy mine and they will easily fit in a normal shirt or pants pocket.

Mike

The older Trinovid 8x20 BC is still a competitive pocket model IMO and is smaller than the modern version. But some samples will have loose hinges or tight focus function from years of use or just age. I enjoy mine and they will easily fit in a normal shirt or pants pocket.

Mike
Thank you, I'll try one of them and see if the binoculars I was searching for.
Thanks

I find the 10x25 to be the least fun to use of the standard binocular types, so I understand where you stand. High magnification combined with small exit pupil, low weight and usually narrow FoV results in shakes and lack of satisfaction from use. Nikon HGL 8x20 and 8x20 Leica should just barely fit in your budget. Worth checking them out in person. They have tiny eyecups, which is annoying, but it is possible to put extra rubber eyecups over them, which look decent enough and significantly improve comfort of use.

What's your budget?

I find most 10x25's too twitchy, but some get on with them. I'd look at 7x21 or 8x25s.
I sold the Leica Ultravid 8x20 because of it's "twitchyness" . Too fiddly for me .

The Bushnell Elite Custom Compact 7x26 (made in Japan) and myself got along famously , it's too bad they don't carry them anymore . Smaller than the Papilio , better optics , larger exit pupil and better build quality . Perhaps a used one ?
I see that ebay has a few new ones although they want more than double what I paid for mine . Not worth what they're asking unless you're a Custom Compact junkie .

Custom Compact

Last edited:
I sold the Leica Ultravid 8x20 because of it's "twitchyness" . Too fiddly for me .

The Bushnell Elite Custom Compact 7x26 (made in Japan) and myself got along famously , it's too bad they don't carry them anymore . Smaller than the Papilio , better optics , larger exit pupil and better build quality . Perhaps a used one ?
I see that ebay has a few new ones although they want more than double what I paid for mine . Not worth what they're asking unless you're a Custom Compact junkie .

Custom Compact

The older squarer Custom Compacts are still nice binoculars too, although the coatings aren't quite up to contemporary standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back