• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magnesium or Polycarbonate? (1 Viewer)

… maybe zeiss needs to make some more “extreme abuse” videos of other models, to show that the lighter models are still perfectly robust.
so we can "enjoy the intensity without the weight" in peace of mind? :unsure:

@Hermann - jring has made some interesting comments over the years about the West German service glasses which more or less echo yours. It does look as though the Steiner model was not built tough enough for that purpose (though one wonders if an improved design in the same material might have been up to the task). I would imagine the polycarbonate/Makrolon body ought to be fine for civilian use?

I remember some years ago trying an individual focus 7x50 on a whale watching boat (Bushnell maybe) and being surprised by its light weight - guess it was probably made from some kind of plastic. Image quality seemed pretty good too, given its likely price. In all honesty I can't say I have an issue with plastic bodies, if they're robust enough for their intended purpose.

Hello Hermann,

I surely enjoyed my 8x32FL with its reenforced polycarbonate body for seventeen years. When it comes to durability
this video is surely impressive.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
Hello Arthur, the subject of the video you link is the current Conquest ('HD') and its body is aluminum. (Currently, Terra: FRP, Victory: magnesium.) Best wishes, Adhoc

How many of us could actually tell the FLs were plastic if Zeiss hadn't told us so?
???? It seems obvious to me, just look down at the binos in your hands...what material is on the sides of the hinge? How does plastic feel in the hinge versus metal?

???? It seems obvious to me, just look down at the binos in your hands...what material is on the sides of the hinge? How does plastic feel in the hinge versus metal?
I would never know if not alerted. It's a nice textured finish very reminiscent of any good metal finish. ANd there's little there - at least none that I handle that isn't under rubber armor.

Is there any manufacturer using Carbon Fibre? If not possibly why?

Hi Binocollector (post #28),

Well spotted!

- - - -
A bit more info from the Vanguard site:
VEO 1.jpg

So some stress is placed on the carbon composite body shell and the light weight.
Though there's no indication of what contribution the carbon makes, if compared to it's absence :unsure:

- - - -
And another image has some relevance to the thread: How many lens elements do sub-alphas bins have? less than alphas?

While the objective consists of 4 elements, as is found with most current premium binoculars (and also includes an ED glass element);
in contrast, the eyepiece is a simple 3 elements in 2 groups:

VEO 2.jpg

And all for $250 US recommended retail - or $200 direct from Vangard. So with a likely production cost of well under $100!

The 'Premium ED Glass', 'Outstanding Near Focus' and 'Large Field of View' claims all add doubt to the quality of what's involved,
verses the presence of (or claims of) particular features.

John

@John A Roberts
The VEO is a strange bino from the specs. The 10x42 is decently wide with the 6° but the 6.3 of the 8x42 seem a bit narrow. The model is quite cheap here in Germany on Amazon. I never looked through one. So can't say if they're any good. The marketing-blabla is the same as unfortunately many other brands. Even one of my favourite brands, DDoptics, has a lot of nonsense on their website.

Modern binoculars invariably seem to have the body made of Magnesium alloys or plastic, i .e. Polycarbonate.

Magnesium alloy bodies always tend to be heavier than polycarbonate, which is an advantage if you are viewing something for a long period. So why aren't all binoculars made from polycarbonate, is it something to do with the thermal expansion and contraction and/or the durability of the body and the stability of the prisms and lenses.
I am sure there is someone is highly knowledgeable about this aspect who could enlighten me please.
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry I haven't acknowledged them until now. Looks like this thread has opened an interesting discussion!!

so we can "enjoy the intensity without the weight" in peace of mind? :unsure:

@Hermann - jring has made some interesting comments over the years about the West German service glasses which more or less echo yours. It does look as though the Steiner model was not built tough enough for that purpose (though one wonders if an improved design in the same material might have been up to the task). I would imagine the polycarbonate/Makrolon body ought to be fine for civilian use?

I remember some years ago trying an individual focus 7x50 on a whale watching boat (Bushnell maybe) and being surprised by its light weight - guess it was probably made from some kind of plastic. Image quality seemed pretty good too, given its likely price. In all honesty I can't say I have an issue with plastic bodies, if they're robust enough for their intended purpose.
Yes I have Fujinon similar. Pretty durable and cleat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back