• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID from North Slope, Alaska (1 Viewer)

I took this picture of what I initially thought was a Gray Jay at the Gubic Gas Field on Chandler River, a tributary of the Colville River, north of the Brooks Range, Alaska. The bird was seen on the verge of what is usually classified as the Extreme Arctic Coast.

The long fan shaped tail, chin whiskers, and hooked beak tip, (along with the colors, of course), when I took a good look at the picture on the computer told me I was wrong. I also think it is just a bit small to be a Gray Jay.

According to my book, The Sibley Guide to Birds, the juvenile or femail White-winged Crossbill comes the closest to matching this bird. But the brest coloration does not match well and the absence of chest and side bars isn't right. Also, my book does not show nor mention the chin whiskers seen on this bird.

Can anyone help me identify this bird please. Thank you.

Attachments

• Bird at Gubic Gas Field.jpg
    Bird at Gubic Gas Field.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 179
It is a Northern Shrike. Looks to be a bird transitioning from juvenile to adult plumage.

Best,
Jim

[EDIT: Posting at the same time as Graham. Photo indicates it was taken May 26 of this year.]

Thank you Graham. The coloration in my book is for the Northern Shrike shows a definate black bar from the bill through the eye onto the neck. I bypassed that page since my bird has an almost all black head. (I sure wish some of the side shots had turned out - but it was always behind one of the tree limbs.) I generally have the date as part of the file name, but I had changed that. The picture was taken July 12, 2007. This could be a stage between young juvenile and adult.
A posting by Jim Moore says it is a Northern Shrike and looks like one between the Juvenile and Adult stage.

I appreciate the help.

Dickie

Jim:
The picture was taken July 12, 2007. May is a bit early to be up on the Arctic Coast taking bird pictures. There is still a lot of ice up that way yet.
Thank you for identifying it for me. I think I could have done it myself if I had stopped at the Northern Shrike page, but since my bird is light on the bottom and dark on the top I skipped right past it. I like the Northern Shrike identification because it does range up there where I took the picture.

Dickie

The picture was taken July 12, 2007. This could be a stage between young juvenile and adult.

Juvenile plumage lacks the black mask but also the gray back. This bird appears to largely lack a mask, but it does have a gray back. So I think that does support the idea that it is in a transition phase; or perhaps it is a first winter bird.

By the way, the EXIF data associated with the photo indicates it was taken May 26, 2008. That is apparently incorrect. Quite strange.

best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back