• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars for Dragonflies in 2023 (1 Viewer)

Now, that's an interesting option to add to the shortlist. Many of the optical attributes I listed in my OP would seem to be present: plus I could maybe score a very good example at a good price.

What's your (or any of the many 8x32 FL owners') experience of the quality of focuser? Any slack, tight spots, gritty sensation or any other dubious characteristics?
IMO, the 8x32 FL is an excellent binocular, but it is getting a little long in the tooth compared to the 8x32 SF and 8x32 NL, and they far surpass it in FOV and edge sharpness. Two characteristics that are very important to me and would be advantageous for dragonflies. If you look around, you can get an 8x32 SF for not much more than a 8x32 FL, and then you have the best available. These 8x32 SF's are on Astromart. I bet he would take $1500, and they are like new. These used and scratched 8x32 FL's on eBay for $1550.

Last edited:
I think I have a direction of travel but just to help me finalise plans could anyone please advise on the direction the focus wheel works on the Papilio II.

Is it clockwise or anti-clockwise to go from close focus to infinity, please?

Last edited:
Not to sway the decision but for anyone reading with interest, I generally prefer the Kowa 6.5x32 for watching the larger faster moving dragonflies and Monarchs for its huge FoV. My Kowa will focus down to @ 44inches. The Papilio 6.5 is better for watching smaller slower moving insects like smaller butterflies, damselflies and sweat bees.

Mike

... I generally prefer the Kowa 6.5x32 for watching the larger faster moving dragonflies and Monarchs for its huge FoV. My Kowa will focus down to @ 44inches.

Interesting...

Same question please, Mike: which way does the focuser need to rotated to go from close focus to infinity. Is it clockwise or anti-clockwise? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back