• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular IS for long distance. (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,

I was thinking of some powerful IS binocular, for long distance, what magnification would be more appropriate?
15x, 16x, 18x...? 28,30,42,50mm?
There are several options...
The truth is that the normal 10x ones shake a lot, that is, not IS., and the 8x ones do not have enough power for long distances, which is usual in my type of observations. I know the 12x36 one well, but I need a little more power...
Greetings and thank you.
Pepito

Canon 18x50 or Kite (Sig sauer, Bresser and Kenko have similar models, my guess is that they are all made by Kenko) 16x42 (if it's for daylight and weight might be an issue).

The Fujinon has a much wider range of IS stabilization than the Canon, ,which makes it better for use from unstable platforms such as boats.
The Canon IS is designed to offset the inherent tremor that comes from hand holding, we naturally adjust continuously to keep the glass stable, the Canon corrects the errors we make, (usually less than a degree and several times per second, about a seventh of the Fujinon correction range, which however is slower).
So if your observations are from 'terra firma', the Canon 15x or 18x50 will serve your turn, while the Fujinon is your answer if you're on a boat or in a car.
I've no experience with the Kite or related models, the feedback here on BF has been mixed though.

The Fujinon has a much wider range of IS stabilization than the Canon, ,which makes it better for use from unstable platforms such as boats.
The Canon IS is designed to offset the inherent tremor that comes from hand holding, we naturally adjust continuously to keep the glass stable, the Canon corrects the errors we make, (usually less than a degree and several times per second, about a seventh of the Fujinon correction range, which however is slower).
So if your observations are from 'terra firma', the Canon 15x or 18x50 will serve your turn, while the Fujinon is your answer if you're on a boat or in a car.
I've no experience with the Kite or related models, the feedback here on BF has been mixed though.
In my experience, the Fujinon 14x40 IS works good on 'terra firma' also. Actually a little better than the Canon's as Ken Rockwell quotes in his review.

"These Fujinons use solid-glass shifting prisms to stabilize the image. Canon uses mushy fluid-filled wet-bag prisms, which is why I suspect the Canons get softer with IS active. With IS, the Canons often have a constant dithering of the edges; artifacts of the interaction of the IS system with the motions it's attempting to counter. The Fujinons have none of these problems and lock down a sharp, rock-stable image. The Canons fade in and out of sharpness."

A university tested the Canons against the Fujinon IS binos once and it turned out that the supposedly better stabilization of the Fujis didn't really exist. Too bad that I cannot find the link anymore to this scientific test. It must have been posted either here or on cloudy nights.

Make sure you try the Canon 15x50 IS or 18x50 IS before buying them if you don't wear eyeglasses. I found the eye cups to be too long for my eye sockets, so they were basically unusable unless you fold them down. Has530 found the same thing with the Canon 15x50 IS.

"Horrible (for me) eye cups that I must use folded down even without glasses (I use a bino bandit to keep out light from the sides)"

In my experience, the Fujinon 14x40 IS works good on 'terra firma' also. Actually a little better than the Canon's as Ken Rockwell quotes in his review.

"These Fujinons use solid-glass shifting prisms to stabilize the image. Canon uses mushy fluid-filled wet-bag prisms, which is why I suspect the Canons get softer with IS active. With IS, the Canons often have a constant dithering of the edges; artifacts of the interaction of the IS system with the motions it's attempting to counter. The Fujinons have none of these problems and lock down a sharp, rock-stable image. The Canons fade in and out of sharpness."
This is all true, good review. I was going to comment the Canons are sharper with a better image, but that’s only true of the 10L. The higher magnifications canons are not on that level, so It becomes a toss up between the Fugi and canon.

For the money, the Canon 8x20 IS, 10x20 IS, 10x30 IS II, 12x36 IS III and 10x42 IS-L are probably the best choices in a Canon and I have tried them all.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back