• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Suggestions Please (1 Viewer)

w.travis

United States
I am looking to buy a new pair of bins 8x42 for birding keeping the price under $250. Please give suggestions/recommendations on specific bins. Thanks

Travis

Vortex Diamondback 8x42 $200 (or less e.g CameralandNY.com demos)

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4819
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexdiamondback8x42

Wide FOV, nice image, good eye relief, good close focus, OK size and weight, decent handling. It's a good roof starter bin.

Search the forums for diamondback reviews and comments.

If you are willing to go with 8x32 the Celestron Ultima DX (a porro) has a better image than the Diamondback with wide FOV and excellent eye relief. For $80 or $90. Perhaps the best bin for under $300. See Eagle Optics or check the Bargain Bins thread. Spend the rest of field guides or gas.

I'll leave other to suggest $100 8x42 porros. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks...do you know anything about the Leupold Cascades 8x42? I read your review on the Yosemite 6x30 but I am looking for a closer image. Maybe the Yosemite 8x30.

I don't have one yet (in the process of getting an 8x30!) mainly because they're not going to be great for me with their lesser ER (I suspect). I just added some comments to the Budget bins thread.

I've not tried the Leupold Cascades 8x42. The FOV is not as wide as I'd like but I'd suspect they're fine.

Another possibility if you don't wear eyeglasses is the Swift 820. A very nice porro that you could get for $280 or $290 (see the Binocular Bargains thread). That would keep you happy for a while.

And don't write down the Celestron. Most of the weight is in glass (oversized prisms for the non-vingetted wide FOV). It's an excellent bin.

The one thing I do recommend is to try some bins i you can. Stores. Other birders. All should help and give you a feel for the market and how they handle.

The Swift is probably a good deal. I am still able to hold 10x, but the 8.5x may satisfy many users in their power needs. It is also pretty sharp.

Many of us old timers here have yet to try owning a 8.5x Swift roof or porro.

I looked at a Swarovski 10x roof today ...borrowed one, and it was actually so well made, it was easier to hold than any 10x I have.

But start off with 8x or 8.5x.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back